Archbishop Romero Beatification Set for May 23

ncregister.com/daily-news/archbishop-romero-beatification-set-for-may-23

Here is an article by National Catholic Reporter

ncronline.org/news/global/archbishop-oscar-romero-el-salvadors-most-trusted-news-source

This call for sainthood has been going on even though his cause has been looked at before but never pushed forth. Now they are saying all the news sources got it wrong at the time.

He really didn’t favor liberation theology or finally take a stance for the leftist guerrillas even though in the end he spoke against the government which claimed responsibility for his assassination.

I cried when this happened. A year before his death, I became familiar with his very powerful writings, homilies, and defending the teachings of the Catholic Church. Will continue to follow this path to his sainthood.

I just read a small biography about him. He was very brave. Those were dangerous times in El Salvador. Other priests and nuns lost their lives in those years. Archbishop Romero was a wonderful servant of the Church in El Salvador and a servant for the poor.

I am not saying that he wasn’t a servant of the poor and a good archbishop in many ways but did he get brought into liberation theology and siding with the maxist guerillas who were at war with the government.

According to the movie, at first he was neutral but as time passed, he made political speeches opposing the government and essentially because of this he was executed. His execution had nothing to do with his faith as it had to his outright speaking from the pulpit against the ruling government. It was a political assassination.

This government lasted until 2009 over 30 years.

From the Crux

Pope declares Oscar Romero, hero to liberation theology, a martyr

A hero to the progressive liberation theology movement in Latin America, which sought to place the Catholic Church on the side of the poor in struggles for social justice, Romero was shot to death in 1980 while saying Mass.

cruxnow.com/church/2015/02/03/pope-declares-oscar-romero-hero-to-liberation-theology-a-martyr/

From the book Archbishop Romero - Martyr of Salvador by Placido Erdozain:

In his last two pastotal letters he had explained the right that a people has to insurrection and under what conditions.

He wrote: Christians are not afraid of combat; they know how to fight, but they prefer the language of peace. However, when a dictator seriously violates human rights and attacks the common good of the nation, when it becomes unbearable and closes all channels of dialogue, of understanding, of rationality - when this happens, the church speaks of the legitimate right of insurrectional violence.

Archbishop Romero felt Marxism was incompatible to the Christian faith. He wrote 4 pastoral letters. I don’t know if you can find them online. I did not get the feeling he supported liberation theology. There were 14 Catholic families that held the wealth and power in El Salvador.They were against the Church wanting to help the people of El Salvador fight for their human rights.

Who was the dictator? This government that remained in power for 30 years until 2009 was the dictator?. Are we to believe that the people had no power to oust them all that time?

From wikipedia…

Miguel d’Escoto, a Maryknoll priest from Nicaragua, was sanctioned with an a divinis suspension from his public functions in 1984 by Pope John Paul II, for political activity in the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua. Pope Francis lifted the suspension in August, 2014, in response to a request by d’Escoto [51]

From wikipedia…

According to Jesus Delgado, his biographer and Postulator of his Cause, Oscar Romero agreed with the Catholic vision of Liberation Theology and not with the Marxist vision: “A journalist once asked him: ‘Do you agree with Liberation Theology’ And Romero answered: “Yes, of course. However, there are two theologies of liberation. One is that which sees liberation only as material liberation. The other is that of Paul VI. I am with Paul VI.”

What is the catholic vision of Liberation Theology?

“The arrival of Pope John Paul II was a step backward for El Salvador,” said Ventura, who has married and now practices his own, unsanctioned brand of Catholicism as a pastor in poor eastern El Salvador. “He imposed the authoritarian model on the Latin American church and didn’t have an open vision.”…

Although the late pope promoted freedoms and denounced war and globalization, he clamped down on a movement called “liberation theology” — and in so doing alienated Catholics who wanted the church to take a more active role in “liberating” the poor from misery and oppression.

latimes.com/la-fg-libtheology10apr10-story.html#page=2

So was Pope John Paul II wrong?

There were 30 year dictators ousted from power in the Middle East within the last couple of years. That is why they are called dictators.
Look at Fidel Castro and how long he was in power. Now it is his brother.

But this is a democratic country and these were not dictators. They have free elections in El Salvador.

Was Pope John Paul II wrong to silence Braziillan priest Leonardo Boff for his liberation theology views and books?. He has since left the church but still writes.

Guess you need to read more about it. I am not an expert on life in El Salvador.

Neither am I but I do know that most Latin America countries have free elections. Pope John Paul spent a great deal of time trying to oust liberation theology from Latin America but did not succeed as the media is reporting a re-emergence.

Why do I alone need to read more on it?

If the church is going to bestow sainthood on a person, someone we all can venerate, shouldn’t we all wonder what makes him a saint?

When we start discussing “human rights” instead of God given rights, we loose sight of to whom we owe allegiance. The marxists use human rigjts as a rallying cry to further agendas. All progressives hide their ulterior motives behind a campaign for human rights. All “Rights” come from God, and belong to Him just as we do. St. Matthew ch.25 clearly teaches us what Christ expects Christians to do for one another. I do not see the word “rights” anywhere. Getting caught up in the world and it’s intrigue leads one away from God. Our Bishops and Priests would do well to stick with teaching the faith in fulness, and let the world deal with itself. A fully informed Catholic will know how to respond to the world.

Oscar Romero did NOT support Liberation Theology in the least.

Here is an article on him from Our Sunday Visitor, which I would definitely trust more than the National Catholic Reporter.

osv.com/Article/TabId/493/ArtMID/13569/ArticleID/17106/The-martyrdom-of-Archbishop-Oscar-Romero.aspx

His positions on church doctrine were quite conservative. He was also a supporter of Opus Dei in El Salvador.

Speaking out against a right wing government commiting human rights violations doesn’t make you a leftist any more than condemning an oppressive leftist government makes you a rightist.

The Catholic Church condemned the Apartheid government in my native South Africa and that none of the bishops who were in office in South Africa at the time could be categorized as leftist or even remotely sympathetic to Marxism.

Thank you. I did not believe he supported liberation theology either.
He was a conservative as you said.

I am certainly not an expert on El Salvador, but when speaking of Central America and its sometimes bloody history, I would tend to qualify what “free” means in the setting of a country where rightist death squads connected to the government routinely “disappear” people. “Elections,” maybe, but a Vermont town meeting it ain’t.

Many innocent people were killed or “disappeared” during the 70’s and 80’s in El Salvador. It was very dangerous. I suggest the OP read up more on the history of El Salvador during those years and read of the violence that occurred. Several priests were killed and the brutal murder of the 3 nuns brought international attention to what was happening.

Saint Oscare Romero, pray for us.

San Oscar, ruega por nosotros.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.