Appreciation of Protestant Hymns

Perhaps the most historic rendering of the hymn was at the secret meeting in the Atlantic ocean between Winston Churchill and Franklin D Roosevelt during WW2 .

I love Bunyan’s “He who would valiant be”

You’ve found one now , @Dlee .

It;s a great hymn .

It Is Well
Great is Thy Faithfulness
And Can it Be

Honestly, the only thing I miss about my Presbyterian days is the fact that EVERYBODY sang. The congregation would even sing harmony.

I think it would be wonderful if they sang it in the Church because of how moving the hymn is. I remember hearing it when President Bush 41 died and they played it at his church service.

And I think we can admit that Protestant churches have come up with some absolute treasures as far as hymns go. I think it’s a very good place to find common ground as well

I’ll switch it up for a second and give one of my favorite “hymns” from the Catholic Church (I’m lutheran). “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard at any church service I’ve been to. Heard it at a mass on first Sunday in advent when I visited a local parish.

How Great Thou Art is my favourite ever hymn. It’s in our hymnal but first there’s the challenge of getting it onto the cathedral choirmaster’s ‘playlist’ lol!

Amazing Grace

Protestant Hymns?

Of the many titles named that posters have found acceptable, how many have elements not of Christian Theology, but exclusively Protestant Theology? Reviewing the list, I can’t find any.

It reminds me of people speaking of Protestant “translations” of the bible, and fear of using “Protestant Bibles” when they are speaking more of an incomplete canon, The “translations”, with the exception perhaps of the Jehovah Witnesses’ New World Bible, are accurate…it is the interpretation, which may include footnotes on the interpretation that are objectionable…footnotes are not inspired, only text is…there is enough argument among Catholics over the legitimacy of “Catholic Bibles” such as NABRE.

Thoughts?

I mean Protestant in the sense that they’re primarily sung in Protestant churches. I do see you’re point though, they are Christian at the end of the day.

The Old Rugged Cross

They’re called “Protestant Hymns” because they were generally written by Protestants and in many (not all) cases not approved for use in the Catholic church. Even those that are approved for use sometimes run into opposition from individual Catholics who object to the hymn as being rooted in some Protestant theological context. This is often a matter of opinion or where the individual’s mind is going. To give one example, I have never seen anything wrong with “Amazing Grace” or “Jesus Loves Me” but I have seen Catholics including right on this forum raise theological arguments against them. I think these people are reading a little too much into the words of a hymn, but this forum has taught me that there are people who can compose entire threads complaining about the Church changing one word of a prayer, so people can get hung up over most anything I guess.

Your discussion of Protestant translations of the Bible is off topic for the thread, but I would just point out that if you look at a site like Biblehub or Bible Gateway you will see the myriad of ways in which Bibles are translated. They are NOT all translated the same way, and are not all what I would call “Accurate”. While some Protestant versions like KJV are similar to Catholic versions, and others like NASB are true to the original Greek and Hebrew, many others are not similar to either of these. Plus there is the issue of the missing books and the footnotes. There is also simply no need for a Catholic to use a “Protestant Bible” (unless it’s for an academic study of some sort) when we have plenty of Catholic Bible editions available.

Is there a codified list of which hymns are and are not approved by the Catholic Church?..I’m not saying there is not, but that I am t just not aware of it…I’m not familiar with a definitive determination made by the Church.
Anyone know of any?

I love A Mighty Fortress is Our God, Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, and Earth and All Stars

The approval process for hymns is often determined by the local bishop, as described here.
https://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zliturg8.htm

Typically in the USA, the inclusion of a hymn in a hymnal or missal approved by the USCCB is seen as being “approval” of the hymn with the words shown. Sometimes the words of the “Protestant hymns” are changed for Catholic use.

Most pastors in my experience will have one or two hymnals that they expect most (or in some cases, all) of the church music selections to be taken from.

I know a couple parishes where they use a lot of Christian contemporary music for youth Masses, much of which is not in a missal, and I’m not sure what approval process they use for that but I suspect there is something.

Also, it’s been my understanding when I was involved in music planning (in one particular diocese only) that certain songs might be okay for a communion reflection (after communion) but not for other times in the Mass. For example, it was not unusual to use some popular song with a religious overtone but which was not a hymn or a Christian song, as the communion reflection. We used a John Lennon song once right after he died. We would not have been allowed to use that song as the opening, offertory, communion or closing hymn as it would not have been considered “approved”.

Fair enough…there seems to be a myriad of diocesan “approvals”, but not a universal…so one in my diocese might be locally approved, but not in yours…and the list may change when Bishops change.

I own at least a dozen current Protestant hymnals, and another dozen older hymnals. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence is in all of those hymnals, even the Evangelical hymnals.

It is a beautiful hymn. I used it the last time the Protestant church I play for had their communion service.

. . . or for the purpose of modernizing the language. And in either case, when we sing them at our parish, I change’em back!

D

Be Thou My Vision is a favorite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.