Arab states back US push against Islamic state

Ten Arab states, including Saudi Arabia, have agreed to rally with the US in tackling the threat posed by Islamic State (IS) jihadists.

The agreement followed talks between Arab ministers and US Secretary of State John Kerry in the Saudi city of Jeddah.

A statement said they discussed a strategy to destroy IS “wherever it is, including in both Iraq and Syria”.

Earlier, Russia warned the US against using air strikes in Syria…

In addition to Saudi Arabia, Arab states taking part were Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Nato member Turkey was also represented.

bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29166372

This is what is needed. They might make short work of ISIS

In this video that follows Senator Rand Paul accurately describes some causes and effects concerning the conflicts in the middle-east:

video.foxnews.com/v/3778728619001/sen-rand-paul-discusses-obamas-isis-strategy/#sp=show-clips

At about midway in the video Rand Paul explains that Sunnis and Shia have been warring with each other for 1000 years …
Not sure of the details as to why, but just like Christians have had their differences, so have Muslims;
And sorry to say, but imho it’s the Sunnis, not the Shiites behind all the radical Islam from Al Qaeda to ISIS;
And for some reason we tend to side with the Sunni side over the Shia side risking arming more Sunni Islam radicals imo.

If I’m not mistaken there was news recently of Arab Sunnis persecuting Christians again in Saudi Arabia.

PS:
The crazy thing is that secular monsters like Gaddafi, Hussein and Assad managed to hold down the Sunni radicals until we tried to spread democracy among them. :eek:

rex

Actually since 632 AD

Not sure of the details as to why, but just like Christians have had their differences, so have Muslims;

It has to do with who was the proper successor to Mohammed to be caliph (leader) of the Islamic community.

And sorry to say, but imho it’s the Sunnis, not the Shiites behind all the radical Islam from Al Qaeda to ISIS;

Al Qaeda and ISIS are Sunni. Hezbullah and Iran terror groups are Shia. Even though terrorists make up very small percentages of each population - because there are many more Sunnis than there are Shiites in the world, there are more Sunni terrorists.

And for some reason we tend to side with the Sunni side over the Shia side risking arming more Sunni Islam radicals imo.

From what I can tell, we try not to arm any terrorists.

If I’m not mistaken there was news recently of Arab Sunnis persecuting Christians again in Saudi Arabia.

The practice of any religion outside of Islam is forbidden in Saudi Arabia by law. Has been since the founding of Saudi Arabia. I think someone already posted in World News the history there. I linked to the history of the Wahabi Sunni sect’s relationship with Saudi Arabia as well.

The crazy thing is that secular monsters like Gaddafi, Hussein and Assad managed to hold down the Sunni radicals until we tried to spread democracy among them. :eek:

History has shown that violent terrorists are suppressed by strong armies. Really doesn’t matter who runs the army to suppress them. If you want to keep them suppressed though you need to come up with a social structure that the population accepts. We don’t see many of those in the middle east because there is not a recent history of democracy or benevolent tyranny there. Last largely accepted society was the Ottoman which was destroyed early last century.

I have more sympathy for the Shia because they tend to be more tolerant of religious minorities, and politically they seem less manipulated by America and the West.

The largest population of Sunni Muslims is in Indonesia, where there is great tolerance for religious minorities.

The Muslim world isn’t all Arab.

Right we run the risk that the people will hate us for supporting the dictatorship so this shows it is a bit of a lose-lose situation all the way around.

Indonesia has witnessed numerous attacks on Christians.

So has the US

I notice reporting on Isil numbers grew overnight from 17 thousand to 30 thousand.

ISIS grew significantly under the leadership of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi gaining support in Iraq as a result of alleged economic and political discrimination against Iraqi Sunnis. Then, after entering the Syrian Civil War, it established a large presence in the Syrian governorates of Ar-Raqqah, Idlib, Deir ez-Zor and Aleppo.[78] In June 2014, it had at least 4,000 fighters in its ranks in Iraq.[79] It has claimed responsibility for attacks on government and military targets and for attacks that killed thousands of civilians.[80] In August 2014, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed that the number of fighters in the group had increased to 50,000 in Syria and 30,000 in Iraq,[18] while the CIA estimated in September 2014 that in both countries it had between 20,000 and 31,500 fighters.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIslamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant&ei=XswSVKCbAaGH8QGTg4CYDw&usg=AFQjCNFDMKluEz6ocxRSE859VKyaamyLPA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.