(Arch)bishop Salmple's Pastoral Letter on Music, a true gift to his Diocese

scribd.com/doc/125306966/Pastoral-Letter-Rejoice-In-The-Lord-Always

Although much of what follows may contravene the formation that many have experienced over recent years, this is in no way to be interpreted as a criticism of those dedicated Church musicians who have offered their service with a generous heart and with good will.

Interesting, given that he now has quite an influence over OCP now...

This is a true breath of fresh air.

Thanks for posting, YoungTrad. I’ve not yet finished reading it , but it looks absolutely fantastic.

I particularly appreciated the following statement:

"...so often the music selected for Mass is reduced to a matter of subjective "taste", i.e.
what style of music appeals to this or that person or group, as if there were no objective principles to be followed. There are indeed objective principles worthy of study and proper implementation, as will be shown."

Also (in reference to sincere but mistaken/misled church musicians):

"It must be said that the principles and practical applications which follow will come as a real change in focus and direction for many of these same dedicated people."

Also, in reference to those who are sincere, good hearted, but quite mistaken, he adds:

"Although much of what follows MAY CONTRAVENE THE FORMATION THAT MANY HAVE EXPERIENCED OVER RECENT YEARS, this is in no way to be interpreted as a criticism of those dedicated Church musicians who have offered their service with a generous heart and with good will."

I'm glad he said this, as so many times (as evidenced on this Forum) these musicians are very defensive and take criticisms of certain types of music at Mass as a criticism of themselves, and claim that others are "judging" them personally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.