Apparitions/private revelations that talk about non-Catholic Churches

I know of only one where Jesus told St. Faustina to pray for schimastics…but are they any other private revelations to Catholic saints about the Orthodox Church or Protestant Church?

The OC also venerates BVM/Theotokos and attributes miracles (e.g., myrrh-streaming icons) to Her.

So is She in both Churches?

Is only one Church the “real” Church and the other Church is less-perfect but God still gives grace through the sacraments in that Church? If miracles occur in non-Catholic Churches, does that mean God affirms them in at least some sort of manner?

Did Jesus or BVM ever say, “XYZ Church is wrong and you should pray for them”?

Jesus said this From Luke:9 (Also in Mark 9:40)

49 Now John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow with us.”

50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us is on our side.”

Although only one Church can have the fulness of truth, the Holy Spirit moves everywhere people call on it in faith.

As for apparitions, I wouldn’t place much emphasis on them. Even the demons are capable of creating visions.

Context. The Church as we know it was not fully established just yet. Jesus left authority and power with the Catholic Church, and those who have since rebelled against it can only be said to be against that authority. :shrug:

Can demons heal?

I don’t know the deep theology here, but certainly when they are responsible for the ailment.

Angels have intellect far superior to mans that is why the Catholic Church forbids psychics, tarot card readings, horoscopes, Ouija boards and magic because it is very easy for angels who are bad to piece things together and give humans responses to their questions. Catholics have the sacraments to protect them if they start to be misled and Church authority if their revelation happens to be divine because if it is divine it is typically intended for the masses not just for the individual.

Churchsoldier, The difference between the man John was referring to who was casting out demons, in our Lords name, did not start his own man made church such as the Protestant churches, have.

St. John, is correct that the man was not following Jesus Christ among the Apostles in their travels. However Jesus must of personally met the man and through the Grace of God was given the gift of healing through the Church Jesus Christ established and not through any man made church, for there was no such thing as Protestantism then nor there should be none now.

The Catholic Church is the House built on Rock: Luke 6: 46And why call you me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say? 47Every one that cometh to me, and heareth my words, and doth them, I will shew you to whom he is like. **48He is like to a man building a house, who digged deep, and laid the foundation upon a rock. **And when a flood came, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and it could not shake it; for it was founded on a rock. 49But he that heareth, and doth not, is like to a man building his house upon the earth without a foundation: against which the stream beat vehemently, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.

Matt 7: 21Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

ChurchSoldier, Above Matt 7: Jesus Christ states, not all who prophesied, who cast out devil in His name, or who have done miracles in His name will be saved. Only those who do the will of His Father will be saved. The Father will is that we all who call ourselves Christians must be in the One Church Jesus CHrist founded on Rock, the Catholic Church.

Jesus Christ, followed His own example above and Built His Catholic Church / house on Rock. The Protestant Church are built on sand by men beginning with Martin Luther and the man name Mike down the street, who is starting his own church, with his own interpretation of Scripture.

Since the Protestant reformation a domino effect started with man made churches and as a domino effect demonstrates they all fall down, because they are not built on Rock aka St.Peter by Jesus Christ.

Ufam Tobie

Apparitions are private revelations and even though we can believe them they are not binding. Probably there are many such messages but because the revelations are private, except for those that are confirmed by the Church, they may not be sufficiently publicized for many Catholics to be aware of them or for disinterested Catholics to be interested in finding out anyway.

I would be reluctant to answer that, unless I first knew what it means to say: Mary is in this or that Church.

Are miracles in both Churches that are attributed to Mary really from Mary?

If only one of the Churches is the “real” Church, I wonder why no approved apparition has stated so. But if both Churches have the fullness/high-degree of truth, then does that mean both are acceptable as a path to salvation and/or both are considered part of the Mystical Body of Christ?

Fair questions, but unfortunately it’s hard even for us to agree among ourselves on how to state the nuances of the “one true church” belief. (This is pretty well illustrated by the fact that many well-informed Orthodox see Catholics as “branch theorists” while we Catholics insist that we are not.)

P.S. Also you might note the fact that Rome allows intercommunion with the PNCC, ACoE, and Orthodox, none of whom are in full communion with Rome.

If the Church approves of apparitions and their messages, and the Church discerns truth, how can one just not believe in them?

I’ll use myself as an example. I didn’t believe in Fatima, and because of my Protestant background, I never venerated the Blessed Virgin Mary. Yet, the message of Fatima says to pray the Rosary, make reparations for sins committed against her Immaculate Heart through indifference, through being against the Immaculate Conception, Her perpetual virginity, etc. And souls are said to be condemned for sins against the Immaculate Heart.

Many of the messages seem to be more than “devotions” — before learning about the message, I never would have known that I can sin against her Immaculate Heart by not believing.

If a Catholic believes the Church cannot err in spiritual matters, how can one “pick and choose” which apparitions to believe in?

By OC I assume you are referring to the Orthodox Church. That Church is part of the Chatolic Church since they posess Apostolic tradition (That is they can trace back their Bishops to the Apostles).
They also have the same sacraments (all of them) which are both valid and licit.
They only do not accept that the Pope has an eminent position of authority within the Church as a result of excercising the Petrine ministry.
They also have Miracles and many of our Saints do actually come from them.

The Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano (Italy) happened to a Monk of the Orthodox Church (they at that time were being persecuted by the emperor in Constantinople as a result many had seek refuge in Italy.

In my experience, the Orthodox never say that Orthodoxy is “part of the Catholic Church”. They say that it is the Catholic Church, period.

Well, if a Catholic says that Fatima isn’t an authentic apparition (although frankly, off the top of my head I can’t think of even one Catholic who says that) then presumably he/she doesn’t mean that the Catholic Church can err.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.