Applications for unemployment benefits jump to 313,000

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits jumped last week, pushing total applications above 300,000 for the first time in nearly three months.

Weekly applications rose 21,000 to a seasonally adjusted 313,000, the Labor Department said Wednesday. That’s the highest level since the first week of September. The four-week average, a less volatile measure, rose 6,250 to 294,000.

The increase is unlikely to raise concerns about the broader health of the job market. At least some of the rise occurred because of seasonal layoffs in businesses affected by the cold weather, such as construction. The department seeks to control for such seasonal factors but doesn’t always do so perfectly.

nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/11/unemployment_benefit_weekly_ap.html

I wonder when they will start correcting for people who’ve given up trying to get a job or been forced to take a/numerous part-time job(s).

They already measure people who have given up looking for a job. I am not sure why we would be interested in counting people who are too lazy to look for work?

I understand, from various sources, that laziness is the least of the problem.

There is no good reason for not looking for a job if you want one. I am sure some of these lazy people have excuses, but that is all they are is excuses.

Some people make more on unemployment than they would finding a job.

It’s partly an incentive issue. :yup:

Except that you cannot receive unemployment compensation if you have given up looking for a job. So UI benefits does not affect the decision to leave the labor force.

Oh, there are plenty of ways you can fake looking for a job and it’s easy to slip it past a government bureaucracy.

All the more reason to get the government OUT of the business of helping the poor and disenfranchised. This should be the responsibility of the churches and private charitable organizations. We, the people, will do a much better job than the government of holding people accountable because we will know face to face and heart to heart the ones we are helping. The government just knows forms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.