Appreciation of Protestant Hymns

“Intercessional music”?

I forgot about this older hymn. It is based on a scripture reference from 2 Timothy 1:12. I find it very soothing when I hear it.

In the Pentecostal church where I grew up in the '50s and early '60s, that song was in the denomination’s hymnal (which is still being printed, BTW). There was a man who had a fine voice and would occasionally sing it as a “special”. Even as a kid, I always enjoyed hearing it, and if I could sing, I would sing it.

D

The only one I like is A Mighty Fortress is Our God I don’t like Luther but he was a decent composer and wasn’t as radical as Calvin and the other “reformers”.

I heard this old hymn today on a conservative Protestant radio station. It had been several years since I heard it last. I think it is called ‘I stand Amazed’. This version is by folks affiliated with the late evangelist, Billy Graham, or at least I noticed a number of his former associates in it.

We always sang this song quite a bit faster - know it well.

“Come Thou Font of Every Blessing” was one we sang today at church. It is also an older Protestant hymn.

We used it, with all verses!, at a Knights of Columbus convention.

On Saturday nights/Sunday mornings, one of the local Protestant religious radio stations where I live plays hymns and older praise songs. Last night, among many others, they played “*Let us Break Bread Together on our Knees”. I hadn’t heard it for awhile. It is an old African American spiritual that I grew up singing in my family’s church from time to time as they were about ready to celebrate communion.

“Sweet Hour of Prayer” is a wonderful song that makes me think of Eucharistic Adoration.

“Nearer My God to Thee”, “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” are two that I often sing :slight_smile:

Hillbilly Thomists cover some great “Protestant” songs

I was gonna say this! I was so fortunate to see Hillsong Worship in concert a few months back. I absolutely adore evangelical worship music. <3

A hymn sung at every FA Cup Final

For all the problems he brought into Christianity, Luther’s A Mighty Fortress is Our God is really good.

10,000 Reasons and hymn versions of Isaiah 43 are also really nice. That might be a bit of nostalgia speaking, though, since they were sung at every RUF gathering when I was in college.

Also, if not played in an effort to go for the world’s slowest song record, I also enjoy It is Well With My Soul.

The Knights use it quite often, in fact.

I like Bach’s first cantata but I don’t particular like the way the German looks, hopefully I’ll be able to make a Google translation in Latin since that usually looks cleaner.
http://www.emmanuelmusic.org/notes_translations/translations_cantata/t_bwv001.htm

Let it Be - The Beatles

I love Bach’s music, too, but a cantata is not a hymn. The congregation doesn’t (hopefully) sing along with Bach’s music.

I think there is room in the Church for both Bach cantata’s and hymns.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.