Archangels?

Hi!

It was revealed to me during prayer that the name of my guardian angel was Archangel Brandael, whose name means flame or firebrand of God, who perhaps purges in a similar way to the seraph in Ezekiel.

I don’t know that Brandael is one of the 7 angels who minister at the throne, and I suspect he isn’t or else he might not be sent as my guardian, but I know he is an archangel as he is upset when I adress him as anything other than archangel. Is it possible, then, that “archangel” is a title of angel like monsignor, not a rank in the angelic heirarchy?

You may want to read about the 9 choirs of angels. http://www.catholic.org/saints/anglchoi.php

As a rule Archangels are not guardian angels… However, it could be that one was sent to deliver a message to you… (Archangels speak for God) Be open to the directions this angel may give you.

This is contrary to the Teaching of The Church.

Of course, it could be a false revelation. BTW, I am not suggesting that my angel is the seraph from Ezekiel, mabe that he just fulfils a similar function by purging away evil. How exactly is this contrary to the teachings of the church? Tell me and I will correct myself. God bless. BTW, are the choirs of angels an official teaching or just a theory?

Here’s a quote from CA on naming your gaurdian angel (which you shouldn’t do):

Q:“ I have read that it is good to pray to learn your guardian angel’s name. Is this true?
”A: The practice of naming guardian angels is discouraged by the Church: “Popular devotion to the holy angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations . . . [such as the] practice of assigning names to the holy angels [which] should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael, and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture” (Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy 217).

-Michelle Arnold

Here’s the link: catholic.com/thisrock/quickquestions/keyword/angels
It’s the second question down.

Ah, have you considered that this “angel” is just not who you think he is.

An angel who gets angry with you does not sound friendly.

Ok. If the church teaches this, then it is wrong to name them and I accept that. But why is it wrong for me to referance my guardian angel by the name that was revealed to me when I asked to know his name? It makes sense to think that, by naming the angel, I am somehow claiming power over him but I don’t believe I made the name up myself but that I was told it. Why does the church take this stance?

Also, he isn’t and never has been angry with me, he just seems wounded if I adress him purely as “angel”.

I’m not positive that it does. It takes this stance against naming your angel. I don’t know what the stance is as far as the name being revealed to you. I would, however, err on the side of caution and ask a priest before you continue what sounds like a two-sided “conversation” with your angel. Simply for the reason that it may not be your angel. It’s not wrong to assume your gaurdian angel is doing his/her job (note: I think that angels are complete spirit, not sure that’s Church teachign though either), and that you should ask for help and offer thanks for help. Since the angel is doing God’s work, I can’t imagine them being “offended” or “wounded” at anything personal. I think the problem can lie in giving them human attributes, which they don’t have. I could be wrong?

I can certainly see the problem with thinking up a name for him off the top of my head, but not with calling him by a revealed name. The impression I get from him is that he wants me to call him by the name and titl erevealed to me, not just the name. You’re right, though, best to err on the side of caution. I’ll speak to my priest as soon as I can.

Hi fireproof,

What a wonderful gift CatholicAnsweres is! This exact issue of a spirit claiming to be your guardian angel and giving you his name was addressed in the “Ask an Apologist” forum just today. It gives detailed instructions on how to proceed in this exact situation. Here is the link: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=386036

God bless.

Perhaps you are thinking of Uriel (Flame of God), who is one of the seven archangels, of which there are only seven. I must ask, though, what on Earth are you trying to do that you would need Uriel’s protection? He’s not exactly one of the most frequently sent guardians. I suggest Uriel because the name has the same meaning, so it would be the same name. Correct me if I’m wrong. If he’s not Uriel, he’s probably not one of the seven and not an archangel, just a Brownwing in over his head. In that case, try talking to him about why he wants to be an archangel. In any case, just remember that archangels and those above them are superior to men, and lower angels are right around our level, if a bit higher only through their knowledge of the Kingdom.

Not an apologetics topic and therefore closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.