Apostles, successors, and the Holy Spirit

Could you guys point me to the verses where Jesus told the Apostles something along the lines of “They that hear you, hear me, and they that reject you, reject me” and “the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth”? Thanks. I’m in a debate with a protestant who doesn’t seem to believe that the Apostles and their successors and pretty much all the early Church bishops received the Holy Spirit from Christ in a special way so as to be able to teach His truths rightly to their followers.

Start with this: Luke 10:16

Is that what you were looking for?

You might want to look at the last chapter of Deuteronomy and the first chapter of Acts of the Apostles.

In Deuteronomy, Joshua receives the spirit of wisdom because Moses lays hands on him. (The practice of laying on of the hands carried over into the NT.)

In Acts of the Apostles, one of the first things Peter does is establish the need to fill the vacant office of Judas. Notice that even though Judas was not present when the Lord “breathed” upon the 11 saying “receive ye the Holy Spirit…” nor was he at the first Pentecost, there is still an “office” or Bishopric that needed a successor.

Thal59

Have a look at these:

www.scripturecatholic.com/apostolic_succession.html
www.catholic.com/library/apostolic_succession.asp

[quote=DianJo]Start with this: Luke 10:16

Is that what you were looking for?
[/quote]

Sure was. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.