Arab chant played at N.Y. Jewish wedding

Arab chant played at N.Y. Jewish wedding

WOODBURY, N.Y., Jan. 11 (UPI) – A New York waiter has been charged with a hate crime after playing Arabic chants of “God is great” over loudspeakers at a Jewish wedding reception, police say. Authorities say Stephen Buttafuoco, 23, was charged Friday with aggravated harassment after persuading the disc jockey at a Jewish wedding party in Long Island to pipe a recording of Arab demonstrators chanting “Allahu akbar,” or “God is great,” through the hall’s loudspeakers, the New York Post reported.

Police claim Buttafuoco, who was working the event as a waiter, “admitted he did this with the intent of disrespecting the (Jewish) religion,” court documents indicate. But the man’s lawyer says Buttafuoco meant no harm and didn’t realize his cell phone recording, which he had made at a pro-Palestinian rally in Manhattan, would be broadcast through the speakers.

His attorney, Thomas Spreer, said Buttafuoco was not anti-Semitic and had worked for the caterers staging the reception for about two years without any problem. Buttafuoco, he said, “was just quietly rebelling against his dad,” a pro-Israeli Pentecostal minister.

Okay, Mr. Buttafuco is a jerk.
But under NY law he is not only guilty of a felony (aggravated harassment) but with a hate crime enhancement as well.

"His attorney, Thomas Spreer, said Buttafuoco was not anti-Semitic and had worked for the caterers staging the reception for about two years without any problem. Buttafuoco, he said, “was just quietly rebelling against his dad,” a pro-Israeli Pentecostal minister. "

Young Mr Buttafuoco is about to learn that there are consequences to offensive behaviour.

I would feel the same as those Jews should someone play a Tony Alamo,Joe Mizzi or Armstrong tape at my wedding.Although the latter are not calling for my death(I think…)

this seems like something that should have been handled as a civil matter. if they were that offended they should have sued him and the company he worked for. while it was totaly inapproiate and offensive i did not see anything in the article that showed these actions rising to the level of a criminal offense.

He persuades the DJ to play it, but he’s not ant-semitic?

The guy is obviously an A #1 jerk. Not sure if it is a crime but his employer will probably get sued and Mr Buttafuoco probably will not be employed much longer.

I wonder if he’s related to Danny Buttafuoco the guy from Patridge Family?

i read in a seprate article on the same story that he was not, they specifically mentioned it so im guessing you werent the only one wondering.

No, that was Danny Bonaduce.
imdb.com/name/nm0093697/

The AP story about the Arab chant incident, hwoever, did mention that there was no relationship to Joey Buttafuoco, whose 17-year-old lover Amy Fisher shot his wife in the face more than a decade ago.
google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWZhOCdFGnT-uFjy888zQ83iM1QgD95L7U0O0

Its an unusual last name.

I don’t think this was a crime, it was just a stupid joke.

Well, then you need to vote to change the law. It IS a crime.

this is an honest and sincere question so please dont think im trying to argue.you or your view.

but what would the crime be? what about this constitutes a crime? and who is the criminal the person who did it, or the employer whose equipment was used and allowed it to happen? where they criminally negligent if they allowed a crime to happen?

Maybe you could ask the elected officials who voted for making it a crime? That’s the best I can do for you.

You might ponder why it is a crime to yell ‘fire’ in a crowded theatre?

ok i think i misunderstoond your comment. i thought you meant’even if it isnt a crime make it one because it qualifies’ not ‘it already is a crime’

i just misread. but since i am not now nor will i ever be a citizen of new york i guess i dont get much say in their laws.

Texas? That’s a whole different country from NY!:smiley:

it was, and God willing maybe one day it will be again.

Thanks Dale. I knew that name sounded familiar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.