Applying to the FSSP

Dear Forum

Anyone here applied to the FSSP. I love their Charisma, and the whole traditional side of Holy Mother Church. Are they hard pickers so to speak?

I am intellectual, I am a very sharp kid (except for math :p and maybe a bit of science), but due to my own fault, I have a lazy habit.I dont do the work, and I still get a good mark, for e.g last year in Grade 11 University level English, I had a 73%, without doing the work or at least not paying enough attention. However It is something that I am more than willing to work on with a Spiritual Director or in Formation. Will I be denied to enter with them?

I am sincere, Philosophy and Theology, Latin and Greek all hold my interest, as I love to write, ponder the Truths of my Faith and the obscure questions that make me ask (philosophy), I love languages and cultures thoroughly, so history, languages, english, philosophy and theology would all be of appeal to me.

Any thoughts??

It’s summer! Grade 12 is starting in 6 weeks. Go have some fun.

Go to mass often, pray, go to confession, but for rest just “be still and know that I am God.”

God’s will, will be done.

Today it’s the FSSP. Last week it was the ICRSS. And before that it was the Knights of the Holy Eucharist. At the moment you need to focus on what’s going on now–you are in high school, so do your best to cultivate your prayer life and keep on top of your studies. Then worry about seminary or a religious congregation. I went to college first, as did a good number of my classmates in the seminary. Be patient. Calm down. All will happen in God’s time.

-ACEGC

[quote="edward_george, post:3, topic:292062"]
Be patient. Calm down. All will happen in God's time.

-ACEGC

[/quote]

MyMM,

Edward's above advice is perfect. Focus on that. Esp the part in bold. God's time. Not yours. :thumbsup:

Take it from a professional student. Break that vice now while you’ve got the easiness of high school. It will catch up with you in any type of post-secondary education you take and will be your downfall. Procrastination and not completing assignments will ruin you. That’s not really something you work on in formation or with a spiritual director unless you’re working to rid yourself of the vice of sloth. Take that to the confessional and keep confessing it and working at it until you get it out of you. My office has signs posted all over it reminding me to quit procrastinating, and to offer up all my suffering for the souls in purgatory.

BTW: 73% isn’t that high of an English grade in high school, even if you don’t do the work. That isn’t even a passing grade in some university programs.

[quote="mymamamary, post:1, topic:292062"]
Dear Forum

Anyone here applied to the FSSP. I love their Charisma, and the whole traditional side of Holy Mother Church. Are they hard pickers so to speak?

I am intellectual, I am a very sharp kid (except for math :p and maybe a bit of science), but due to my own fault, I have a lazy habit.I dont do the work, and I still get a good mark, for e.g last year in Grade 11 University level English, I had a 73%, without doing the work or at least not paying enough attention. However It is something that I am more than willing to work on with a Spiritual Director or in Formation. Will I be denied to enter with them?

I am sincere, Philosophy and Theology, Latin and Greek all hold my interest, as I love to write, ponder the Truths of my Faith and the obscure questions that make me ask (philosophy), I love languages and cultures thoroughly, so history, languages, english, philosophy and theology would all be of appeal to me.

Any thoughts??

[/quote]

I just got off the phone witht he assistant Vocational Director for the FSSP

I am a junior going into Senior year of HS and I have been discerning the FSSP for some time. Allow me to pass on some knowledge I gained today as it will definately shape my future discernment,

You MUST get those math and science grades up. Although they don't have math and science at the Seminary, the have logic and a healthy work ethic is vital. Math and science are my weak points as well. I failed math one quarter. There was never a moment that I so greatly wanted to scourge myself than at that moment. I felt like the grade I got: a failure. God has allowed you one more year to prosper. You have time USE IT. It is crucial that you take this time to prayerfully reflect on the time you have. If you still have the chance, choose courses that may be easier. Drop down a level perhaps. Anything you can. If the ship is taking on water, throw some things overboard. That meaning, if other activities are cutting into your study time, cut them out.

You need to find a spiritual director who can put your feet in the fire and push you forward to victory. God helps those who help themselves. Your laziness is no excuse and quite frankly, you should buckle down and discipline yourself. Your a soldier of Christ now! The weight is on your shoulders. If you make it or break it, its on you. Prayer and pray some more. Before class ask the Holy Spirit to fill you and rid you of this cursed laziness. This is a state of mind that must be corrected.

As I have found, the FSSP is a tough cookie to swallow. Roughly 35 - 40 men apply each year and about half get accepted. Among those, some are sent home in the first few years for reasons extending from lack of maturity to lack of academic progress. As I have seen from the multitude of threads you've made concerning your Seminary discernment, you need to do some serious thinking on this and stop flip flopping.

Feel free to PM me as I have been researching this for a while. I might be able to answer some more sensitive questions if you have them and if I can't I know some people who can. I recently met a fantastic FSSP priest (though a little quirky) who has decided to stay in the Archdiocese for a bit for family issues. I might just have to set up an appointment with him.

MamaMary, you need to take a deep breath, find a quiet place, and sit down with that Bible.

Open up to 1 Samuel 16 and read how King David is chosen

Then Samuel asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” Jesse replied, “There is still the youngest, but he is tending the sheep.” Samuel said to Jesse, “Send for him; we will not sit down to eat until he arrives here.” Jesse had the young man brought to them. He was ruddy, a youth with beautiful eyes, and good looking. The LORD said: There—anoint him, for this is the one! (1 Samuel 16:11-12)

David’s six brothers are all in the tent, hoping to be chosen as the next king. They are anxious, trying to be noticed, vying for attention, and actively seeking the glory of the kingship. David on the other hand is faithful to his work. His head is down and he is doing his job quietly, and that is when God calls him.

All through the Bible, God chooses people who are quietly doing what they are supposed to be doing, not anxious over the future.

Jacob is the perfect example. He is described as “A quiet man, dwelling in tents”. Jacob is obedient to his mother but Jocob’s brother Esau is restless, always out hunting. Quiet hardworking, obedient and humble Jacob gets the birthright and the blessing. Esau gets nothing.

As he was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter, and his brother Andrew, casting a net into the sea; they were fishermen. He said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. He walked along from there and saw two other brothers, James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat, with their father Zebedee, mending their nets. He called them, and immediately they left their boat and their father and followed him. (Matthew 4:18-22)

Peter, Andrew, James and John were doing what they were supposed to be doing, not looking around anxious about the future, not restless, but attending to the business at hand according to their station in life at that time, feeding their families and tending to their needs. And that is when they are called.

All through the Bible, God calls those who quiety work, who do a good job and work hard, are obedient to their superiors, those who take care of their family, and who are not restless and always looking for the next thing.

Study hard at school. Enjoy summer. Read that Bible. Think about college. Get a spiritual director. Frequent the sacraments. Go to Mass as often as you can. Get involved in your parish and find a way to serve - be an altar server or help the poor. And open up a conversation with your parish pastor who will get you in touch with the vocations director at your diocese - they can guide you.

But for now, consider the lessons of the men who quietly did what they were supposed to do and then were called to greatness. And consider our Lord, who though he was God, was obedient to his Mother Mary and his Father Joseph, working as a carpenter, until his hour came.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.