Archbishop Kurtz on the Synod: 'Mercy Without Truth Is Not Mercy'

ncregister.com/daily-news/archbishop-kurtz-on-the-synod-mercy-without-truth-is-not-mercy/

**Archbishop Kurtz on the Synod: ‘Mercy Without Truth Is Not Mercy’ **

The president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops discusses key aspects of the just-concluded Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family.

by EDWARD PENTIN 10/21/2014

Archbishop Joseph Kurtz, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, was one of the 191 synod fathers that took part in the third Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family, which concluded Oct. 19.

In this Oct. 16 interview with the Register, as the synod was drawing to a close, Archbishop Kurtz reflected on how the synod had proceeded. Among the topics he discusses are the controversial interim report (which was superseded by the final report Oct. 18), the importance of pastoral language, and the debate over doctrine and pastoral practice…

But doesn’t loving also mean telling them the truth, for example telling someone they might be living in mortal sin and explaining the law of gradualism which, as I understand it, means making a break with sin, and then gradually working towards holiness?

It does, and you’re absolutely right. I guess the best place that I saw, where we took it up, was to make sure we don’t have any false divide between mercy and truth. They are one.

In other words, mercy is the best path to truth and mercy without truth is not mercy. There has been great discussion and even some amendments that have talked about that importance.

A lot has been said about doctrine and that it won’t be changed, but that it is possible to change pastoral practice. Cardinal Raymond Burke says it’s a false dichotomy, you cannot have one without the other, and practice must serve doctrine. What’s your view on this?

I mention this [in my blog], and most people recall it, which is: How we pray and what we believe are integrally connected, and also true is what we believe and how we provide pastoral practice is fully connected.

If there is not integrity in how we pray, how we worship, what we believe and how we provide pastoral practice, it will break down. What I have called for, in any amendments that I was able to provide, was to make sure that any creative pastoral practice being considered would be firmly grounded in good solid theology.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mercy without truth is not mercy - anyone who follows Jesus should have no question about this.

Your subject line was a telling truncation of the whole sentence spoken by the Archbishop.

In fact it read… “…mercy is the best path to truth and mercy without truth is not mercy.”

Yeah I was about to say truth without mercy is not truth. :slight_smile:

My subject line? I didn’t pick the title of the article :confused:

Don’t you think it was a devious misrepresentation of the Archbishops thoughts? I think you should start reading some more measured/less devious journalists.

WUT???
Devious misrtepresentation??? :confused:

What are you talking about???

The words… "In other words, mercy is the best path to truth and mercy without truth is not mercy." are included right there in McCall1981’s post above. Thats not quote-mining.

"In other words, mercy is the best path to truth and mercy without truth is not mercy."

Why do you think the headline cuts up the sentence to read as if the Archbishop says merely “mercy without truth is not mercy”? Why do you think they took a statement that espoused balance and deleted one whole half of it to represent the Archbishops view?

Whats the difference?

I think “X” and I think “Y”.

If someone selectively reports me as thinking “X” - thats TRUE!
X - mercy is the best path to truth

If someone selectively reports me as thinking “Y” - thats TRUE!
Y - mercy without truth is not mercy

Really???:confused: “Devious misrepresentation” :confused:

With all due respect, first of all, I find your post lacking in charity, regarding McCall, the journalist (a practicing Catholic) & the news source. The news source is a service of EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network, Mother Angelica’s Catholic station) An excellent Catholic news source.

And McCall, did not pick the title of the article.

I do not agree with your “thinking”…

Peace:)

I have a strong feeling that you haven’t actually read the article to correctly glean the gist that the Archbishop was conveying.

The journalist, who has proved to be as slippery as an eel, was hell bent on misrepresentation (which seems to be his shtick) asks the following…

“But doesn’t loving also mean telling them the truth? For example, telling someone they might be living in mortal sin and explaining the law of gradualism, which, as I understand it, means making a break with sin and then gradually working towards holiness.”

To which the Archbishop replies…

“It does, and you’re absolutely right. I guess the best place that I saw, where we took it up, was to make sure we don’t have any false divide between mercy and truth. They are one. In other words, **mercy is the best path to truth, and mercy without truth is not mercy. **There has been great discussion and even some amendments that have talked about that importance.”

The whole emphasis of the comment was on not dividing the merits of each element. They do not exist without each other. The Archbishop made the statement in one sentence to stress that indivisibility.

The headline was an egregious failure of integrity.

The headline is representational of something EWTN’s demographic can rally around.

Another question to ask: if mercy and truth are indivisible as the Archbishop suggests, why are they two words describing two different things?

Saying they are the “same” creates a linguistically false equivalence, so that anyone who is fails to condemn homosexuality or homosexual marriage, is failing to be merciful. But the archbishop doesn’t get to redefine mercy according to the culture war of the moment.

Mercy: a : compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one’s power; also: lenient or compassionate treatment 2a : a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion b: a fortunate circumstance 3: compassionate treatment of those in distress.

Truth: a archaic : fidelity, constancy
b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance
2 a (1) : the state of being the case : fact (2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality
b : a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true
c : the body of true statements and propositions
3a : the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality
b chiefly British : true 2
c : fidelity to an original or to a standard
4 capitalized Christian Science : god

They are indeed two different things, although the Archbishop’s point sounds nice to people who want to withhold mercy until they are adequately satisfied that their understanding of the truth has prevailed.

The headline is misleading, but of course that is not the OP’s fault. I know many here like the Register, but (like most news sites) the Register has a very distinct point of view that colors its reporting. I for one have not forgotten the Marcial Maciel days.

No it isnt. Clear thinkers dont read “stuff” into a plain sentence which simply isnt there.
Do they?

Fair minded editors don’t cut “stuff” out of a plain sentence to slant a headline’s meaning, do they?

It’s like the headline…

**“Catholics say: “God is three”!!!” **

and all the donkeys start running around saying oh my, :eek: Catholics say there are three Gods!! Heresy! Smoke of satan! False prophets! :eek:

Catholics actually say “God is three and God is one”. But oh well. The headline wasn’t quote mining at all was it.

Fair minded editors don’t cut “stuff” out of a plain sentence to slant a headline’s meaning, do they?
[/quote]

There is no slant.

If the headline had read…“Mercy is the best path to truth”, would you equally complain about there being some hidden meaning or slant?

The only problem here is for folk who cant think CLEARLY and/or folk who mistakenly believe that everything in a newspaper apart from
The Headline
…is redundant

If you read the article it makes it perfectly clear that The Archbishop thinks;

• mercy is the best path to truth
    AND
  • mercy without truth is not mercy

These are stand alone (abstract) assertions and neither depends on the other for meaning.

If you give the transcript a genuinely honest reading, you will have to admit that the Archbishop in responding to the intense insistence of the journalists position of telling people they are sinners first, (which is the known traditionalist agenda)… is transcending any factional agendas with a statement regarding the communion of mercy and truth. It is the way of Christ to transcend the tricksters.

The headline does its typical best to subvert the true unitive message in order to claim the Archbishop as theirs. If it wasn’t for his brand of divisive journalism, no one would have gone nuclear on Cardinal Kasper for being a racist either.

I like to think of myself as honest. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.