Applied Kinesiology - is it dangerous?

Hi there,

I was interested in training to naturally treat people suffering from infections using magnets. Anyway, part of the course involved applied kinesiology to figure out what ailment was. I saw a number of Christian website warning Christians to stay away from applied kinesiology. Can anyone shed any light on why it is spiritually dangerous? I pulled out of course but I am worried that I jumped the gun. Thank you.

Wow, so much wrong here…

Magnets don’t cure infections. Applied kinesiology doesn’t accurately diagnose anything

The Vatican warned against this and many other “New Age” things:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/interelg/documents/rc_pc_interelg_doc_20030203_new-age_en.html

Advertising connected with New Age covers a wide range of practices as acupuncture, biofeedback, chiropractic, kinesiology, homeopathy, iridology, massage and various kinds of “bodywork” (such as orgonomy, Feldenkrais, reflexology, Rolfing, polarity massage, therapeutic touch etc.), meditation and visualisation, nutritional therapies, psychic healing, various kinds of herbal medicine, healing by crystals, metals, music or colours, reincarnation therapies and, finally, twelve-step programmes and self-help groups.(25) The source of healing is said to be within ourselves, something we reach when we are in touch with our inner energy or cosmic energy.

It’s a pseudoscience mixed with some New Age type of belief. I’m a massage therapist and I’ve encountered just about everything New Age…it’s frustrating b/c I dont’ do any of that stuff and I HATE pseudoscience with a passion. It’s nearly driven me to seek a new job.

Sounds like throwing baby out with the bath water.

Stay and use the gifts God has given you.

Until I can find a better paying part timw job, I’m stuck with it :frowning: . …meh, it’s ok I guess as long as the new age stuff stays far away from me !

Some of those things like acupuncture, herbal remedies, massage, nutritional therapy and such are perfectly licit for Christians to try or use. I, for example, take herbal supplements. When I was younger, I saw a mental health therapist who did biofeedback (which didn’t help me, but I see nothing inherently wrong in it). I have never done acupuncture (although I would not mind trying it), but one doesn’t need to believe in any weird new age beliefs to believe somehow it might have a positive effect on the mind and body. I think the problem lies in the ideas expressed in the statement you quoted:

…? Bizarre much…

I totally agree.

I personally can’t see anything wrong with taking care of yourself by using nutrition, or by doing some forms of Bodywork that can actually be helpful when you’re suffering and actually unable to walk or move properly.

Editing to add that I have never heard of Chiropractic as being considered “New Age” therapy before? :thinking:

I also use herbal medicine at certain times when I’ve been really ill, and it has kept me from being hospitalized.

I’m really confused by putting some of these things into a “New Age” listing.

I’m not saying this to offend or to be argumentative, either.

These are just my own thoughts and opinions on some of these matters.

I understand some of these other therapies being considered “New Age,” but I can’t/don’t consider all of them being “New Age.”

Again, my thoughts and opinions, only.

God bless everyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well if you have a cut, does it not heal on its own if you keep it clean?

I read that Vatican document when it came out all those years ago and even then thought it generalized and went too far. It speaks poorly of holistic medicine. Really? Holistic medicine? Even the Catholic Ethical and Religious Directives for Healthcare speak of treating the whole person.

I’d agree with that. But magnets for infections? No,thanks, pass the antibiotics. I’ve seen sepsis.

With a lot of the things they talked about, it wasn’t the actual use of the practice, but the “alternative” belief system that is often marketed by it’s advocates.

The document has to be read carefully…as it is not condemning many of the practices in and of themselves----like certain forms of physical, nutritional or mental therapy, but warning against a semi-pelagian belief system that says we can “reach a higher level” on our own, without Divine Graces. Then there was stuff…like occultism that is obviously a different ballgame.

Agreed. A lot of the stuff talked about was outright quackery and nonsense. Obviously crystals and psychic healing fall into this category.

But to say legit nutritional supplements, certain exercises or massage fall into the same category is taking it a bit too far for me.

That document grouped too many things all into the same category. Massage and spiritualism are two very, very different things.

Thanks for your explanation. I greatly appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Even so, It’s my own personal opinion that I think that there is a “possible misunderstanding” that is present regarding some of the practices/therapies and their interpretations and understandings of them there, when their article was presented. That is how I see it.

As I previously mentioned, I can certainly understand how some practices can be considered “New Age,” but I do think that there is a misunderstanding with putting other practices and therapies in there, when I would personally not consider them to be so.

Some of them rather are considered “alternative therapies/medical practices.”

I personally don’t see them in relation to “searching for/reaching for your higher self/potential.”

Like when using nutritional therapies or herbal or homeopathic remedies or Chiropractic, or things like that.

To me, they’re simply other remedies in addition to traditional Western medicine that someone might try, to feel better.

I agree with you, too.

I should be noted that some of that stuff on the list is fine if it’s not associated with New Age. The most obvious example is 12-step programs, which many Catholic parishes actually host. A lot of people also benefit from massage therapy, chiropractic, self-help groups, visualization, and probably some benefit from herbal medicine, acupuncture, and biofeedback. As long as those things aren’t associated with “New Age” they are not bad in and of themselves. I’ve used visualization frequently for years. I didn’t learn it from any New Age people though, I got it out of some normal old self-help book from the thrift store.

Edited to add, I answered without reading the thread. I see Canvas and oldgraymare are saying similar things.

One has to use common sense when reading everything, even Vatican documents.

One ought also to remember when reading Vatican documents, that they are not aimed solely at an american audience or even an english-speaking one. A lot of times a number of different practices can end up under roughly the same name. Some might be valid, some mere pseudoscience, and some new age spirituality.

I don’t think its necessarily dangerous spiritually but it is dangerous because it is dangerous to your mind as it messes with proper reasoning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.