Archdiocese: No ice-bucket challenge for ALS Association

The Archdiocese of Cincinnati has asked the principals at its Catholic schools not to encourage students to raise money for the ALS Association as the ice-bucket challenge becomes an internet sensation.

The challenge itself is fine, said Dan Andriacco, spokesman for the Archdiocese.

The Archdiocese just doesn’t want fundraising to be sent to the association, which funds at least one study using embryonic stem cells, Andriacco said.

cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/08/20/ice-bucket-challenge-cincinnati-archdiocese/14342977/

The Church never misses and opportunity to take the fun out of something, does she? :frowning:

They never said you can’t do the challenge, they just said to send the money to a different organization that doesn’t support the destruction of human life.

Yeah, what killjoys! I mean, is there anything more fun than killing babies for medical research! What’s wrong with the Church!! :frowning: Don’t they know “fun” is justification enough for murder??? :confused: Come 'on, already! :shrug:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, my friends who have done the ice bucket challenge have been donating to the ALS cause via the Pope John Paul II Medical Research Institute, which doesn’t pay for embryonic stem cell research. Of course, the Church supports stem cell research, just not embryonic stem cell research which involves killing people.

I seriously doubt the ALS Association does ALL of its research off of embryonic stem cells.

Does it matter how much research involves that if some does? Substitute any other morally evil or reprehensible thing and see what happens.

I seriously doubt all their money funds ISIS…:rolleyes:

FWIW, I did find this:

In an email to Religion News Service, Carrie Munk, a spokeswoman for the ALS Association, said that the organization primarily funds adult stem cell research.

“Currently, The Association is funding one study using embryonic stem cells (ESC), and the stem cell line was established many years ago under ethical guidelines set by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS); this research is funded by one specific donor, who is committed to this area of research,” she said. “The project is in its final phase and will come to an end very soon.”

religionnews.com/2014/08/19/als-ice-bucket-challenge-fund-embryonic-stem-cell-research/

My point is that a donation the ALS Association is not necessarily nor should be construed as direct support of embryonic stem cell research.

This author found one study done by a group that used stem cells from an aborted fetus that the ALS Association gave money to.

lifenews.com/2014/08/15/attention-pro-lifers-be-careful-where-you-send-your-als-ice-bucket-challenge-donation/

Really, the main problem for me is that the child whose stem cells are being used couldn’t give consent to donate their body to science. The child wasn’t killed for research, he/she was aborted for other unknown reasons. The body was essentially donated by the mother. In my opinion it doesn’t encourage abortion since they only need one body and that body was already dead.

Personally I wouldn’t donate to ALS Association for this reason but I really don’t have any kind of a strong reaction against it.

This is from a study that labels the benefits of ESCR:

“Because embryos are kept in a permanent state of early development, they are ideal candidates for drug and medical testing. While they are still alive, without a host body in which they can develop, they will never become fully human. However, since they are alive, testing can be conducted in a variety of fashions. A scientist will be able to infect them with a disease and attempt to test various treatments. Advances in the research of cancer, spinal cord injuries, diabetes, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and schizophrenia can all benefit from this research. In addition, no human or animal testing needs to be conducted, which will save the lives of both. According to PETA, more than 70 million animals are killed, blinded or otherwise injured by medical testing each year. Embryonic stem cell research will help bring this number down.”

Life begins at conception, so these embryos are already human. The entire process of this doesn’t see the embryos as being human and claps itself on the back by saying “no human or animal testing needs to be conducted.” There have been no recorded cures using ESCR, but in the field of adult stem cell research there are many more advances. ASCR is supported by the Holy See because it doesn’t harm anyone, let alone kill them.

Even if advances have been made, couldn’t they have been done with
adult stem cell research? Haven’t far more advances been made with adult stem cell research than with embryonic stem cell research?

You can find these stories online of some people with treated with research done on embryonic stem cell but according to wikipedia:

There are currently no approved treatments using embryonic stem cells. The first human trial was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in January 2009.14] However, the human trial was not initiated until October 13, 2010 in Atlanta for spinal injury victims. On November 14, 2011 the company conducting the trial announced that it will discontinue further development of its stem cell programs.15]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell#Embryonic

adult stem cell research? Haven’t far more advances been made with adult stem cell research than with embryonic stem cell research?

You can find these stories online of some people with treated with research done on embryonic stem cell but according to wikipedia:

There are currently no approved treatments using embryonic stem cells. The first human trial was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in January 2009.14] However, the human trial was not initiated until October 13, 2010 in Atlanta for spinal injury victims. On November 14, 2011 the company conducting the trial announced that it will discontinue further development of its stem cell programs.15]

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell#Embryonic)

You can find these stories of some people with treated with research done on embryonic stem cell but according to wikipedia:

Doesn’t this really bring home the reality of just how uncomfortable Catholics are in America? I often feel this most viscerally on holy days or Good Friday, when the rest of the country goes on with its day as though it were nothing special or unique. But I feel it reading this story, too. It is easy to kind of slide into the flow of the culture, especially when you want to avoid being a party pooper, and that is probably the reason why too many laymen, priests, and bishops have failed to take up the cross of being a prophetic witness. But at some point you have to be comfortable enough in your own Catholic skin to be able to say, yeah, you know, you’re going to think we’re absolutely bonkers, but we don’t believe this or we do believe that and this is why. I suspect that in the coming years the tension between that call and the pull of placating the culture will grow even more.

I’m glad that at least this archdiocese is doing something unpopular because it is right.

That line of logic makes me think of the chocolate chip cookie story.

If I gave you some chocolate chip cookies and told you there was some dog poop mixed in, would you eat them? I mean they’re not ALL dog poop, right?

That’s why when I do the ice-bucket challenge (nominated twice now and waiting til the weekend), I’ll be donating to the Pope John Paul II Medical Research Institute because I’ll know for certain no babies were murdered no matter what the ‘ethical guidelines’ were.

saynsumthn.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/pro-lifers-take-part-in-ice-bucket-challenge-to-support-unborn-babies/

Pro-Life Ice Bucket Challenge

Christian Pro-Life Alternative to the Ice Bucket Challenge

Ice Bucket Challenge - Challenge ALS Association

Rachel’s Ice Bucket Challenge – Use a BIG bucket!! {Donate to JP2MRI}

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.