Apostles younger than Jesus - Comments?

Check title.

The Bible does not tell us. They were probably young men as Jesus wanted men who would survive him to spread the Gospel.

I think so. Generally that’s how the whole “disciple” thing worked.

Why do you ask?

Probably but why does that matter?

We just don’t know. Often, an older man is the leader, but it is likely that our LORD was such a dominant being that that effect didn’t factor in.

ICXC NIKA

The age of the disciples was very significant in the culture at that time.

+The Sweet Spirit of our Holy God in . . . Sacred :bible1: Scripture . . . was careful NOT to emphasize . . . **physical **. . . age in regard to God’s children . . . but rather that in the . . . Kingdom of God . . . every single soul . . . of sinful fallen mankind . . . must be . . . “born again” . . . which conversion/new birth as a redeemed soul of our . . . LORD . . . Jesus . . . the Blessed Christ . . . can occur at any physical age . . .

Keeping one’s eyes . . . always . . . *on the Blessed Christ *. . . as our example and encouragement . . .

:bible1:
“And
Jesus

advanced in
wisdom, and age, and grace
with **God **and men.”
*Luke 2:52 *

I’ve found it very helpful to remember that . . . even as Jesus physically went through . . . ahead of each of us for our sakes . . . every stage of growth and development that each of us goes through . . . 1) beginning as a baby (unborn and then born) . . . 2) then moving into childhood . . . 3) then youth . . . 4) then adulthood . . . **Sacred Scripture **teaches that our . . . **redeemed souls **. . . as God’s children . . . begin as **“babes in Christ” **. . . no matter what our physical age . . .
“For every one that useth milk
is unskillful in the word of righteousness:
for he is a
babe.

But strong meat belonged
to them that are of
full age,
even those who by reason of use
have their senses exercised
to discern both good and evil.”
Hebrews 5:13-14

. . . :coffeeread: . . .
[INDENT]**"CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
PART ONE: THE PROFESSION OF FAITH

Article 2 - THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION**
Sacred :bible1: Scripture is the **speech of God **as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit.

Article 3 - SACRED :bible1: SCRIPTURE
In Sacred :bible1: Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it NOT as human word, “but as what it really is, the Word of God.”

In the sacred books,
the Father Who is in heaven
comes lovingly to meet
His children,
and talks with them." [/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT] "How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me,** O God! **how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand …" Psalms 139:17-18b[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank you Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+[/RIGHT]

In fact they might have all been in their teens.

jstor.org/stable/3136128?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

I don’t know, I also don’t feel like it matters. But it is a good question.

:eek:Whoa, another fringe idea! :shrug:

I don’t mean to be offensive, JB. You do realize this IS a fringe idea? Try New Advent, maybe, for info on this. There are MUCH better mainstream sources for understanding these things. Perhaps some others will give you some good resources. Maybe “thistle” will?

At any rate, hmm, Otis Cary and Frank Cary in 1917 sure had an unusual theory! Pretty much conflicts with the overwhelming vast majority of tradition.

St. John the Apostle is though to have died in Ephesus after AD 98. If Jesus Christ died in AD 33, he lived at least 65 years after that. Supposedly he could not have been much older than 30. If Jesus was born 7-2 BC, at least St. John would have been younger than He was.

I said “might have”.

Did you even read the article?

Holy Scripture does not say how old they were. The Church has no position on this topic. It has absolutely no bearing on or impact on our faith and salvation so why are you trying to make a big deal out of it?

As I said, it was important back then.

Why do you say that and what importance did it have?

Scripture was written “back then” inspired by the Holy Spirit but it is not talked about at all.

Yes but in the context of Scripture it actually makes sense if the apostles were younger than Jesus.

Sometimes Jesus actually called them children and it would be an insult to them if they were all as old as Jesus.

Please tell me why it matters. It has absolutely ZERO impact on our faith and salvation. If it wasn’t important enough for the Holy Spirit to have it in Scripture and neither does the Church have a position on this topic, who cares?

Explain Peter’s mother-in-law.

I just said why.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.