`arak Isaiah 40: 18

*`arak *appears in Isaiah 40: 18 and is translated “compare.”

How does the Septuagint translate `arak?

Does that translation make it into the New Testament?

THANKS!

It is second person future tense in Hebrew, meaning “will you compare” or also meaning imperative (though the context doesn’t really support imperative) “you shall compare”

The greek uses the same word for “Liken” and “Compare”, so the translators of the Septuagint thought of both Hebrew words (Liken and Compare) to mean the same.
Greek: ὡμοιώσατε homoiosate - it is 2nd person plural, also, but not in future, rather in aorist active indicative, meaning, “do you liken” or “do you compare”

What’s the reference in the NT? Though, even without a reference, it is most likely they used some tense of ὡμοιώσατε.

Saint John:

THANKS!

I believe that we get compared to the Word of God and the Word made love or flesh.

I believe that we are compared, judged or measured. The idea is from the measuring of the Heavenly Jerusalem.

I believe that a person that is judged as justified or righteous is measured, judged, or compared to Jesus Christ. Faith is internal and therefore justification or righteousness is internal.

I believe *mashal *and parabolē are further examples.

I believe that I said way too much.

THANKS!

Hi Jim,
1 John 3 uses the same - homoioi - (1st person plural) " what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be** like (comparable to)**him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure."

It is kind of a strange combination of how to look at this: We know we are going to be just like him / comparable to him. And at the same time we are busy purifying ourselves to be like him / comparable to him.

It is as if John is saying, “We know we are going to be like him when we see him because we are acting just like him now”.
Later in chapter 3 he says, “Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning.”

Basically, we belong to him because he called and baptized us; and now we are acting like him because we have to be true to what he has made us and true to him. And when all is said and done, in heaven, you will look at us and realize we really are just like Jesus.

St. John:

Thanks!

If I understood you, you see our righteousness “growing” inside us here and now.

THANKS!

Jim,
Yes, absolutetly, it is like water running through coffee grounds - clear, then suddenly infused with color, flavor, and caffeine.

We are the water, and Jesus, His Spirit, infuses us with spiritual color, flavor, power.
You have undoubltedly heard the teaching about The Holy Spirit coming into us with Grace, infusing us with Faith, Hope, Charity. Well, this really happens, it is not just a metaphor or symbolic speech about Baptism, but literally it happens.

If you lived at Jesus’ time, and believed him, you would have asked him if you could follow him. He would have smiled, nodded, then looked over to Peter and James and said, “Give him citizenship in my Kingdom”. They would have come and taken you to the river and baptized you, making you a new citizen, disciple of the King. And your whole being is now in the presence of Jesus being saturated by his word rather than your own understanding of yourself. You are righteous to him, and therefore you say, “I am justified walking with him because he chose to include me with him”
Today we ask Jesus, by asking the Church, and they make us citizens by baptizing us, and granting us the Holy Spirit, and suddenly, full of this Grace and the Virtues of Faith, Hope, Charity, we now say, “I am justified walking with him, participating in his Sacrifice and proclaiming his Kingdom because he chose to include me with him.”

And, we then grow in this Grace and Truth and mature in our righteousness, believing God, trusting him every step of the way, and doing the works only a righteous person is capable of. “With faith, all things are possible.” God called us, and, like Abraham, we are walking toward Hebron, we are sacrificing ourselves just as Abraham sacrificed Isaac (in his understanding), we are looking forward to promises just as Abraham understood he would be the father of a great nation and by him the whole world would be blessed.

Yes, we are righteous now. And God has decided he is going to treat us like his friends because we believed in his Son, in the word his Son sent to us, and joined his Son on this journey.

St. John:

THANKS!

I truly enjoy reading your ideas. You’re good!

I noticed a few days ago your blog.

What is your ministry?

THANKS!

Hi Jim,
My blog is what I do in my spare time (if any) when I am not writing software for work.
I am trying to put things Aquinas talked about into common language so everyone can taste it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.