Apple Extends Web Browser to Windows

tinyurl.com/2or2vs

**Apple Extends Web Browser to Windows

** Apple Inc. launched a version of its Safari Web browser for Windows-based PCs on Monday, adding yet another tentacle to its multi-pronged encroachment of Microsoft Corp.'s turf.

“Safari is another Trojan horse that introduces an innovation of Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) to the Windows community and entices them to the Mac platform,” said Tim Bajarin, an industry analyst at Creative Strategies, a technology consultancy.

But, otoh . . .

tinyurl.com/2uqyda

Safari for Windows: Released and Hacked in a Day

Just hours after Apple released its first Windows beta of Safari researcher Aviv Raff said he’d found a bug.

Apple is becoming a favorite target of security researchers these days. In April, there was the US$10,000 CanSecWest hack a Mac contest, and on Monday there was the Safari Web browser. Or the public beta of Safari for Windows, anyway.

Just hours after Apple released its first Windows beta of Safari researcher Aviv Raff said he’d found a bug.

In an interview, Raff said that it took about three minutes of fuzzing to find the bug and that he hadn’t tested the issue on Mac OS X. So he couldn’t say whether or not it affected Safari on Windows only. The bug causes the browser to crash and “might be exploitable,” according to Raff, meaning it could possibly be used to run malware on the PC.

I’m a Firefox user but I’d be glad to give Safari a whirl once the final version is released. I doubt that I’d switch, though.

It’s only a public beta, but it seems to work pretty well. Snappy too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.