Archaeologists excavate 2,000-year-old ruins in ancient town of Magdala where Christ is thought to have taught disciples

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2884899/Did-Jesus-preach-synagogue-Archaeologists-excavate-2-000-year-old-ruins-ancient-town-Magdala-Christ-thought-taught-disciples.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

An ancient synagogue unearthed on the shoreline of the Sea of Galilee may have been a temple where Jesus preached, according to the Christian organisation that owns the site.

Archaeologists have been excavating the 2,000-year-old ruins, which date from the 1st century, in the town of Migdal in northern Israel.

The town is thought to sit on top of what was the ancient town of Magdala, the birth place of Mary Magdalene, one of Jesus’ most devoted followers.

During excavations in preparation for the construction of a new hotel on beachfront on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee, archaeologists uncovered a delicately carved stone featuring menorah, a seven branched candelabrum that is a symbol in Judaism.

Now the Legions of Christ, the Catholic organisation which owns the land where the synagogue was discovered, are now claiming that Jesus himself may have preached there.

I saw this on the news this morning. Pretty awesome.

DGB

I just read this earlier on the internet.
Interesting. I love biblical archaeology!

Now the Legions of Christ, the Catholic organisation which owns the land where the synagogue was discovered, are now claiming that Jesus himself may have preached there.

Are people aware of this organization, Legions of Christ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Christ

Are or Are Not related to the Legionnaires of Christ? Apparently they are.

Magdala , huh? I can’t wait for them to dig up carvings of 2 stick figures of a man and woman as evidence that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.