Approved scriptural translations

Was wondering if there are any approved Catholic bible translations using the more classical form of the English language? I’m actually quite fond of the “thees” and “thous”. Obviously the King James Bible contains this BUT it is of course a translation our Protestant brothers and sisters use and therefore is unapproved and obviously missing books essential to Catholic cannon. Also looking for a translation that could be described by some I suppose as “difficult to read”. I’m well read and tend to relish complex and unorthodox wording. Thanks to all who answer
-Raphael

Look for a Douay-Rheims Bible. :bible1:

haydock1859.tripod.com/

If I recall correctly, the RSV-CE retained the ‘thee’ and ‘thou’ language (while the RSV-2CE – the ‘second edition’) replaced them. You might want to look for the RSV-CE, then. Just make sure it’s the RSV-CE (“Catholic Edition”) and not only RSV, and that it’s not the 2nd edition…

=ServusHumilis;12451056]Look for a Douay-Rheims Bible. :bible1:

HERE IT IS:)

drbo.org/

The Knox Version would also be a great alternative to the D-R. You can read it online on New Advent’s Bible page.

Very archaic,very literal: Douay
Moderate archaic/literal: Confraternity NT/Douay OT (psalms can be either Douay or new latin psalter). Any Confraternity OT will not have archaic in those sections. A used Catholic Book Publishing Company edition 1952 or earlier is best imho.
Moderate archaic/poetic: Knox
Light archaic/literal: RSV non-second edition
Archaic/a translation nobody else in your parish uses: Westminster NT/Psalms with the Douay OT published by Hawthorne in 1958 or 1965.

I think thats it for translations that are complete Bibles with archaic english.

There are some KJV that include the Apocrypha.

This is true, in fact I believe the KJV originally included the DC books, and it wasn’t until later that they were removed. Of course even an edition “with Apocrypha” is still not an approved Bible translation by the Catholic Church. This doesn’t mean Catholics can’t read it, but since the OP asked specifically for approved versions I feel the D-R, Knox, or MAYBE RSV Catholic Edition would be more along the lines of what is desired. But yes good point about the KJV including the full Catholic canon.

The KJV included the “Apocrypha” until the 19th century!

Well I found a few of these and guess what?

They are so rare they’re selling for more than $250.00 !!!

YOWSER! :mad:

This edition of the RSV-CE for $17 does not include the word “second” before Catholic edition, but of course I cannot claim to know anything about the product or website. It might be the second edition and just not say it, but if you’re interested in the RSV-CE keep looking, $250 is absurd- I’m sure you can find it cheaper.

Additionally BibleGateway has one that says “Catholic edition” and not “second Catholic edition” that can be read free online, but again I’m not sure what it really is.

Finally, here’s a website with the KJV DC books that can be read online. Again, this is still not an approved translation.

:wink:

of the RSV-CE for $17 does not include the word “second” before Catholic edition, but of course

That’s IT! I’d prefer some sort of leather binding-- those were the expensive ones.

BTW-- I think you can find out if it’s the first edition by looking at the publication date. Thus far, every first edition has had the publication date of 10/2009. Of course, I could be wrong, but that seems to be the trend. There’s probably a difference in the ISBN as well.

THANK for the find!

P.S. I hate depending on online versions. My tin foil hat has led me to believe that someday the entire infrastructure of this country will, in some way, cease for a while. :wink:
I like something I can carry with me incase I have to bug out! :smiley:

The Second Catholic Edition will say Second Catholic Edition, and all Second Catholic Editions are currently published only by Ignatius Press. If it’s from St. Benedict Press, it will be first Catholic Edition.

Also note that the RSV only uses thees, thous and thys when addressing God in prayer (e.g. with the Psalms, “Thou O LORD…”) but conversations between people are in the modern second person (you, you and your).
[/quote]

Also note that the RSV only uses thees, thous and thys when addressing God in prayer (e.g. with the Psalms, “Thou O LORD…”) but conversations between people are in the modern second person (you, you and your).

This was important to me-- thank you for that. I’ll probably get the paperback first then…

I just got my Knox Bible last week, I absolutely love it. I think you will feel very comfortable reading it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.