Appropriate to request anointing of the sick?

Is it appropriate to request anointing of the sick for someone getting a hip replacement surgery?

Yes it is. Surgery involving general anesthesia is always a cause for anointing.

-Fr ACEGC

8 Likes

I think it is especially if they are old. You can always ask.

Yes, it is- I suffer from a genetic disorder that sometimes renders the ability to breathe well during surgeries. For future surgeries, I’m always planning to request for one before I have a surgery.

Other than surgery, it is also appropriate to get the anointing of the sick when you are sick as well.

1 Like

I received anointing a week and a half ago. Went to confession and mentioned to the priest that I had upcoming surgery, and when confession was done he went to get the oil.

Surgery has now been postponed twice - first because of infection, then yesterday because equipment the doctor ordered hadn’t arrived. I trust that the sacrament is giving me the grace of patience…

Yes. I had the anointing when I went in for surgery to remove a malignant tumour from my arm.

Followup question for @edward_george1

I just found out this morning that my surgery has been postponed again, to February 4 – four full weeks after the original date of January 7th.

I was anointed on January 4th. Would it be improper to request anointing again the weekend before the new, rescheduled date?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.