Appeals court dismisses Rick Perry’s criminal case

The state’s top criminal court on Wednesday threw out the remaining criminal charge against Rick Perry, sparing the former governor from trial and a potential prison sentence on a felony charge of misusing the power of his office.

statesman.com/news/news/appeals-court-dismisses-rick-perrys-criminal-case/nqXG5/

Now they should charge the Austin County DA with prosecutorial misconduct

Gee, he got off on a technicality. Nothing like being indicted to make conservatives love the Constitution.

For a full discussion see this legal blog.

He didn’t get off on a technicality-the partisan Austin DA incited him for vetoing a bill!!! The sole purpose of the indictment was to keep Perry out of the 2016 Presidential race. These are the same people who forced Tom Delay out of office with Bogus charges. The on thing you wont see in Austin is democrat politicians getting charged with anything

If their sole purpose was to keep Governor Perry out of the Presidential race, they needn’t worry. Republicans did that just fine.

Perry is not, and has never been, presidential material. Neither are any of the candidates still in the race. If my arm were twisted into voting, I would pick Carson. I loved his speech at the Nat’l Prayer Breakfast, 2013

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA

:thumbsup:

yeah! I wonder what the Austin DA thinks of Trump?! She needn’t have worried about Perry!

Wrong Constitution.

Agreed. Nowhere in the US Constitution does I it make vetoing a bill a criminal offense

What is the law itself but a “technicality”? If a prosecutor violates the law in prosecuting someone, however heartfelt his purpose, should the law be held of no account? One is reminded of St. Thomas More’s response in “Man for All Seasons”.

"Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I’d cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man’s laws, not God’s! And if you cut them down, and you’re just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake! "

Kudos to Perry, he got this indictment from doing his duty.

Governors Walker and Perry were my first choices; Perry’s campaign was sabotaged. Who knows, they both had strong qualifications. Perhaps not strong in foreign policy.

People usually, esp. law and order types, use “technicality” referring to someone getting a conviction overturned (or in this case an indictment quashed) thru the appeals process.
I actually agree with the result in this case but I doubt that Gov. Perry ever cared a whit about prosecutorial abuse until he himself was a victim.

Even people who don’t care are entitled to equal protection under the law. I don’t know if your doubt is supported by facts or not, but I do know that both you and I are entitled to the same due process as politicians, even politicians.

Agreed. An absolutely cheap partisan trick.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.