Archaeologists Believe They Have Found the Church of the Apostles

A team of Israeli and American archaeologists claim to have discovered The Church of the Apostles, near Israel’s Sea of Galilee. The church is said to have been built over the house of Jesus’ disciples Peter and Andrew, in the ancient Jewish fishing village of Bethsaida, which later became the Roman city of Julias.

The el-Araj site, in Beit Habek near the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee, has been excavated by experts from the Kinneret Institute for Galilean Archaeology at Kinneret College in Israel and Nyack College in New York.

https://world.greekreporter.com/2019/07/31/archaeologists-believe-they-have-found-the-church-of-the-apostles/
4 Likes

My favorite part of the article:

The church’s discovery is important for at least two reasons, the professor explained. “First, until its recent discovery, many scholars questioned its existence. Although it is mentioned in Byzantine pilgrimage itineraries, many thought these reports mistaken,” he said.

Don’t ya just love “scholars”?

2 Likes

Wait until the Dead Sea dries up. Archaeologists find Sodom and Gomorrah. As many think.

Thanks for this thread! I have bookmarked the page - to enjoy one of my favorite subjects! Absolutely amazing that the techniques and equipment used today can tell us so much about the past that so many doubt happened! Love it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.