Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Interesting he considers being gay a gift from God.

money.cnn.com/2014/10/30/technology/tim-cook-gay/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This was semi-interesting the first 50 or 100 thousand times it happened. Now it’s just meh.:yawn:

Well, it does give us another person to pray for…

It is interesting that someone is proud of their sexual proclivities. I’m not proud of mine. I’m not ashamed of it either. It just seems to be an odd thing to be proud of.

Besides the danger his lifestyle poses to his own soul Mr. Cook is also a danger to freedom. He has consistently championed taking away other people’s most fundamental rights in order to promote his beliefs. Someone who truly valued freedom would accept that others have the right to not associate with homosexuals if they so choose. He and his fellow travelers complain that homosexuals were suppressed but the first thing they want to do is suppress those who disagree with them. Lucky for Mr. Cook the average person can’t see the obvious.

I hadn’t heard of that. Do you have more info on him complaining homosexuals are suppressed?

Indeed. We should consider this strange, because sexuality, like blood type, eye color or bodybuild, is not something we can really take “pride” in.

Besides the danger his lifestyle poses to his own soul Mr. Cook is also a danger to freedom. He has consistently championed taking away other people’s most fundamental rights in order to promote his beliefs. Someone who truly valued freedom would accept that others have the right to not associate with homosexuals if they so choose. He and his fellow travelers complain that homosexuals were suppressed but the first thing they want to do is suppress those who disagree with them. Lucky for Mr. Cook the average person can’t see the obvious.

Except that replace “homosexuals” with “people of color”, “disabled” or 1900s-minority of your choice, and you’d be shouted down.

If sexuality defines a valid minority, he would have a point.

ICXC NIKA

How could homosexuality be a “gift from God” , when God says “it is an abomination?”

Apparently you’re referring to this:

money.cnn.com/2013/11/04/news/companies/apple-cook-discrimination/?iid=EL

I don’t agree with that.

I don’t think employers should fire employees on the spot for being gay. All moral arguments aside, it’s simply not good business sense.

FWIW, I’m proud to be straight. :smiley:

One has to wonder if this will qualify Apple as a “minority-run” business for government purposes.

I said were, but the new laws promoting homosexuality he advocates with a theme of current suppression.

I would replace with those words. I think we do have a right to not associate with people for whatever reason we have. Freedom of association is a very fundamental right. Once you damage that, as has been done, you get people being sued for not baking wedding cakes. Whether our actions are moral is a separate issue from the law. Current Western law is more intrusive into our beliefs than anything Christendom was accused of in the evil days of the Church having power.

It depends on the business. The mere revealing of sexual activity could be very reasonable grounds for firing someone in all sorts of jobs.

Of course how does one know someone is gay unless they reveal it in some way? Like with Mr. Cook. He chose to make a big deal of his sexual interests. If an employee of Apple chose to reveal how much he like large breasted women that would probably be considered sexual harassment in today’s environment. There really is no difference.

Biggest threat to freedom is how Apple tries to totally control their clients’ use of their product. Really, I need to give you my credit card info to download a free app. I’ve used the Microsoft store for over a year and have not yet needed to provide any info, other than my name.:shrug:

I don’t think employers should fire employees on the spot for being gay. All moral arguments aside, it’s simply not good business sense.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

It does seem to defeat the contention that “being gay” is not a choice, since “being proud” of something you have no control over says nothing about merit or ability, which seems to be the only grounds individuals could have for taking “pride.”

That has always puzzled me about “gay pride” and how such an idea was consistent with “it’s not a choice.”

Something fishy.

It’s like “Nudge, nudge, wink, wink… Take pride in what you do, but all the while deny that it is you doing it … Well, at least…until we’ve convinced everyone that it is an acceptable thing to do. Keep both options open.” Hmmm :ehh:

I don’t agree that someone should be “proud to be gay.”

But he mentions later in the article that he had to overcome discrimination. I can see why he might be proud of that.

I’m not proud of the fact that I came from a relatively low-income, low-class family background. But I feel good about the fact that someone who had little help in life could accomplish what I did.

I’m glad I’m not the only person who feels this way.

I mean, what does that even mean?

I’ve never considered going around saying “I’m proud that I find tall men with dark hair attractive!”

OK, yey for you, here’s a lollipop!

If he is so proud of it, why did it take him 53 years to come out? :confused:

:shrug:I don’t think anyone would think it odd if someone said they were proud of their Irish heritage (or any other kind of heritage), or that they was proud to be a redhead or proud to be 5’ flat or many other things that have nothing to do with choices they’ve made. It may not be the most logical thing, but I don’t think it’s terribly uncommon to use pride as an antonym for ashamed, or a way to show that it’s a part of who you are, and you’ve accepted that.

Not trying to agree or disagree with viewpoints of homosexuality or taking pride in that, just purely musing about the use of the word pride in term of things you can’t control.

It depends on how one takes up one’s cross. I know my cross, different than his, has made me closer to God; it’s all in how I take it up. I chose to carry it, not dance on it though a few times I’ve been too weary to carry it and it brought me down.

Homosexuals are definitely not an “abomination”. The abomination comes in how a homosexual chooses to live it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.