Archbishop Kurtz on synod and next steps

George Cardinal Pell calls the proposal to administer Communion to divorced & remarried Catholics a “stalking horse” to prepare the way for Church recognition of gay “marriage.” Apparently Lorenzo Cardinal Baldisseri has released draft summaries of his own making, and the attendees were incensed at the General Secretary of the Synod reshaping their statements and recommendations. Cardinal Baldisseri was ordained on June 29, 1963. By purest coincidence, I’m sure, June 29, 1963 happens to coincide with the date that Father Malachi Martin swore was the investment of Lucifer in the Vatican in The Keys of This Blood.

lifesitenews.com/news/bishops-revolt-against-synod-manipulation-only-3-in-ten-support-kasper-prop

May I note how sketchy Catholic media coverage has been on the Synod? Following on Catholic radio, the Synod was proposed to explore measures on how to strengthen the family. Months before it was convened, one prominent organizer said Pope Francis was invited but had not for some months confirmed he would be present.

Then this pre-Synod Synod was reduced to three subjects: homosexual relations; divorced & remarrieds; and cohabiting couples. REALLY? THAT’S IT? THOSE ARE THE BIG PROBLEMS FOR “FAMILIES” IN THIS DAY AND AGE? WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. THE CORPORATE CULTURE IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAS, FOR DECADES, BEEN “WOMEN AND CHILDREN LAST” AND THIS SYNOD, BY WHATEVER MEANS, HAS ATTEMPTED TO SET THIS IN STONE AND INVITE APOSTASY. :cool:

So what are your ideas, Catholicistas, on what problems families face and what help the Church can give? :blush:

That’s a really ridiculous opinion.

Here’s an interview with George Cardinal Pell RE: Synod shenanigans.

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1404281.htm

We need to stay focussed on the central theme of the synod - the family.

In an age of increasing dysfunction and breakdown of the family - an age in which people long for the love and stability which family used to provide - we should use home and The Family more often as a starting point for evangelism to help underpin The Gospel’s transcendent message.

A great letter if you have time to read it… mediablog.catholic.org.au/?p=2003

Note Bishop Prowse offering the great suggestion to use The Family as a Christian evangelical “door opener”.
**PENTECOST PASTORAL LETTER 2013 A PERMANENT NAZARETH:**Bishop Christopher Prowse Catholic Bishop of Sale. (Now Archbishop of Canberra)

Evangelisation In Challenging Times
The first area of priority pertains to the transmission of our Catholic faith in challenging times. Behind so many collated responses (published in Catholic Life, July 2011, December 2011) were pastoral suggestions based on stimulating a fresh outpouring of missionary zeal in the diocese.

Home. Bethlehem. Nazareth. Family.

Ok, we will see what happens when more African bishops are added to the voting pool.

And people tell me the Church doesn’t need to change language. :shrug:

It is a true statement. Why should the Church shy away from true statements?

Who are you referring to as “his”? If the Pope makes the necessary changes to Church documents, such as canon law, that will become the authoritative word of the Church. The synod documents are not legislative ones. The votes that happen only affect what gets *published *as the results of the synod. (although in this case, even that was overridden) They do not bind anyone, let alone the Pope.

Because even if it’s a true statement sometimes people aren’t prepared for it. Cold, hard truth isn’t always the virtue people imagine it to be. Sometimes it can be destructive.

And yet Christ Himself used the cold, hard truth when talking with people.

You’re not Christ and neither am I. Once we have the holiness and discernment to know when the cold hard truth is beneficial then we can use it. Until then…well.

Just because we are not Christ doesn’t mean that we should not strive to be more like Him or to follow His perfect example.

Strive all you can but be humble enough to recognize you don’t have the discernment Christ has. Misdirected zeal is dangerous.

Pope Francis. When others were saying only 1 vote counts I figured they meant his. And One Point said that 1 vote could be meaningless in the long run. So what I mean is lets say even if the bishops fail again next yr to agree (or for that matter even if 2/3 do agree on non-legislative non-binding recommendations). If the Holy Father nevertheless on his own recommends changing some things… as just a for instance in some cases to allow the Eucharist to the remarried… will any such changes he recommends be binding? One Point said “as long as we not talking definition ex cathedra even that one vote may ultimately be meaningless”.

Amen. As you said, it can be destructive.

Its an orthodox one.

Yes but we’re not going to attain the perfection He had on this earth because we are not without sin. And Christ clearly addressed the issue of those without sin casting stones.

Besides I believe Christ was warmer than he was colder with people. I would be leery with harsh, hard, cold language when talking with people. Harshness that could even be destructive in that it can be very hurtful to the recipient and turn them off, turn them further away… just because Christ Himself turned over some money tables for instance.

But who. actually. does. that? What priest do you know or have you heard of who stands outside of gay bars and screams Catechism quotes as people leave?

I mean seriously. I just don’t get it. It seems we’re talking more here about theory and hypothetical woulda shouldas than anything. I just don’t hear “harsh, hard, cold language” coming out of any priest or prelate’s mouth. For that matter, as I’ve already stated, I’ve never heard any words on Christian sexual ethics in a Catholic church ever. It’s not that what you’re saying isn’t true, I’m not complaining about that, I’m saying that these situations are so rare as to be nonexistent, so why talk about them as if they happen every day?

The idea that allowing some remarried to Communion is a “stalking horse” to recognition of gay marriage is the teaching of the Catholic Church?

They may not happen everyday but without going into details, I’ve left a parish over a priest’s tone. I don’t even always find the tone on CAF helpful.

Well I don’t always find the tone on CAF helpful either but I don’t really care that much. It’s really not bad at all, it is very PG here.

I will not discredit what you say about this priest because I have no idea.

Heresy begets heresy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.