Apparitions of Saints

I was reading a story about St. Jacob of Hamatoura, and I was surprised to read that there are apparitions of him. For those who might not know his story, St. Jacob was an abbot who lived in the 15th century, and rebuilt the formerly destroyed Our Lady at Hamatoura Monastery. He was captured and tortured by Muslims who wanted him to renounce Christianity and convert to Islam. He was eventually martyred and his body burned. He was lost to history until 2002 when a document was found identifying him as a saint, but Christians reportedly claimed a monk appeared to them in the monastery before then, and that he performed miracles. While the writing never claims this to be St. Jacob, it’s heavily implied.

I know that the Church teaches that Jesus and Mary have certainly appeared to individuals, but this was the first time I had heard about a saint other than Mary having any reported apparitions. I was unable to find much more information on this topic, so I wanted to ask if saints do, in fact, make posthumous appearances to individuals.

Yes.

Saint Joseph appeared with Mary and the Christ Child in the October 13, 1917, apparition at Fatima. Saint Joseph and Saint John the Apostle appeared with Our Lady at Knock in Ireland in August 1879. There are famous apparitions of Saint Michael the Archangel in Italy.

Pope St. John XXIII appeared to a nun in Rome around 1965 and cured her of her terminal stomach illness. It’s the miracle for which he was canonized by Pope Francis.

St. Therese of Lisieux appeared to Rhoda Wise in Canton, Ohio in the 1950s in an unapproved (as of yet) apparition.

St. Padre Pio has appeared to many people.

Here’s an article related to Apparitions of St. Joseph.

St. Philomena

Diocletian learned about it. ‘Well, then,’ he cried in a fit of rage, ‘let her be pierced with sharp darts a second time, and let her die in that torture.’ They hastened to obey him. Again, the archers bent their bows. They gathered all their strength, but the arrows refused to second their intentions. The Emperor was present. In a rage, he called me a magician, and thinking that the action of fire could destroy the enchantment, ordered the darts to be made in a furnace and directed against my heart. He was obeyed, but these darts, after having passed through a part of the space which they were to cross to come to me, took a quite contrary direction and returned to strike those by whom they had been hurled. Six of the archers were killed by them. Several among them renounced paganism, and the people began to render public testimony to the power of God that protected me.

philomena.org/patroness.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.