Archbishop of Canterbury: Anglicans must have space for deep disagreement' [CC]

Amid division within the Anglican Communion over homosexuality and women’s ordination, Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury invited the 37 Anglican primates to a January meeting to …

More…

I think this is simple… conservative Anglicans should reunite with Rome.

Those are wise words! There is no Anglican Pope and Jesus does want unity. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is in January.
They are probably waiting and watching what happens with the Family Synod here also before their meeting

Some have. Others haven’t.

GKC, I follow your posts a good bit as a fellow anglican, because I think you say a lot of good things. However, I’ve never seen your objections to Catholicism. With that said, out of pure curiosity, what are they? If you don’t mind me asking.

Seems like the most logical solution

Common ones. Universal ordinary authority of the Pope, personal charism of infallibility, as specifically defined, maybe a spot or two in history.

I don’t enter into discussions on those things, though. I like the RCC. Got family in it.Have helped Anglicans make their way to it.

OTOH, I do blather on about other things a lot, in areas in which I am interested and well read.

Thanks for the kind judgement.

I would think they would want to work towards “agreement”. They have enough disagreement already. God Bless, Memaw

From the Article:

“A 21st-century Anglican family must have space for deep disagreement, and even mutual criticism, so long as we are faithful to the revelation of Jesus Christ, together,” he added. “We have no Anglican pope.”

They could really use an Anglican pope…:o

I volunteered.

:wink:

Might should have asked what it paid, first.

Hmmm…but you may be labeled anti-Christ by Lutherans if you become a Pope…:D:p

I’ll risk it. If the pay is good enough.

I don’t think so.

No one will agree totally but the type of division that exists in anglicanism doesn’t seem healthy. Deep division will lead to schism eventually.

This solution ignores the biggest barrier to Anglicans (or anyone) coming in - the lives of the Catholics they know.

How many of us are really living out the Sermon on the Mount, or following the advice given to, but ignored by, the Rich Young Man?
How many of us are rejecting potential sources of temptations to impurity in the media, or internet?
How many of us avoid excess eating and drinking?
How many of us let people around us know that abortion, contraception and homosexual acts are wrong (but are still loving to those who do those things?)

I bet the answer most Anglicans would give is that some Catholics they know are like that, but not most of them.

Yep.

I don’t find this to be the case. But I hang out with mostly Anglicans like myself. Amongst the motleydom, perhaps there is a strain that is mostly concerned by some perceived hypocrisy, rather than doctrinal issues, but I rarely hear it. I don’t think it’s an issue of how well you follow the Church, but more where you follow the Church.

Personal, unsubstantiated opinion, here.

If you would agree to combine the job with that of ++Cantuar (at an appropriate additional hourly rate, of course) we could throw in a halfway decent palace — with a splendid library attached.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.