Apparitions

Are there approved apparitions of other saints besides Our Lady? It just occurred to me because she showed up at Knock, Ireland in company of St. Joseph and St. John & wondered if any saints appeared elsewhere on their own.

Also, can anyone refer me to a comprehensive list of the Blessed Mother’s titles? I keep running across new ones (new to me anyway), most recently OL, Exterminatrix of all Heresies.

I think St. Padre Pio has appeared on his own. I’m sure there must be others, but he came to mind right away.
You could probably do a search on the home page here and find the information you are looking for, I would imagine.

St. John Neumann appeared to a little boy and cured him. St. Peter appeared to St. Agatha and cured her. Pope Leo XIII experienced a vision of St. Michael fighting Satan.

Here is a website with approved apparitions.

catholicdoors.com/isit/approved.htm

Jesus appeared to many saints, including St. Faustina and St. Margaret Mary. St. Joseph appeared at Fatima.

I know St. Maria Goretti and St. Dominc Savio appeared in dreams to certain people after their deaths.

St. Maria Goretti’s Message to Her Murderer

But no miracle was to be greater than the conversion of her murderer! It was an astonishing sequel to the drama of a would-be rapist who was sentenced to 30 years of prison. Unrepentent, showing no remorse for his awful crime, Alessandro would undergo a remarkable change. This was to occur after a remarkable dream he had during his 8th year of imprisonment.

"The dream was so vivid he could not distinguish it from reality. The prison bars and walls fell away and his cell was a sunlit garden blooming with flowers. Towards him came a beautiful girl dressed in pure white. He said to himself: ‘How is this? Peasant girls wear darkish clothes.’ But he saw it was Marietta. She was walking among flowers, smiling, and without the least fear. He wanted to flee from her but could not. Marietta picked white lilies and handed them to him saying, ‘Alessandro, take them!’ He accepted the lilies, one by one, fourteen of them. But a strange thing took place. As he received them from her fingers, the lilies did not remain lilies but changed into so many flaming lights. There was a lily turned to purifying flame for every one of the 14 mortal blows he struck her on the fatal day in Ferriere. Marietta said smilingly, ‘Alessandro, as I have promised, your soul shall someday reach me in heaven.’

“Contentment entered his breast. And the scene of incredible beauty dissolved in silence. When he awoke, it seemed that the rabid, choking, consuming feelings of hate, destruction, and bitterness that ruled within him were loosening their invisible bonds from his mind and flesh.” (“The Penitent” by Pietro DiDonato- Hawthorne Books, N.Y., 1962; pages 109-110)

The Dream was remarkable. Alessandro had never dreamed in his sleep. All he knew was that this dream of Marietta had opened up the gate of his interior world and exposed him to the light of God’s grace and mercy. From that time on, he was consumed to make reparation for his awful crime and sin.

mariagoretti.org/likoudisarticle2.htm

St. Dominic Savio’s Appearance to St. John Bosco

In 1876, his recently-deceased disciple St. Dominic Savio appeared to St. John Bosco in a dream.

As you know, dreams come in one’s sleep. So during the night hours of December 6, while I was in my room - whether reading or pacing back and forth or resting in my bed, I am not sure - I began dreaming.

It suddenly seemed to me that I was standing on a small mound of hillock, on the rim of a broad plain so far-reaching that the eye could not compass its boundaries lost in vastness. All was blue, blue as the calmest sea, though what I saw was not water. It resembled a highly polished, sparkling sea of glass. Stretching out beneath, behind and on either side of me was an expanse of what looked like a seashore.

Read the rest at: americaneedsfatima.blogspot.com/2009/01/today-please-pray-to-saint-john-bosco.html

I found this book you might be interested in:

Apparitions of Modern Saints:
Appearances of Therese of Lisieux, Padre Pio, Don Bosco, and Others

Patricia Treece

amazon.com/Apparitions-Modern-Saints-Appearances-Therese/dp/1569553033

Maybe someone who has read the book can advise whether it’s a good book to get.

I read an account from a Russian (I think) ex-abortionist who had dreams where St. Thomas Aquinas appeared to him in a field where a bunch of children were running around playing. St. Aquinas told this man his name and explained to him that these children were the souls of children that he had aborted.

This man, who was a Soviet atheist said that he had never even heard of Thomas Aquinas before this, and only later learned who he was. The man stopped performing abortions and converted to Christianity, and is now an outspoken defender of life.

I can’t remember the guy’s name but if I find a link to the article I read I’ll post it.

Over the centuries… there have been many reported apparitions of St. Michael the Archangel. I think one of the most famous, was to St. Joan of Arc. He appeared to her, many times.

You can read more about some of the apparitions of St. Michael here.

smcenter.org/apparitions.htm

St. Jonah of Shanghai, a Russian Bishop, appeared to a lame boy in a dream and said, “I don’t need my legs anymore. You can have them.” The boy woke up healed, but St. Jonah, it was discovered, had died that same night.

St. John Maximovitch of San Francisco (and earlier of Shanghai) has appeared to people as well.

I recall a story of his appearing to a young man on a plane, but I don’t remember the details, so I won’t say more.

catholic.net/index.php?option=dedestaca&id=1318&pag=1

catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=14322

Give thanks to God, the Source of goodness. Be sure to thank St. Anthony too, the patron of lost objects :wink:

In Kibeho, Rwanda prior to the genocide, the Mother of the Word appeared. She said a “river of blood” would happen if people did not convert, repent,pray the Rosary, the Chaplet of Seven Sorrows, and stop committing various moral sins, such as the girls sleeping with certain men. Did a river of blood happen? This New York Times Article on the Rwandan genocide documents the apparitions of Mary prior to the genocide. query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E4D81738F93BA35757C0A96F958260

Then we look at Fatima, Portugal. See some of the messages from Mary (Our Lady of the Rosary) to the three little children: The war [World War I was still raging] is going to end. But if people do not stop offending God, another and worse one will begin in the reign of Pius XI… When you shall see a night illuminated by an unknown light [on January 25-26, 1938 from 9PM to 2AM there appeared over the Northern Hemisphere a very unusual light that scared many people. The New York Times devoted almost an entire page to the event. Scientists attributed it to an exceptional aurora borealis] “know that this is the great sign that God gives you that He is going to punish the world for its many crimes by means of war, hunger and persecution of the Church and the Holy Father” [Within two months of the sign, in March of 1938, Hitler invaded his first country, Austria.] %between% http://www.loveandmercy.org/loveandmercy/fatima.htm

New York Times article: January 26, 1938
Aurura Borealis Startles Europe; People Flee in Fear, Call Firemen; Britons Thought Windsor Castle Ablaze–Scots See Ill Omen-Snow-Clad Swiss Alps Glow–Short-Wave Radio Halts The most brilliant display of an aurora borealis in fifty years held Britons spellbound over a wide area of this country tonight. From 6:30 to 8:30 P.M. the people of London watched two magnificent arcs rising in the east and west, from which radiated pulsating beams like searchlights in dark red, greenish blue and purple. [End of First Paragraph] Buy This Article, Single Article $3.95 select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00817FB355A157A93C4AB178AD85F4C8385F9

Other articles
Los Angeles Times, Jan 26, 1938 Aurora Borealis Upsets Europeans pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/743927742.html?dids=743927742:743927742&FMT=CITE&FMTS=CITE:AI&date=Jan+26%2C+1938&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=Aurora+Borealis+Upsets+Europeans&pqatl=google

Chicago Daily Tribune, Jan 26, 1938Aurora Borealis Glows in Widest Area Since 1709Abstract (Document Summary) Radio and telegraphic communication was disrupted and persons in many parts of the world were awed tonight as the aurora borealis [northern lights] flamed brilliantly farther south than the phenomenon ever has been seen by this generation.
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/441756312.html?dids=441756312:441756312&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Jan+26%2C+1938&author=&pub=Chicago+Daily+Tribune&desc=AURORA+BOREALIS+GLOWS+IN+WIDEST+AREA+SINCE+1709&pqatl=google
Why was the church punished?

Now, there are more apparitions. As far as I can tell the Church is silent. But they warn about the punishments the world will receive. Jesus and Mary specifically mention abortion and gay marriage. Maybe they mention other things, I don’t know. We don’t have to listen. However, when did the Church approve Kibeho, Rwanda apparitions - was it before or after the Rwandan genocide. Do we want to take the chance that these Georgia apparitions will have to take place and the world be punished before we figure out that we should listen? To me, when I read these messages or hear quotes by Mother Teresa by others (haven’t verified for myself the truth though), it sounds like the punishment is nuclear war and she said "The fruit of abortion is nuclear War. What you do to the unborn child, you do to Jesus" ourlovingmother.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.