Appropiate in a chapel?

i recently went to make a holy hour at a local chapel, but when i went inside, there was a music group practicing. though, it was not christian music that was being rehearsed for worship, but more along the lines of a kind of irish classical entertaining music. the group was positioned in the sanctuary right in front of the altar, facing outward. like one might expect if the church was a concert hall.
i am uncertain if this is appropiate. it was kind of odd, seeing as how they were directly in front of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and in the sanctuary, and obviously theres was talking back and forth between the group. it was not exactly an atmosphere appropiate or condusive for adoration. or so i thought
are there any guidelines about what is appropiate activity within a chapel? are nonchristian activities appropiate? such as this bands rehearsal?

well, the raised altar area looks like a "stage", and they're none the wiser. These types of things highlight the importance of things like altar rails, to demarc the "Holy" place.

The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued a declaration in 1987 as to "concerts" in Churches. While this wasn't a concert (since there was no audience as such) the document can provide some guidance.

adoremus.org/concerts.html

[quote="spotty, post:1, topic:179297"]
i recently went to make a holy hour at a local chapel, but when i went inside, there was a music group practicing. though, it was not christian music that was being rehearsed for worship, but more along the lines of a kind of irish classical entertaining music. the group was positioned in the sanctuary right in front of the altar, facing outward. like one might expect if the church was a concert hall.
i am uncertain if this is appropiate. it was kind of odd, seeing as how they were directly in front of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and in the sanctuary, and obviously theres was talking back and forth between the group. it was not exactly an atmosphere appropiate or condusive for adoration. or so i thought
are there any guidelines about what is appropiate activity within a chapel? are nonchristian activities appropiate? such as this bands rehearsal?

[/quote]

absolutely under no circumstances should these be going on when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. If this is the chapel set aside specifically for adoration, either before the closed tabernacle or when the sacrament is exposed, no other activity should ever be going on, other than planned devotional activities at times--rosary etc. If Mass is celebrated there the Sacrament should be reposed until after Mass.

This is an abuse please speak to the priest immediately. It is possible the Blessed Sacrament had been removed and hopefully moved to a suitable place, but my bet he did not know about this.

If it is a multi-use space, such as at a Catholic school, that sometimes is used for Mass or other devotions, there should not be a tabernacle at all with the Blessed Sacrament present, or only when the specific liturgical use is going on. OP is not speaking about a concert, which in any case even if approved would entail the tabernacle being moved to another location, but improper use of a sacred space with the Blessed Sacrament present. OP is speaking about the casual use of sacred space for purposes other than intended.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.