Apparitions

Have any popes seen any apperitions of the BVM, saints, or Christ? Have any been approved by the church? Just curious becasue some of my friends and were talking about it the other day.

Undoubdetdly it happens a times.
It’s widely believed PJP11 had a vision of the miracle of the sun from Fatima and soon after consecrated Russia to the immaculate heart of Mary which led to the collapse of the soviet empire as requested and predicted by our Lady.

Pope Leo X111 is said to have heard a conversation between God and Satan in which satan was handed the 20th century to see if he could destroy the church. He composed and commanded the prayer to St Michael be said after every mass then…

I think there is a big problem with popes declaring these things publicly because they are infallible and don’t want to risk making a mistake about private revelations in case they’ve been deceived or get it wrong. This would scandalise millions if a pope declared such a thing and then found it was wrong.

Doubtless the popes have many unique insights from the Holy Spirit we don’t hear about too.

Did St Peter have visions and see angels. I think he did as we read in the scriptures.

As we can see popes do act on private revelations at times. If these are right.

Hope this helps. God bless. :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

It’s widely believed PJP11 had a vision of the miracle of the sun from Fatima and **soon after consecrated Russia to the immaculate heart of Mary **which led to the collapse of the soviet empire as requested and predicted by our Lady.

Hi, :slight_smile: I’m just wondering, do you know when this happened? (the consecration)

Pope Leo X111 is said to have heard a conversation between God and Satan in which satan was handed the 20th century to see if he could destroy the church. He composed and commanded the prayer to St Michael be said after every mass then…

I’ve heard about this one… it sort of reminds me of St John Bosco’s dream? (about the 2 pillars) Don’t know if you’ve read about it. It’s pretty interesting. :slight_smile:
if that’s true, maybe that’s why so much evil happened in the 20th century. (the persecutions of the Orthodox church, people leaving Catholicism, all the confusion, secularization, the abuse scandals, 2 world wars, etc.)

I wish we still said the St Michael prayer after Mass.

Some comments about the consecration. It was fulfilled in my opinion eventually as Mary asked.
The Blessed Virgin’s request for the Consecration of Russia remains one of the most controversial aspects of the entire Fatima Message. While several popes have undertaken consecrations of the world since the request was made public (including Pope John Paul II in 1982 and 1984), sadly, none of these have fulfilled the specific requirements of Our Lord and Our Lady’s requests. In repeated visits to Sister Lucy, Heaven’s King and Queen have insisted that it is Russia (and Russia only) that is to be the object of this public act of obedience and prayer. In addition, Our Lord and Our Lady have indicated that the Holy Father is to be joined in the act of consecration by all the Catholic bishops of the world on the same day and at the same time in their respective dioceses. Interestingly, only Pope Pius XII’s consecration of the world in 1942 included substantial involvement of the bishops. Sister Lucy has written that this imperfect act of obedience, while not fulfilling Our Lady’s Fatima request, nevertheless hastened the end of the Second World War, thus sparing the lives of tens of millions of souls.
http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/images/spacer.gifIn response to Sister Lucy’s question why He would not convert Russia without the Holy Father consecrating that nation to His Mother’s Immaculate Heart, Our Lord replied “Because I want My whole Church to acknowledge that consecration as a triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary so that it may extend its cult later and put the devotion of the Immaculate Heart beside the devotion to My Sacred Heart”

The Pope decided to renew the consecration in March 1984, with letters being sent to all the world’s bishops in good time, including the Orthodox, asking them to join him in this action. On 25 March 1984, the feast of the Annunciation, John Paul II duly renewed the act of consecration in St Peter’s Basilica in Rome, before the statue of Mary from the site of the apparitions at Fatima which was specially brought for the occasion.
Although the text used did not mention Russia, the Pope did specifically recall the acts of consecration made by Pope Pius XII in 1942 and 1952, the latter being essentially concerned with Russia. It also appears that John Paul II paused during the ceremony, and, according to the bishop of Leiria-Fatima, Alberto Cosme do Amaral, quietly included Russia in the consecration.
This action is understandable given the delicate political situation, and, it has been argued, with the understanding that God was leaving the Pope, as head of the Church on earth, to best judge the precise form the act should take. Certainly Russia was in the Pope’s mind in the following reference:
"in a special way we entrust and consecrate to you those individuals and nations which particularly need to be thus entrusted and consecrated."
Although not all the world’s bishops joined in the act of consecration, it appears that a “moral totality” did, thus satisfying the request of Mary. Following this consecration Sr. Lucia was again visited by the Apostolic Nuncio; this time she told him that the consecration of Russia had indeed been accomplished, and that God had accepted it.[6]
After nearly seventy years it appeared that the act of collegial consecration had finally been carried out.

The 20th century was the worst the world ever saw. More people died in wars than the rest of human history put together. And there was all the trouble u mention and more. It may not be over yet either. We still need to pray and do penance.

They still say the prayer to St Michael after the Latin mass which is being revived. Many others say it too after mass. It’s a powerful weapon we can use privately too. As many do. God bless,:slight_smile:

Father Benedict Groeschel wrote a wonderful book published in 1993 called “A Still Small Voice: A Practical Guide on Reported Revelations”. It’s still the best introduction and guide to this fascinating topic. :thumbsup:

[quote=John Russell Jr.]I think there is a big problem with popes declaring these things publicly because they are infallible and don’t want to risk making a mistake about private revelations in case they’ve been deceived or get it wrong. This would scandalise millions if a pope declared such a thing and then found it was wrong.
[/quote]

Of course, you mean that the pope has the charism of infallibility when he declares a belief doctrine and/or dogma. Not everything he says is considered infallible. Not everyone understands the distinction as we do, thinking that if the pope describes a dream he had that all Catholics must accept the contents of his dream as dogma or something, which of course isn’t the case.

I also think that Our Lady doesn’t appear very often to the popes because 1) she tends to seek out the lowly in life and those who are simple in faith (not that popes can’t be simple in faith), such as children. 2) If our popes had regular visions people might discount them as propaganda or as ravings of men over wrought with religion. And, 3) the popes have the duty to determine if apparitions, visions, locutions, etc. are “worthy of belief” or not. It would be a conflict of interest in many people’s minds if every pope claimed to be visited by the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Just my few thoughts on the topic. :slight_smile:

that’s great to know! :slight_smile: thanks! :slight_smile:

wow thanks for the info…

I personally always thought that probably the consecration HAS been made, since the Soviet empire collapsed. Sometimes I look up the recent news in Russia and it seems that a lot of churches are being built there and the Orthodox church is becoming stronger. So that’s an improvement. :slight_smile:

I agree that we always need to pray and do penance.

At Lourdes, Our Lady told St Bernadette to do penance for sinners.

Thx. You are right about infallibility. Thx for the further points on popes and the supernatural. God bless.:slight_smile:

Actually St Peter did have a vision/encounter with an angel. He was released from prison by an angel. He also had a vision/dream about eating ‘unclean’ food which led him to decide on not requiring non-Jews to be circumcised.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.