Archdiocese knew of priest's sexual misbehavior, yet kept him in ministry

minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2013/09/clergy-abuse/

Heart-breaking and maddening. I wish the Church could figure out a better way to deal with such things. I think there is still confusion about what is simply sinful and not a violation of law, and when law enforcement should be immediately involved. And I also think that it is getting increasingly difficult to recruit new priests, so that sometimes there are people left in place in error. Just my two cents. Praying for everyone involved.

This is heartbreaking and maddening.We must continue to pray for our priests daily.ThevEvil One is attacking full force,knowing that if priests are destroyed through this evil,priestly vocations will diminish,therefore,no Eucharist.::frowning:

Very disappointing. This creates a crisis of faith for me at times… where is God in this situation? To step in and help His Church? :frowning:

It’s not that. It’s priests acting in human error, but not being chastised for it by their superiors until it’s too late. There isn’t a good way to deal with these things yet.

I don’t understand how this can happen yet AGAIN…
Lord Have Mercy,
Mary.

Yes, I agree.

When will the old time priests (and government for that matter) realize that cover ups only make everything worse.

Even if you can successfully cover up 99 out of 100 incidents, the 1 that gets exposed is worse than if you confessed the 100 incidents in the first place.

I pray that the Pope may fix our Church.
Lord Jesus Christ, watch oer those who are leaders in Your Chruch. Keep them faithful to their vocation and to the proclamation of Your message. Strenghten them with the gifts of the Spirit and help them to serve Your people, especially the poor and lowly. Give them a vivid sense of Your presence in the world and a knowledge of how to show it to others.

Amen.

Almighty Father, grant to these servants of Yours the dignity of the priesthood. Renew within them the Spirit of holiness. As co-workers with the order of bishops may they be faithful to the ministry that they receive from You, Lord God, and be to others a model of right conduct.

May they be faithful in spreading the good news, so that the words of the Gospel may reach the ends of the earth, and the family of nations, made one in Christ, may become God’s one, holy people.

Amen.*

God is always with us. Those in charge are not acting according to His Will.

When we have holy hours of adoration why aren’t the churches packed?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::gopray::knight1:

IDK, maybe it is not coming across in the story linked, but as a for instance, under the section sub-titled “police investigation”, it states that the diocese didn’t inform police of the priest’s past sexual behavior. What, exactly, at that point was there to inform police about? Clumsy pick-up attempts? The 2004 incident was with adults, the priest he tried to solicit was also, presumably, an adult. It is unclear about the 2009 incident how old the others involved were, but it was around midnight, so perhaps an inference that it was older teens is not unwarranted? It might also help to know, once he asked the teen’s age, what the response was, as I think it is a very different analysis if the answer is 18 or 19 as opposed to 14. Cruising the park in 2006 - - was that area known for underage encounters? If not, again, not an indication, per se, of abuse of minors, and nothing, in fact, happened.

It appears, as reported, there was one incident of suspicious behavior, not specified, with minors.

That being said, the actual abuse is of course terrible, and he should never be around kids again, and laicized as well.

IMO the root cause of such cover-ups is homosexual priests in high places who have sympathy for other homosexual priests even when they are caught in malfeasance. And let’s be clear. The priest convicted of the abuse of the teens is a homosexual priest who also cruised bookstores and parks for young men and teen boys. It is time to sweep the homosexuals from all positions of leadership in the church. If not, then you can expect their disorder to play itself out on the hapless children of the parish.
It is possible to love the sinner in spite of his sin, but we do not have to put the sinner in a position of power in order to show them the love of God.

I will never understand why children are not protected and this is allowed to continue. It’s not like people are not aware that this type of evil is happening. Why are priest’s reputations more important than the innocence of young and teenage victims?
I was watching a documentary about another priest predator and the victim’s lawyer said something odd. He said that it was a part of canon law that a priest/bishop could lie in order to protect the Church from scandal. Does anyone know anything about that?

Put those homosexuals back in their place?

That’s how you sound to me, I dunno.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.