Apostle's creed instead of Nicene during Mass?

I know some people who go to a Mass where the Apostle’s creed is said in place of the Nicene.

Is this a problem?

The Apostles Creed may be said, but it should only be done on occasion.

Wow, that was fast; thanks :slight_smile:

What is it’s done regularly? And now I’m curious: what would be a reason for doing so occasionally?

Technically, there is nothing that says it should be done on occasion, but since the Nicene Creed is the norm, and was recited in the Mass for centuries, and was only recently allowed in the Mass, it probably should remain the norm in practice.

The Missal reads:

Instead of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed, especially during Lent and Easter Time, the baptismal Symbol of the Roman Church, known as the Apostles’ Creed, may be used.

A reason for doing so might be that the priest is in a hurry, and wants to shorten the Mass as much as possible (Form C for Penitential Rite, Eucharistic Prayer II, Apostles’ Creed, etc.) Yesterday, my pastor really dragged on the homily, and he has to say Mass in another town right after the Mass at my parish, so he used the Apostles’ Creed.

Thanks so much for your answers and the quote from the Missal! Very clear :slight_smile:

No problem! :thumbsup:

Be thankful you don’t attend a parish where no Creed (Nicene, Apostles, renewal of baptismal promises) is EVER said.

Good job speaking out against liturgical abuse. :thumbsup:

I seem to remember that during my school grade school days, we always said the Apostles Creed when attending Mass during school hours, so mostly children present.

The Apostles Creed was said today in my parish. We had the Penitential Rite for Candidates,

Liturgical abuses go THAT far? Kyrie, eleison.

You’ll be surprised. Some priests actually omit the Penitential Rite altogether.

Of course, this is justified, because we don’t want to make the congregation “feel bad about themselves.” :rolleyes:

The rubrics says that instead of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, the Apostles Creed may sometimes be used, especially during Lent and Easter. It’s not intended to be used all the time, but only on occasion.

The point is that the Apostles Creed is the ancient Roman Baptismal creed, and hence, it might be appropriate in Lent and Easter. However, it’s not limited to Lent/Easter, but just “especially” those seasons.

Yeah, we’re God’s HOLY people, you know. We’re EASTER people! We’re called to feel love and joy for each other and not focus on petty things like sin. Plus it’s so hard to sin! Really, do any of you really WANT to end your relationship with God? You don’t, do you? So you can’t sin, because you don’t want to end your relationship with God. You just want something like having sex outside of marriage. But you don’t want to stop loving GOD! You’ll keep loving God while you have sex outside of marriage! it’s nothing to do with Him! In fact, you’ll love Him MORE because you’re loving somebody else! Now just relax and hold hands with your neighbor and let’s sing "Gather Us In’ as we contemplate the empty holy water fonts that remind us that in Lent we are called to be holy water to each other. . .

Thank you. That was my understanding also. I remember this happening during Lent since my childhood.

:amen:

I live in what was one of the “most liberal” dioceses in the US, and I have NEVER experienced a priest INTENTIONALLY not using some sort of Creed- EVER!
And, I cannot believe that, if this was brought to the attention of the Ordinary, that the situation was not taken care of immediately.

Is it possible for you to make a comment on any thread without throwing some of the clergy under the bus? :mad:

And we honestly wonder why we have a priest shortage? :mad::shrug:

The Creed is usually not said at all for a weekday Mass. :confused:

But if it was a Holy Day, the Apostles Creed, even before the new Missal, was allowed for Masses for children. This is a good thing since it’s the same Creed they are memorizing (hopefully) in their religion classes.

During Lent our parish uses the 2nd option of the Penitential Act as well as the Apostles’ Creed.

The 2nd option of the Penitential Act is used during Lent in our parish, as it is not used often in other times of the year. Doing so is a reminder to us that this season is different, and a time of renewal.

The Apostles’ Creed is recited during Lent and Easter due to the following instruction in the Order of the Mass in the Roman Missal, 3rd Edition (english):

1. Instead of the Niceo-Constantinopolitan Creed, especially during Lent and Easter Time, the baptismal Symbol of the Roman Church, known as the Apostles’ Creed, may be used.

In Canada we’ve been using the Apostles Creed almost exclusively since 1975. We had an indult to do so but now no indult is necessary.

More often than not, I don’t hear it at the Spanish Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.