Apostle's Creed or Nicene Creed

i know both are valid options, but who decides which to use at Mass?

As far as I know, the priest. Thus he can make the call if, for instance, it happens to be a Mass with a lot of children.

The Missale makes clear, though, that the Nicene is the ordinary creed. As it says,
19. Loco symboli nicaeno- constantinopolitani, praesertim tempore Quadragesimae et tempore paschali, adhiberi potest symbolum baptismale Ecclesiae Romanae sic dictum Apostolorum.

“In place of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan symbol (creed), chiefly in time of Lent and in Paschal Time, the baptismal symbol (creed) of the Roman Church called the Apostles’ can be employed.”

thanks Mark!

i know in the Philippines the CBCP has mandated that the Apostle’s Creed be used throughout the country. i also know that elsewhere the Nicene Creed is the norm. when we changed pastors we started using the Apostle’s Creed regularly, so it made me curious who makes the call which Creed to use. i’m sure more people are familiar with the Apostle’s Creed because its used in the Rosary.

When I attended Presbyterian church they used the Apostle’s Creed. When I returned to the Catholic Church I had to relearn the Nicene Creed. I read that the Apostle’s Creed is used with children, probably because it’s shorter and easier. That made me chuckle a bit in light of the Presbyterian church using it. We Catholics are hard core like that.:smiley:

yikes! does that mean Filipino Catholics are like Children?

then good! for the Kingdom of Heaven belong to such as these :thumbsup: :smiley:

Catholics in Canada similarly say the Apostles Creed all the time (I don’t know if it’s something the CCCB can decide or if they got an indult or something).

In the EF, it’s always the Nicene Creed. And in Latin which never changes. I never learned the Nicene Creed in English.

but it the two parishes i’ve been to regularly, its always been the Nicene Creed. until of course we switched pastors

ah! now i think i know why the Apostle’s Creed is mandated in the Philippines. because there’s no Filipino version of the Nicene Creed. i mean, i know there’s efforts to translate it, but i am not aware of an official Filipino Nicene Creed. so that people can easily switch between Filipino and English Masses, they use the Apostle’s Creed. thats just my guess

Very interesting - I love learning about the practices in other countries.

yes, the Church is truly rich in diverse culture. the practices in the Philippines has a distinct strong Spanish influence, thus we’re more like Mexican Catholics than US or Canadian Catholics. though sometimes i like the simplicity here.

you know what would be better for you? go to Mass with the Eastern Catholic Rites. now that is a totally different experience.

Hahaha, what if we had to pray the Anathasian Creed at Mass? That would be so terrible! LOL! newadvent.org/cathen/02033b.htm:eek:

Aw, the poor, misunderstood Athanasian Creed. I’m of the school of thought that it ought to be proclaimed from the pulpit once a year, on Trinity Sunday, before the Gospel. I forget where I picked up the idea, but I think it’s a great one. :thumbsup:

Canada has an indult to use the Apostles Creed.

I once asked a priest who was teaching a class on the Mass why the CCCB felt the need to ask for an indult. He didn’t know it was used by indult and the only reason he could come up with was that they must have felt it was easier to learn. In any case he didn’t think it was important as long as a Creed was said.

I very rarely hear the Nicene in English but when I have the opportunity to attend a French Mass I find they use it more frequently. Of course I may just be hitting on parishes with pastors who prefer it.

I’ve been wondering just when the indult for using the Apostle’s Creed began in Canada. Several months ago I found half a dozen Mass pamphlets that I had stuck in my old Missal. They were dated from 1959 to 1962. Four were from the cathedral in Ottawa and the other two from Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal. All had the Apostle’s Creed instead of the Nicene Creed. As these pamphlets were published prior to Vatican ll it makes me think that the indult has to be of a long standing nature. I asked a priest friend who was a classmate of mine back in those days if he had any idea. His response was that he has a vague recollection of us using the Apostle’s Creed during Dialogue Masses but was surprised when I showed him the pamphlets. Particularly since one of them had been printed for an ordination Mass in 1961.

Actually I have been at several Masses in the past few years where the Nicene Creed has been used and is used on a regular basis. All English language Masses and all said by priests who prefer it. The pastor at my current parish uses it all the time at weekday Masses for Feast Days, Solemnities and Memorials but curiously not on Sundays. He told me the reason for that is because not enough only Sunday Mass goers know the Nicene Creed by heart and he doesn’t like the congregation reciting the Profession of Faith by reading it from the back of a book! I can understand his point.

Occasionally a priest will use the Nicene in the French parishes I normally attend, but rarely.

At the Benedictine abbey where I habitually go to Mass, it is the Nicene Creed. Chanted in Latin :slight_smile:

our former pastor was pretty good at reminding people every Mass on what page in the Missal the Nicene Creed is found

of course everyone knows the Apostle’s Creed better, aside from being shorter its also used in the Rosary

I am in the US, and I have seen priests read the Nicene creed out of their book. :shrug: Maybe they just don’t want to say the wrong words by mistake.

Anyways I didn’t have the Apostle’s Creed memorized for the longest time but did have the Nicene creed memorized before high school. Even now if I am tired I mix up part of the Apostle’s creed (descended in to hell and after part) with the Nicene creed when saying the rosary.

maybe i should say for people like me who grew up in Catholic Schools which recite the Rosary in class

sometimes i forget i’m in a different place now

I wonder if Canada will get another (continue with?) indult with the new translation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.