Appointment of Mary as our Mother by Jesus

Dear all;

I read the folllowing Walsingham prayer- which is sorely needed for the Catholics of England at the moment:

Prayer to Mary, Our Lady of Walsingham

**O Mary, recall the solemn moment when Jesus,
your divine Son, dying on the Cross,
confided us to your maternal care. **
You are our Mother, we desire ever to remain your devout children.
Let us therefore feel the effects of your powerful intercession with Jesus Christ.
make your Name again glorious in the shrine once renowned throughout England by your visits, favours, and many miracles.
Pray, O holy Mother of God, for the conversion of England, restoration of the sick, consolation for the afflicted, repentance of sinners, peace to the departed.
O blessed Mary, Mother of God, our Lady of Walsingham, intercede for us.
Amen.

…so I encourage brothers and sisters to pray this prayer also.

My question was - Is there any teaching on why Jesus chose this moment to entrust Mary to John, and to make us aware that Mary is our mother, too?

I wonder why this doesn’t seem to have been mentioned after the resurrection?

I wonder if maybe he chose this time as the time when his words would be most noticed. That every word he spoke would have been strained and difficult because of His pain, and therefore we would take due note of the significance of this timing. And furthermore, it would have served as a comfort to his Mother and to John.

That’s my theory which I’ve kind of worked out while typing this post!! Any feedback and further thoughts welcome…!

Jesus entrusted the Church to his Mother from the cross. It was his last act before he died.

***When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. *(John 19:26-27)

From a practical perspective, Jesus was relinquishing his right to inheritance as the firstborn son. He was giving the right of the firstborn to John, the “disciple whom Jesus loved.” With the right of the firstborn comes responsibility to care for the elderly and children in the family. That is why John took Mary into his home. Jesus chose the moment because he was the firstborn/only son and was about to die.

From a spiritual perspective, “The disciple whom Jesus loved” is you and I. Mary is the Mother of Christ and the Church is His Body so Mary is the Mother of the Church, and the Mother of all the members of the Church.

-Tim-

Hi Tim,

Your blog post was ‘illuminating’ in the right kind of way! (As opposed to the way that might have occured without the cassock! lol). Commendable service to your parish!

You said: "From a spiritual perspective, “The disciple whom Jesus loved” is you and I. Mary is the Mother of Christ and the Church is His Body so Mary is the Mother of the Church, and the Mother of all the members of the Church. "

… When John is referred to in this way, did Jesus have a special closeness to John, or is it totally symbolic?

I’m easily confused, but how could Jesus be the first male born if Joseph had other children prior to being with Mary? Wouldn’t Joseph’s older son’s have the right of inheritance. I believe inheritance is based on the father of the family and not the mother, but that’s just a guess on my part.

SJ

Others can jump in with any relevant information but my understanding is that Jesus and John had a special friendship.

Peter, James and John were the three brought to the top of the mount of transfiguration and are often apart with Jesus, separate from the other Apostles.

Jesus was likely an Essene Jew. These were almost monastic, living apart from the big cities, undergoing the ritual purification bath daily, celibate, fasting often and praying alone. It his said that John was also an Essene Jew and a virgin. The fact that John was a vowed to virginity might have been one reason why Jesus chose John to care for his mother.

When Jesus had thus spoken, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke. One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was lying close to the breast of Jesus; so Simon Peter beckoned to him and said, “Tell us who it is of whom he speaks.” So lying thus, close to the breast of Jesus, he said to him, “Lord, who is it?” (John 13:21-250

It is clear that John had a very intimate relationship with Jesus, lying on his breast at the last supper and referring to himself as the “One whom Jesus loved.” These take my breath away when I read them. There are many paintings and icons of John reclining on the breast of Jesus. I often picture myself resting on Jesus’ bosom after communion, with my ear to his chest, listening to the heartbeat of God.

***By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us; *(1 John 3:16)

The truth is that we are all “The disciple whom Jesus loved.” We are all Jesus’ beloved. We know that because he laid down his life for us.

***Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God, and he who loves is born of God and knows God. *(1 John 4:7)

We are all Jesus’ beloved. John’s first letter is about what constitutes true love and it is addressed only to an unspecified “beloved.”

-Tim-

I personally don’t believe that Joseph had other children. Living arrangements were such that extended families often lived together - aunts and uncles and cousins. Cousins who lived together would have called each other brother and sister. I don’t think Jesus had step brothers and step sisters. That’s just my opinion based on what I know about Jewish culture and family structure at the time.

And if there were other “brothers”, or even step-brothers, then why would Jesus have not entrusted Mary to them since they were family?

The right of the firstborn guaranteed a double portion of the inheritance but came with responsibilities to care for the children and elderly. The birthright could be sold or even given away. This is seen all through the Bible and is documented outside of the Bible. Esau traded his birthright to Jacob for a plate of beans.

I don’t know if Jesus’ words from the cross have as much to do with John getting an inheritance as it would have to do with john being placed in a position of responsibility over Mary. This here again is speculation on my part. The authorities were murdering Jesus so Jesus would likely want someone to protect his mother against harm.

-Tim-

Hi Tim

A quick thank you for your responses.

Also I agree with your ideas about the brothers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.