Apple News bans LifeSite without warning: says it ‘shows intolerance’

NEWS FREEDOM Wed Jul 31, 2019 - 5:29 pm EST

BREAKING: Apple News bans LifeSite without warning: says it ‘shows intolerance’

July 31, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – A little over one week ago, Apple approved LifeSiteNews’ application to publish our news on their Apple News platform.

Today, without warning, Apple News abruptly reversed course, telling LifeSite that they had deleted our channel and all of our content from their platform.

Apple claimed that LifeSite’s channel “didn’t comply with our Apple News guidelines.” Specifically, they stated that LifeSite’s “[c]hannel content shows intolerance towards a specific group.”

Apple’s e-mail provided no details about which content they deemed offensive, or which “specific group” LifeSite’s content allegedly showed intolerance towards.

LifeSite has reached out to Apple News for further details about their decision, which we intend to appeal. . . .

Well they are still in Google news😸. Come over to Android or just go to their web site.

It starts with one and ends with all. People have been talking about this for quite a long time, then they clapped when Silicon Valley began to ban people. Now it is becoming a normal, and tomorrow we will not be able to have a Catholic voice, because the Catholic Church Teachings are incompatible with Silicone Valley.

How long will it take? I am sure in my lifetime.

2 Likes

Website that bans people for disagreeing with them on any issue (small or large) complains about being banned. Pot. Kettle. Black.

7 Likes

Makes me wonder if the person who is Lifesite has actually read their articles. Intolerance is pretty much their only headline.

5 Likes

Y’all must not be paying attention to the situation here. It is not about lifesite being band. I care very little for lifesite as do many other people. The issue?

This big tech companies are silencing dissident. They are becoming more “woke” as time goes by. Why lifesite? Do you guys really think Apple needed to do this? lifesite is that powerful? Is lifesite dangerous? Lifesite speaks a lot of nonsense, in the U.S. that is allowed.

Forget lifesite, did you guys even know that meme twitter accounts have been banned? What? Memes? Why? and lots of them. That is just one neutral example I can give.

This companies are silencing public square. And people have been taking about it for a long time.

If you all say lifesite is bad, then what about Huffington Post? Vox News? Vise? MTV? Gizmodo? Late night comedians? Should they be banned also? That is not American, we have freedom of speech.

Apple News isn’t a web site. It is a news aggregation app on iOS devices (backed by associated services).

Private companies are not constrained by the First Amendment.

3 Likes

What is the claim? Intolerance towards a certain group.

Which group? What intolerance?

I can’t tell what you are asking. You made a statement about freedom of speech. In the USA the foundational law on freedom of speech constrains the government’s actions on speech. It doesn’t constrain private companies. Apple is a private company. They do not have a duty to carry our speech in Apple news. Nor or they prohibited from making editorial decisions on what shows there. Making those editorial decisions is a constitutionally protected activity.

1 Like

I’d wait until something worth defending pops up.

If I am not mistaken, the government Freedom of speech duty is about two things in particular.

1. It will not force people to speak a certain way
  2. It protects the speech of its citizens.

That said, then Apple is infringing on the freedom of speech of Lifesite News because they claim intolerance.

If that can be done, then google can ban CNN, Fox News, MSNBC for intolerance when ever they want.

This companies have become the new public square, and they are infringing on organizations because they disagree with them.

That is the problem Vanitas. When you decide to defend, it will be too late. There are countries that can jail you for misgendering a person. If he or she say I am “them” and you do not call he or she “them” you go to prison. I say that was a little too late to defend.

Which countries do that? I have a bunch of things to worry about, this is not one of them.

Yeah, I was talking about LSN doing the banning and then complaining about being banned. LSN is a website, albeit not a news website.

Nope. Constitutional Free Speech only generally prohibits the government from taking action against speech. It generally does not apply to the actions of private corporations.

There are some exceptions; not all speech is protected speech (ex:slander) and private corporations on behalf of the government are constrained while executing those functions.

Apple is a private corporation. It is not constrained like the government.

Yes, they can.

1 Like

That is ok, the government is getting involved and that will be the end of that.

The current investigations of which I know are not related to editorial decisions in news. Selecting news sources and stories is a Constitutionally protected exercise. The First Amendment protects from governmental interference in this exercise.

1 Like

ThinkingSapien . . .

Private companies are not constrained by the First Amendment.

@Rockoh22 is correct. It is unamerican.

Private companies” should quit looking for public corporate welfare if they don’t want to support American values.

Selecting news sources and stories is a Constitutionalky protected exercise. The First Amendment protects from governmental interference in this exercise.

So what?

Break em up (using anti-trust laws).

They can “select” what they want without me subsidizing them.

Apple getting welfare? That’s news to me. If anything they and their customers are being penalized unfairly.

LifeSite is a non-profit company. They aren’t paying taxes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.