Arabs vow to confront Islamic State, cooperate with international efforts

(Reuters) - Arab League foreign ministers agreed on Sunday to take all necessary measures to confront Islamic State and cooperate with international, regional and national efforts to combat militants who have overrun swathes of Iraq and Syria.

The Arab League also endorsed in the closing statement of its meeting in Cairo a UN Security Council resolution passed last month calling on member states to “act to suppress the flow of foreign fighters, financing and other support to Islamist extremist groups in Iraq and Syria”.

Baghdad had earlier submitted a draft resolution endorsing its own efforts to confront militants who have seized large areas for a cross-border caliphate and to condemn Islamic State’s actions as war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Diplomatic sources said before the meeting that Arab foreign ministers were set to endorse a U.S. aerial campaign against the group and Egypt’s official Mena news agency said the ministers would agree to coordinate with the United States.

The final text did not directly endorse either the Iraqi or U.S. campaign against Islamic State, but diplomatic sources said the wording clearly offered Arab cooperation to U.S. and Iraqi efforts and could be read as a tacit agreement to back Washington’s campaign against the group.

Arab League chief Nabil al-Arabi told the session that the rise of the group in Iraq challenged not merely the authority of the state but “its very existence and the existence of other states” and called for a decisive resolution to confront terrorism militarily, politically, economically and culturally.

Arabi suggested that military action could take place under the umbrella of an Arab League joint defense pact.

It was not clear whether the Arab commitment to take all necessary action against Islamic State and other militant groups would include direct military involvement in Iraq or Syria.

reuters.com/article/2014/09/07/us-iraq-crisis-arabs-idUSKBN0H20D220140907?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter

Cairo-Iraqi draft Arab league resolution says ISIS actions constitute war crimes, crimes against humanity

Members of the Arab League:

Algeria
Bahrain
Comoros
Djibouti
Egypt
Iraq
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Libya
Mauritania
Morocco
Oman
Palestine
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Somalia
Sudan
Syria (vacant)
Tunisia
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

I dont know if to see this in s poditivr light or be leary about it.

The only one with any serious military capability is Egypt and, like some (or perhaps all) of the others, it probably needs its military to keep peace at home.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE could hire G4S, Academi and others, I suppose. There are a lot more potential (and effective) mercenaries in the world than Obama will ever dedicate of American armed forces to eliminating ISIS.

Good. Let the Middle East handle it’s own problems.

it’s also our problem. Even Obama admits that.

It’s only our problem when we get involved. Our real problem is that United States has created a global culture of dependence on our military. Stay out of it and let the Arab League fill the gap.

I meant positive

Always the fault of the U.S. then?

Even when this country goes isolationist, which it has done before and is doing now, the world manages to pose threats not only to other peoples, but to us as well.

And, of course, the Arab League is woefully weak. Israel proved that even when the Arab countries were much stronger than they are now.

Though I wouldn’t use the term “even” I would agree that we need to take care of Isis.

Its not a fault being involved, the fault is the thinking behind the involvement. Listen to Obama, he is literally speaking about healing a schism between Sunni and Shia. After 1400 years “he, Obama” will do this?

Semi isolationist, I think we have a negative idea of Isolationism. We should be concerned for the country and its protection both physical and in ideology. But that also isn’t suggestive that we can’t interact on a world level.

Self imposed International isolation is a penalty to ourselves. Political and the US interests isn’t subjected to re-thinking the safety of the country. Frankly it seems to me we compromise political for our interest and I don’t see “value for value” in the trade off when safety is compromised and the constitution itself assaulted. Bad foreign policy.

…and by “confront them” they mean simply they wont join them. But will they attack them? Thats the question…

We are working on it as you speak. Hey, when SA and the USA both repeated 3-year terrorist war, which no doubt can wind up being 10, I’m loosing interest quickly. Its getting the “slow clap” :smiley: I love the plan for Syria and Assad, there is none, we “hope” that works itself out in the process of our healing Mohammeds schism. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is very important that Muslim countries get involved in fighting against the Islamists.
This after all is first and foremost a problem with Islam.
There is a catcb-22 nevertheless. When they do get involved, the Islamists were portrary them as go-boys for the Great Satan America.

It isn’t only a matter of sunni and shia. It’s also a matter of iron-fisted rule by Shiite mullahs who employ gangs of thugs to beat down all who oppose them. It’s also a matter of the Mullah-ocracy and its close allies acquiring enormous wealth at the expense of the people.

It’s also a matter of Arab and Persian. By way of comparison, how many Germans would want to be ruled by Russians, or vice versa?

I also don’t know whether to think of this in a positive light or not. I’m leaning towards thinking of it in a positive light because hopefully the threat from ISIS will be eliminated.

Its the same issue only more progressed which we have contended with right along. The strategy has to go way beyond Iraq now and be progressive too. We need a strategy which is clear for Syria. Without all on the same page, we have a path to failure.

We need an English news story on this but the Holy Bishop Tomasso Ghirreli of Italy is saying to Islam:

"Condannate le persecuzioni o lasciate l’Italia"

“Condemn the Persecution or Leave (behind) Italy”, some blogs are reporting a translated version.

It’s right here in this story from Italy: ilrestodelcarlino.it/imola/vescovo-islamici-1.185624

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQ7gEwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftranslate.google.com%2Ftranslate%3Fhl%3Den%26sl%3Dit%26u%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ilfattoquotidiano.it%2F2014%2F09%2F06%2Fislam-il-vescovo-di-imola-musulmani-condannino-violenze-o-vadano-via-da-qui%2F1112683%2F%26prev%3D%2Fsearch%253Fq%253DTommaso%252BGhirelli%252Bon%252Bislam%2526espv%253D2%2526biw%253D780%2526bih%253D359&ei=8cwNVM-rNKKd8QH68IGgDw&usg=AFQjCNHJO-QLXbsHqcI-z5YwbWOVtNPTfg

I personally don’t need a translation; just saying such a story would merit its own thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.