Appreciation of Protestant Hymns

I’ve heard that one many times.

It’s actually quite reverent if you listen. But then, I have the vinyl album . . . (It also has “The Winner” and several other excellent songs. I’d rate it and Waylon Jennings “I’ve always been crazy” as the best of all time . . .)

We sang it this evening as our recessional hymn.

Does William Blake’s “Jerusalem” count as a “Protestant hymn”?
Here in USA we rarely ever hear it anywhere (and of course not in church).
I never could figure out why it was controversial that Emerson, Lake and Palmer recorded a version of it, but I’m not English.

I don’t know what video you had linked, the link didn’t work for me. But it brought up several videos of the song and I happened to click on the one by Andy Griffith & Don Knotts. I like Andy’s picking and the relaxed way they sing the song, though they don’t sing the whole thing. It’s one of the songs I’ve been familiar with since my childhood, probably from my local radio station’s C&W programming since many country artists recorded that one.

Robert Bridges (Poet Laureate) can probably be credited for turning the poem into a hymn. He got Sir Hubert Parry to set it to music and it was sung at ‘Fight for the Right’ meetings - a crusading movement set up to build a better Britain for soldiers returning home from the First World War. It was also sung at the Albert Hall in March 1918 to celebrate the granting of votes to women.

The first hymnal to include it was the ‘Student Hymnal’ of 1923. It’s included in the current hymnal in use at my Anglican shack and we occasionally give it an airing. Set to Parry’s tune ‘Jerusalem’ it has attained the status of a national hymn.

I once heard that one in a Catholic church, sung by a soloist. I don’t remember ever hearing it sung by the congregation, though.

When I was baptist we had “I saw the Light” Hank Williams. Prolly never will at Mass Though.

Every Good Friday we sing “Were you there when they crucified my Lord” at Communion service while venerating the cross. It’s always my most emotional time at Church of the year and has been since I was confirmed Catholic…

“This is the Feast” is one of my favorite hymns from my Lutheran upbringing. It sounds REALLY good on an organ. The doxology is another favorite. “Go my Children with my Blessing” always makes me cry. “Thy Word is a Lamp unto my Feet”, " They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love", “Lift High the Cross”, “What a Friend we have in Jesus”, I could go on. If any of these are in the Catholic hymnal, I apologize, I simply haven’t heard/seen them! I was shocked to find “A Mighty Fortress” in the Catholic hymnal when I first converted. Growing up, I thought that was a strictly Lutheran hymn, as it was written by Martin Luther.

Heard “Just as I am” today. Beautiful.

I have never seen this classed as a hymn .

The only public place I have heard it being sing is the pub . :smile:

I like it .

Last night I lay a-sleeping
There came a dream so fair,
I stood in old Jerusalem
Beside the temple there.
I heard the children singing,
And ever as they sang
Methought the voice of angels
From heaven in answer rang,
Methought the voice of angels
From heaven in answer rang.

Jerusalem! Jerusalem!
Lift up your gates and sing,
Hosanna in the highest!
Hosanna to your King!

And then methought my dream was changed,
The streets no longer rang.
Hushed were the glad Hosannas
The little children sang.
The sun grew dark with mystery,
The morn was cold and chill,
As the shadow of a cross arose
Upon a lonely hill,
As the shadow of a cross arose
Upon a lonely hill.

Jerusalem! Jerusalem!
Hark! How the angels sing,
Hosanna in the highest!
Hosanna to your King!

And once again the scene was changed,
New earth there seemed to be.
I saw the Holy City
Beside the tideless sea.
The light of God was on its streets,
The gates were open wide,
And all who would might enter,
And no one was denied.
No need of moon or stars by night,
Or sun to shine by day;
It was the new Jerusalem
That would not pass away,
It was the new Jerusalem
That would not pass away.

Jerusalem! Jerusalem!
Sing for the night is o’er!
Hosanna in the highest!
Hosanna forevermore!

“They’ll Know We are Christians By Our Love” was huge in the Catholic Church in the late 60s and early 70s. It was one of the first “guitar Mass” hymns, before the St. Louis Jesuits wrote a ton of them. It was also associated with the Civil Rights Movement in US. You still hear it from time to time but not very often, I think people think of it as an old hippie hymn.

“Lift High the Cross” is pretty popular now . I know I have heard it several times in the past year at Mass.

Softly and Tenderly (Jesus is calling)

A beautiful hymn .

As a child, I was always fond of ‘This is my Father’s World’ and ‘Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty’. And don’t forget ‘Be Thou My Vision’. I’m not totally sure if they are Protestant hyms or ecumenical ones.

My wife used to sing this back in our Protestant days. I would accompany her on the piano. She could nail a high C in the last chorus.

D

"They’ll Know We Are Christians… " crops up at Mass in my parish occasionally.

A favorite of my father’s, which Mss. Lauryn Hill & Tanya Blount took it to a whole other level than I remember!

“His Eye Is on the Sparrow”:

We used to sing this song when I was a kid in Catholic school as well as at my old Baptist church long ago. Hardly anyone ever sings it anymore…I wish they would…

We sang it just this morning.

D

Lift High the Cross is in the Catholic Book of Worship III.
They’ll Know We Are Christians… was in the CBW & CBW II but it was dropped when CBW III was published.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.