Appreciating the Ordinary Form

Hello, everyone! I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I appreciate the Ordinary Form. It seems like so many people are down on the Ordinary Form in one way or another, thinking its not as worshipful or beautiful as the Extraordinary Form, and some seemingly wishing that the Church would do away with the Ordinary Form all together. While I acknowledge that Latin is beautiful in its own way, I think that if the Church did not have the Ordinary form I would not have become Catholic. One of the things that attracted me to Catholicism in the first place was the fact that we actively participate in the Mass, as opposed to being lectured to like so many of the Protestant churches I attended growing up. The fact that the Mass is in my native tongue and that I can pray right along with the priest is comforting to me. A missal is just too cumbersome. If people feel more comfortable at the Extraordinary form, that is perfectly fine. It is a valid Mass. But so is the Ordinary Form. Please don’t look down on those of us who prefer it.

Great post.

:thumbsup:

1. The issue of language is a secondary issue when it comes to the differences between the two forms of Mass.

2. If you can’t pray the main unchanging parts of Mass in Latin as easily as in English, you’re being deprived of your own tradition.

If you had read the OP’s post it grew up Protestant so he had no “tradition” to be deprived of.

He was also sharing his personal experience of how if he had not participated in a Mass in the vernacular he would probably not have converted.

He also asked not to be looked down upon because he prefers the Ordinary Form.

I think it was a beautiful post of faith sharing.

The Catholic tradition is the heritage of all Christians.

May I ask what the issue is , then?

:amen:

The ordinary Form is awesome and we don’t need to “put down” the EF to say so.
Both are valid and licit.
Mary.
I like both forms but prefer the Ordinary Form as well especially when you have children present.

The changed lectionary, the additional Eucharistic prayers, and the offertory are three substantive differences. The language is ultimately a superficial change; although I am of the opinion that every Catholic in the world should be able to pray the ordinary of the Mass and the Our Father in Latin (except for the Kyrie in Greek, of course), I would have zero problem with the proper prayers of each day and the readings being in the vernacular even in the Extraordinary Form.

There’s the Anglican Use for that preference, if the vernacular is English.

I don’t know about Australia but that’s not the case in Great Britain.

What is “the” Catholic tradition? :wink:

Well, it’s Latin and western European, didn’t ya know?:smiley:

I think that if the Church did not have the Ordinary form I would not have become Catholic

In all charity, unless one has not had experience with the Extraordinary Form, I’m not sure one could make such a retroactive prediction. Nevertheless, I count myself among those who consider the expanded Lectionary and the ability to sing/make the Responses a great blessing. I only wish that parishes had retained, as the Missal intends, the use of the Mass propers, and celebration facing Liturgical East, and at least some of the language of the Roman Rite, which is Latin.

Prepare to be bombarded: from those on the one hand who are convinced the OF is a Masonic plot to destroy the Church to those on the other hand who recoil in visceral horror at the EF, and everyone in between. As recent events with the Franciscans of the Immaculate show, turning the liturgy into a [political] football does nothing but sow discord and destroy the unity that Holy Communion is supposed to build. I think it is incumbent on all Catholics to accept, in humility and obedience, what Holy Mother Church proposes.

In the meantime, hunker down. I fear you have kicked a hornet’s nest.

I agree. Many converted to the Catholic faith prior to the Missal of 1970.

I too love the ordinary form. I’m old enough to have been an altar boy when latin was the language used for mass. I also took two years of latin. English is my native tongue and that is how I communicate with the ones I love. I love the lord. That is how I wish to communicate with and worship him.

There appears to be only 11 parishes in the U.S. where this liturgy is available.

But having seen the text here, I see more resemblance to the Ordinary Form.

liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/RCCAnglicanUse.htm

What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for these uplifting words. God bless you!

I agree–my husband and I never would have converted if we had visited a Latin Mass. Yes, yes, I know, as Christians, we should never say never, and presumably God would have worked it all out for us, to somehow haul us both home to Rome!

But the Mass in our own language certainly was much more appealing to us and eliminated one of the stumbling blocks–having to figure out the choreography and script of a Latin Mass. (The OF Mass was hard enough for us to learn, after decades of liturgy-free worship services.)

Thanks again!

Just so no one get the wrong impression, I do not dislike the EF. I have been to it before and it is a lovely Mass. I’m just saying that in my case, It probably would have reinforced the whole “Catholics want to confuse the lay people” bias that I had shoved down my throat in the past. I’m sure God would have found a way. He always does! When I went to a Reformed/Presbyterian High School, I was fussed at for liking St. Thomas Aquinas, who is almost universally decried as a "Reason worshiping Fall denier " in the circles I used to run in. So I’m not saying that I would never have come around, just that God used the OF to get my attention.

We just had an entire Anglican parish in our town convert to the Catholic faith last month:

St. Barnabas Church Omaha to be received into Ordinariate on July 10, 2013.
On Wednesday evening, July 10th, at seven o’clock, the Parish of St. Barnabas will enter into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

St. Barnabas Parish began its life in 1869 as an Episcopal parish formed as part of the Oxford Movement. Among the stated goals of the Oxford Movement were the reintroduction of ritual elements into the liturgy, the nurturing of the poor and downtrodden and an eventual reunification with the Holy See. The founding pastor, the Rev. Mr. George Betts, often found himself being called on the carpet by the Episcopal bishop, Robert Clarkson for these views and practices. During the course of its 144 year history the parish continued its often-rocky association with the Episcopal Church, culminating in its disassociation with that body in 2007. With the announcement of “Anglicanorum Coetibus,” the parish began in earnest its path to reunification with the Holy See. That path will reach its final destination with the visit of Msgr. Jeffrey Steenson to the Parish to receive congregants as full members of the Roman Catholic Church.

I attended a Catholic Mass in the Anglican rite in San Antonio, and it was very beautiful and reverent. I pray that more and more Anglican churches will make the switch to the Catholic Church!

Thanks for your story. It’s always a blessing to hear other people’s journey to the Catholic faith. My journey was different, as it was the EF that drew me closer to Catholicism. The OF Mass I attended while learning about the Catholic faith was very similar to the Protestant churches I had attended (probably most similar to Lutheran-Missouri Synod, where I was baptised), while it was the EF Mass that seemed to draw me closer to Our Lord. The EF had a transcendent quality that was so far apart from the world that it was much easier for me to focus on Jesus Christ and His love for us. Fewer distractions helped as well. Plus, with me being more of a visual person than an auditory person, I didn’t mind the use of a missal and following along that way.

Again, thanks for sharing, and may God bless you in your spiritual journey! And welcome to CAF!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.