Archangels

I’m writing a paper on the Archangels Micheal and Gabriel. I was wondering if you now bible verses on them and any catholic documents that I can look at?

Start by reading Daniel, Luke and Revelation. :bible1:

^^^^^
This & don’t forget about Raphael. (Book of Tobit)

There’s a lot of archangels. Just so happens they are portrayed in books the Catholic Church deems uninspired. However 4 Esdras, or 2 Esdras depending on the Bible you use , is in an appendix to the Latin Vulgate; and this book emphasizes on the archangel Uriels visions to Ezra. Uriel is also in the Book of Enoch, and the Apocalypse of Peter; maybe others but I’m not sure. Don’t know the official status the Church has on Uriel.

There are only three Archangels recognized by the Catholic Church & mentioned in the recognized Catholic Bibles; Gabriel, Michael & Tobit.

Correction; not Tobit; but Raphael mentioned in the Book of Tobit.

Yah I suppose in the eyes of the Church you are right; however this was only mandated in the 8th century. There’s actually by tradition seven archangel ; The earliest reference to a system of seven archangels as a group appears to be in Enoch I (the Book of Enoch) which is not part of the Jewish Canon but is prevalent in the Judaic tradition, where they are named as Gabriel ,Michael, Raphael , Uriel, Raguel , Remiel ( he is described in the Book of Enoch as having fallen from grace, possibly replaced by Phanuel , who is the fourth Archangel) and Sariel. While this book today is non-canonical in most Christian churches, it was explicitly quoted in the New Testament (Letter of Jude 1:14-15) and by many of the early Church Fathers.

So in short yes the Church only recognizes those three, but who knows really. The Book of Enoch is one book I have utterly never understood why it is not in the Bible, it was incredibly popular; so many traditions and beliefs come from It, and it is quoted right in the Letter of Jude. Some books which are Canon aren’t mentioned once in the New Testament, but this one which quotes right from it is left out. Well the Ethiopian Orthodox Church does include it but they have the largest Canon of any Christian group; 81 books.

:thumbsup:

Google is your friend.

I’m sure the are hundreds of thousands of arch angels we just only recognize a few.

“who knows really”?? The Church knows really!

Bobby, try the Catholic Encyclopedia.

Okay. How? A book which is quoted from in the Letter of Jude claims there are seven archangels. A book in an appendix to the Latin Vulgate which by the way is used in Entrance Antiphons; 4 Esdras, names the Archangel Uriel. So as far as I’m concerned the Church contradicts itself. It confers a book for Entrance Antiphons, especially in regards to Saints and Masses for the dead; but then says the angel in the book doesn’t exist? Sorry but there’s seven archangels; the Church only says there’s three because they only exist in the Canonical books. Actually there’s probably thousands of archangels. Some Pope in the 8th century made this Canon Law; however I do not have to agree with everything the Pope does. For example; the Church teaches that capital punishment is fine; but recent popes have been vocal against it. We are not always bound to believe what a Pope says. The Church Fathers who were direct disciples of the Apostles quoted from the Book of Enoch many times. It’s quoted right in Jude. Look at it if you don’t believe me. Enoch was very popular in early Christianity; and if the Church Fathrrs believed there were seven archangels; that is strong enough evidence for me. I only acknowledge that there’s three mentioned in our Bible but that does not mean there aren’t more.

Why are you talking about capital punishment in a thread about Archangels. Please stick to the topic.
The Church recognises only three archangels. I side with the Church and not your opinion.

Yah. The people just sided with the Sanhedrin as well on Good Friday. That’s like saying I am not capable of making a thought. You can play puppet if you like but I will think critically. And I’ll confer to anything I want to make a point. Tired of you asking me why I’m talking about stuff when everyone else does the same thing.

Are you saying you also question some teachings of the Church which you are obligated to accept?

You could also study the Book of Revelations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.