Archbishop of San Francisco under fire

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14243683-new-archbishop-in-gay-friendly-bay-area-strongly-opposes-same-sex-marriage?lite

In this news article, a former Catholic leader attacks Archbishop Cordileone of San Francisco, saying that, “He can continue to be the aggressive, outspoken leader of the American Catholic bishops in their effort to prevent civil gay marriage, or he can be the shepherd of his flock. He can’t be both, and if he tries, he will fail.”

I don’t see where the two missions are mutually incompatible. If his flock is the Roman Catholics of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, is he expected to shepherd his flock toward denial of the Sacrament of Marriage between a man and a woman?

Note how the biased NBC News writer throws in a gratuitous mention of the Archbishop’s DUI arrest. Regettable, certainly, and beautifully, contritely admitted by the Archbishop- but in no way relevant to the topic of the article. It seems to be a clear attempt to defame the Archbishop and impugn his moral character…perhaps to cast doubt on the validity of his position on homosexual “marriage.”

God bless Pope Benedict XVI in his wise appointments of the Archbishops of San Francisco and Los Angeles. Long may he reign!

It’s almost comical, how a bunch of sodomites are trying to call out someone for drinking. They drink too, and they practice sodomy.

Methinks they have a plank in their eyes, whereas the eye of the freshly minted Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone has a speck in it.

Anyways, at least this article wasn’t as bad as the Washington Times I read. They literally quoted a chant from that group of “activist gay males dressed as nuns” that are only mentioned at the bottom of this one. And right after they quote them they start talking about Pope Benedict XVI.

Can you believe that? You go from sodomites cross-dressing as nuns to the Pope in 1 sentence. As if the first group’s opinion counted for anything in the Catholic Church.

The media tries to reduce religion to the realm of politics… where it can meddle and peddle its propaganda. The media can’t define what a Sacrament is, or administer it for that matter. The media can’t define what a Catholic is. So, instead they act like all people who vote have a say in the Catholic Church.

The easiest way to see what the media is doing here is to examine their failure to understand Christian language. A shepherd leads his flock. And yet this article and others are saying that the flock should lead the shepherd. The city of San Francisco is very gay friendly… thus the Archbishop needs to take a cue from them and change his opinion.

No. He is the Shepherd. We agree at least on that. They are the sheep. He has a staff. He’s the one in charge. His rod and staff comfort the people and guide them. Not the other way around.

My reaction:
You mad, homosexualists and enablers?

The topic of the article was the Archbishop upon the occasion of his installation ceremony. During that ceremony he delivered a sermon in which he addressed his DUI arrest of two weeks ago. If I were Catholic I’d want to know what he said in his sermon about his arrest.

I haven’t found a transcript of his homily, but a video of it is here:
vimeo.com/50795450#

h/t Whispers in the Loggia

An unusual incident took place just prior to the ceremony. Marc Andrus, Bishop of California in The Episcopal Church, was denied a seat at the installation ceremony, despite his invitation.
bishopmarc.typepad.com/blog/2012/10/a-post-to-clarify-my-experience-at-the-installation-of-archbishop-cordileone-at-st-marys-cathedral-san-francisco-i-was-dr.html

The archdiocese has issued a clarification

San Francisco Archdiocese spokesman George Wesolek chalked it up to a misunderstanding. Andrus had arrived late and missed the procession of interfaith clergy who were to be seated up front. Church staff were looking for an opportunity to bring the bishop in without disrupting the service, according to Wesolek. When they went to retrieve him, he had already left.

“We had no intention of excluding him at all,” Wesolek said. “If he felt like because of the wait that was insulting to him, we certainly will apologize.”

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hSYbcPTEvzbqcTRl4-hbg9gTOjSQ?docId=66e0698cb6f0482ebf23b2bb65d21303

h/t Whispers in the Loggia

I was going by the OP’s linked article.

Following his installation as the religious leader of more than 500,000 Catholics in the largely gay-friendly Bay Area, Cordileone, 56, delivered a sermon and spoke about his recent arrest after failing a sobriety test at a police checkpoint.

Tune in at the 2:55 mark of the video I linked to.

My browser throws up on vimeo videos. Does he mention his arrest?

Yes. Here is the the summary from the AP

“I know in my life God has always had a way of putting me in my place. I would say, though, that in the latest episode of my life God has outdone himself,” Cordileone said with a chuckle as he delivered his first homily as archbishop.

The 56-year-old priest, the second-youngest U.S. archbishop, went on to say he did not know “if it’s theologically correct to say God has a way of making himself known in this way,” and asked for the indulgence of other high-ranking church leaders in the audience.

The connection, he said, was that the compassion he was shown “in the wake of the regrettable mistake I made to drive after drinking” made him hopeful the Bay Area’s Catholic community has the tools it needs to be part of a broader rebuilding of the church.

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hSYbcPTEvzbqcTRl4-hbg9gTOjSQ?docId=66e0698cb6f0482ebf23b2bb65d21303

Thanks. I stand by my submission.

The point you made in that earlier submission was that it was reasonable for news coverage of the installation of Archbishop Cordileone to mention his recent arrest since he mentioned it in his homily.

I agree with you.

A friend sent me this story via e-mail. This is what appeared in his subject line.

Time for bishops to face the martyrdom that their “red” colors signify, I fear.

Obviously the unnamed author is biased. It must be a slow news day for them to print it.

You must understand that San Francisco is unlike anywhere else on earth.
The police don’t enforce state laws on prostitution. Public nudity is legal. Local celebrities include a group of transvestites who dress up as nuns. One of the big annual events is the Bay to Breakers which often includes naked participants. There’s a huge depraved Halloween ball every year that fills up the Cow Palace. There’s a street fair with a gay leather theme.The city council has adopted resolutions condemning the Catholic Church. Local heroes include the hippies. And so on.

Don’t believe me? Check out zombietime.com. But be warned - you will most certainly see some morally offensive images.

San Franciscans are so depraved and confused that they believe they are more enlightened and superior to those who cling to moral values that have existed across both cultures and centuries…

The Archbishop needs every prayer we can manage to send his way.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=9856162&postcount=37

An ‘interesting’ commentary.

Here is the link that contains the full text that the quote in the first post was taken from:

sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Our-ninth-archbishop-in-San-Francisco-3917863.php

I work for the Archdiocese as the social media person, and here is the complete text of the archbishops homily. dropbox.com/s/x3aenddqu98kgl3/Installation.Homily.doc

I was at the Installation, and the archbishop was less “joking” about the incident, as he was using it to show humility, and not make excuses for his admitted poor judgement. He was light hearted about it, and did draw a laugh, but he wasn’t making light of the issue of drunk driving. Earlier in the week he pleaded No Contest basically and the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor, but I think people are trying to blow this way out of proportion and use it as a mask to silence his outspokenness on the Church’s social teaching.

As far as the incident with bishop Andrus, it was an honest mistake with no ill will intended. Superficially because of the letter that Andrus released earlier in the week, it appears to be a snub, but it really wasn’t, but this was the response I was approved to provide on our FB Page.

“First, we apologize to Bishop Andrus, and meant no disrespect to him or the Episcopal Church. He was an invited guest to the Installation, and we regret any misunderstandings that occurred. Bishop Andrus was part of the Interfaith Procession, which had been seated as one of the first groups invited to the Installation near the front of Cathedral. He was brought into a waiting area, and the Cathedral Staff were waiting for the best moment to usher him into his assigned seating without disrupting the proceedings. However when the staff returned to bring Bishop Andrus to his seat, as indicated in his blog, the Bishop had already left. Again we sincerely offer our apology to Bishop Andrus for this unfortunate incident, and look forward to working him, and with the rest of the ecumenical interfaith community in helping to re-build and restore the House of God”

Wow, they practice sodomy. What a horrible thing to do! Drinking and driving is extremely irresponsible and dangerous. Also, the archbishop should be a moral authority of sorts.

History doesn’t make a moral system right. If it did, slavery would be moral.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.