Archbishop of Dublin Celebrates Old Latin Mass

Archbishop Martin Celebrates Tridentine Mass

in St. Audoen’s Church, Dublin, on Sunday 27th November, 2005

indigo.ie/~colmgren/latsoc/

Deo Gratias!

This is wonderful!:amen: Has His Grace done this before, and if so, how often? Does His Grace plan to celebrate the Tridentine Mass in the future? How often?

Glad to see that Ireland still has the faith.

Who is Saint Audoen?

Question: are head coverings still required for women when they attend TLM?

Addendum: Is that lady in the first picture of your second post, who is in the middle, receiving, supposed to be wearing one?

I know this sounds terribly like nitpicking, but… I’m curious and I can’t not ask it now that it popped into my head.

It’s interesting to see a high ranking prelate celebrating the Mass, though.

[quote=RobNY]Question: are head coverings still required for women when they attend TLM?

Addendum: Is that lady in the first picture of your second post, who is in the middle, receiving, supposed to be wearing one?

I know this sounds terribly like nitpicking, but… I’m curious and I can’t not ask it now that it popped into my head.

It’s interesting to see a high ranking prelate celebrating the Mass, though.
[/quote]

The indult is for Mass according to 1962 norms, which I would presume include the canon law of the time as well. So, yes, I believe women are required to wear head coverings. However, only about half of the women I’ve seen at indult Masses or in photographs of them have had their heads covered. I’m not sure that the priests who celebrate make a big deal out of it, especially because some of those visiting may be unaware of the practice.

Maybe now, Ireland will begin to return to the Faith?

[quote=GoLatin]Who is Saint Audoen?
[/quote]

That’s a old spelling of St. Aidan

newadvent.org/cathen/01233d.htm

PRAISE THE LORD! LAUDETUR IESUS CHRISTUS! GLORIA DEO! DEO GRATIAS!

With every Bishop who offers the TLM there is renewed hope that the Traditional Latin Mass may be completely freed from its chains.

I think he might celebrate Mass in the old rite every year from now on.

I wish I could see the altar better, it appears that there is only 1 small altar card on the Epistle side of the Altar which makes we wonder if it was a TLM or a NO Mass performed Ad Orientem. Please tell me you attended OMI and know for sure it was indeed the TLM. There are so many more prayers in the TLM that the lack of altar cards is just surprising.

I have a nitpick too. What was the function of the guy wearing a cope? A cope is not a vestment one wears during Mass. If he was the subdeacon, he should have been wearing a tunicle, as the apparent deacon was apparently wearing a dalmatic.

[quote=PreVatII]Maybe now, Ireland will begin to return to the Faith?
[/quote]

Pax vobiscum!

Return to the faith? Ireland has always been Catholic. It’s one of the only countries in Europe where abortion is still illegal.

In Christ,
Rand

The fellow in the cope was in the role of the Assistant Priest. The cope is the normal vestment for that role. The deacon and subdeacon were wearing dalmatic and tunicle, respectively.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Pax vobiscum!

Return to the faith? Ireland has always been Catholic. It’s one of the only countries in Europe where abortion is still illegal.

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

Ah, but you see, Rand, for some on these forums, it ISN’T the real, true faith if the Mass celebrated is the Pauline Rite. If it’s the TLM, THEN it’s the Faith. If it’s the Pauline Mass, it’s not the faith. :rolleyes:

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Pax vobiscum!

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

The practice of the Catholic Faith has been on the decline in Ireland.

A country that once exported clergy to the whole world will be ordaining 9 for the whole country this year.

And I say that with great sadness, as I am an Irishman.

[quote=Brendan]The practice of the Catholic Faith has been on the decline in Ireland.

A country that once exported clergy to the whole world will be ordaining 9 for the whole country this year.

And I say that with great sadness, as I am an Irishman.
[/quote]

Well maybe it’s time the rest of the world sent some back to us, I say that with sadness too.
Heard years ago that God promised Saint Patrick that Ireland wouldn’t lose the faith, but that don’t mean it won’t be battered and bruised.

[quote=AlexB]The fellow in the cope was in the role of the Assistant Priest. The cope is the normal vestment for that role. The deacon and subdeacon were wearing dalmatic and tunicle, respectively.
[/quote]

Thanks. I did notice that there were two other vested asssitants there, but frankly, I have never heard of an assistant priest. You know, I had very limited experience of a solemn or pontifical Mass when I was very young. In the parishes I belonged to at that time, even if there were multiple priests staffing and it was a great feast, their idea of demitigation was to have three altar boys instead of two. The first Mass I ever attended on an elevated level was the cardinalatial Mass in which the new church of my parish of upbringing was dedicated, and that was already Novus Ordo (1968), though it probably remains the finest ceremony I have ever seen because our savvy cardinal dictated exactly how everything would be done and brought along his own entourage to make sure it happened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.