Archbishop Chaput: divorced/remarried must live as brother and sister to receive Communion [CC]

In new guidelines for the Philadelphia archdiocese, Archbishop Charles Chaput has confirmed the traditional Church teaching that Catholics who are divorced and remarried may receive the Eucharist only if they renounce sexual activity.

More…

Very clearly laid out and straightforward guidelines, at least as how they are summarized in this article. It will be interesting to see how similar or how different other bishops’ guidelines for implementing Amoris Laetitia are, within the US but also in other countries. Without naming names, I can imagine several other bishops taking a decidedly different (and perhaps completely opposite) approach from what Archbishop Chaput is implementing in Philadelphia…

May God Bless my Archbishop!

He is my hero! :yyeess::knight2:

Good for him! :thumbsup:

No. Not good for him. He is a servant. Good for the glory of God. And good for all those who will be saved by the Bishop’s reaffirmation of Church teaching.

I really don’t understand how or why this is news. This is just a statement of how things have been for hundreds of years. What’s the big deal?

I read the article on Philly.com, and I was floored at the absolute vitriolic hatred which was being spewed by many posters in the comment section. I don’t understand this ast all, either…but I suppose it’s because the media is reporting on this story as if it stems from a major change in church teaching, which, of course, it does not.

I’m also in the Philadelphia area.

I agree - for all the effort they went through at the synod for two years in a row, it doesn’t seem that much new really came of it. If this is the end result of the synod (at least for Philadelphia) they could have saved themselves the trouble. This is absolutely no different than things were before. Nothing groundbreaking here - just the Archbishop restating Church doctrine.

I didn’t read Philly.com but it was front page news in the Philadelphia Inquirer

The comment sections about the Catholic Church are always filled with anti-Catholic hate in the secular sites. :frowning:

I think the main reason it’s news is because Archbishop Chaput is also the head of the USCCB Bishop’s committee on implementing Amoris Laetitia.

So it should be an indication regarding how other dioceses SHOULD be implementing it.

God Bless

Absolutely and good for his flock. It’s good for him just as it won’t be good for those who do not uphold the teachings of Jesus and His Church such as liberals and dissenters. For as St. Paul wrote to Timothy…

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully.

2 Timothy 4:3-5

Not so:

[CNA]

Yes, but that’s not what I meant. I said an indication of what SHOULD happen, NOT want will happen. The USCCB cannot force the Bishops to do anything. Even if Bishops agree to follow a USCCB recommendation, they can change their mind.

So the good Archbishop cannot force any bishop to follow his lead, not even the other diocesan Bishops in his own Providence of Philadelphia

God Bless

The committee is not issuing recommendations. It is a fact-finding committee, to find out what other bishops are doing in the US. It is not charged with the “implementation of Amoris Laetitia”.

It is charged with the reporting on how A.L is being implemented, and as such Phil is correct that is the “committee on implementing Amoris Laetitia”.

I don’t think anyone here expects the committee to actually do the implementation

Philadelphians being Philadelphians.

cnsblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/the-teaching-authority-of-amoris-laetitia/

I was very happy to see Cardinal Schonborn’s comments about the document in this interview. Very different from that of Ab Chaput and, in my humble opinion, more in line with the magisterial teaching that Pope Francis lays out in Amoris Laetitia.

When I lived in Denver Archbishop Chaput kicked a young child out of a grade school because his parents were an openly gay couple. I couldn’t believe it then, but I see that same off putting rigidity in his ‘norms’ for implementing AL.

I never made such claims.

He can’t be re-assigned fast enough. Think the pope had him squarely in mind when he made his comments about “conservative” elements in the Church.

Let’s tell everyone they’re too sinful to even bother showing up at Church, that should reverse the devastating demographic trends that are undeniably in front of us!

Brilliant.

He actually did a very “liberal” and evangelical thing when I was in college. He put himself in the hot seat and publicly invited anyone to ask him questions. This event was advertised in our plaza and dining areas. On a college campus. It was in a Church no less.

He did that in Philly 1.5 - 2 years ago. He gave a state of the archdiocese and then opened the floor to any/all questions

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.