Archie Comics To Introduce Gay Character

Archie comics will introduce a gay character into the Archie comic series starting in September, 2010 according to the article.

This is the first time a gay character has been introduced in a comic book that is sold directly to young kids.

The Comic Book industry has introduced gay charactes in other comics, but those comic books were sold to older teenagers or adults.

There are some in the Gay Rights movement would eventually like to introduce gay characters in children's TV shows and Saturday morning cartoons.

cbs2chicago.com/local/Archie.gay.character.2.1653554.html

gayrights.change.org/blog/view/why_archie_comics_new_gay_character_matters

This direction the comic 'Archie' is going, with a gay character, would have been against the beliefs of John Goldwater, the founder of Archie Comics.

John Goldwater was a religious man, and allowed one of his comic book writer-artists who helped draw the Archie cartoons, Al Hartley, use the Archie characters in his Spire Christian Comic series.

19 out of the 59 Spire Christian Comics included the Archie characters, and in some of the other comics in the series, characters are seen reading Archie comic books.

In the Spire Christian Comics series, Hartley mercilessly satirized the 1960s and 1970s Counter Cultural Revolution that was taking place in the United States, portraying hippies and the mainstream Media as degenerate, and promoted Christian morality and beliefs:

Al Hartley was the son of Congressman Frederick Allan Hartley, Jr., (Republican from New Jersey), co-author of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Hartley

Wikipedia:

"He (i.e., Al Hartley) began writing and drawing for Archie Comics, infusing some of the stories with his Christian beliefs. At one point he was directed to cut back. "I knew God was in control, so I respected my publisher's position and naturally complied".[1] He later received a call from publisher Fleming H. Revell, for whom he then freelanced a comic-book adaptation of David Wilkerson The Cross and the Switchblade in 1972, quickly followed by adaptations of God's Smuggler by the pseudonymous Brother Andrew and The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.

Inspired, Hartley helped launch the Spire Christian Comics line, and pitched Archie president John L. Goldwater to let him license the Archie guys 'n' gals. The Jewish Goldwater, himself religious, agreed, and Spire went on to release 59 comics — at least 19 of them Archie titles — as well as six Bible stories, 12 biography adaptations, four other book or movie adaptations (including Hansi: The Girl Who Loved the Swastika), and nine children's comics."

List of Spire Christian Comics:

carpsplace.com/spire/spire.htm

Spire Christian Comics: 'Archie's Something Else' (with pro-religious and anti-liberal message):

carpsplace.com/spire/1975%20Archie's%20Something%20Else!.pdf

[quote="Dwyer, post:1, topic:196466"]
...]This is the first time a gay character has been introduced in a comic book that is sold directly to young kids.

The Comic Book industry has introduced gay charactes in other comics, but those comic books were sold to older teenagers or adults.

There are some in the Gay Rights movement would eventually like to introduce gay characters in children's TV shows and Saturday morning cartoons....]

[/quote]

While I agree that the Church's teachings on SSA (same-sex attraction) is clear (don't act on your attractions, etc.), a couple of things need to be considered first:[LIST]
*]Is Kevin Keller going to be acting on his attractions? (Until the issue comes out, I'm not sure we can know that!)
If he doesn't end up acting on his attractions, is it still going to give young children the message that acting on SSAs is ok?
*]When is it appropriate to teach your children about God's teachings on attraction or even sexuality? (Are the Archie fans too young for it?)
Certainly, parents should teach their children about this at some point. Otherwise, they get into the "real world" and don't know what to think or how to act (i.e., with charity) when they meet any LGBT folks out there. Knowing the theology on the matter is important!
[/LIST]

Well, I'll have no part of it. What has this country come to that this is even an issue?

Woo-hoo! One less character to compete for the affections of -]Ginger & Mary Ann/-] Betty & Veronica…

:stuck_out_tongue:
tee
A Betty/Mary Ann man

Hahahaha! You’ve gotta be kiddin’ me. First gay character?

Since Archie is (or will be) dating Valerie from Josie & the Pussycats, I guess it gets better and better.

The Archie comics seem to trying to shake things up a bit. First there was the marriage series, with alternate futures of Archie marrying either Betty (or Veronica) and raising a family. And more fun is coming…

A series of upcoming story arcs in Archie and Friends demonstrates just how far Archie has come. Issue #145 will be “Riverdale Shore,” a parody of the television show Jersey Shore, and the next two issues are a Twilight parody. Issue #148 inaugurates a multi-comic crossover event that will really shake up Riverdale. Written by Alex Simmons, the story will examine what happens when a nearby school closes and Riverdale is hit with an influx of new students. Suddenly Veronica may no longer be the richest girl in school, Moose may no longer be the strongest guy, and all the characters will have their worlds upended. The story will run across every comic in the Archie line, and the covers of all the comics combine to make one large scene.

publishersweekly.com/article/457158-Archie_Comics_Debuts_Gay_Character_and_More.php

[quote="Dale_M, post:6, topic:196466"]
Since Archie is (or will be) dating Valerie from Josie & the Pussycats, I guess it gets bThe Archie comics seem to trying to shake things up a bit. First there was the marriage series, with alternate futures of Archie marrying either Betty (or Veronica) and raising a family. And more fun is coming....

A series of upcoming story arcs in Archie and Friends demonstrates just how far Archie has come. Issue #145 will be "Riverdale Shore," a parody of the television show Jersey Shore, and

the next two issues are a Twilight parody

. Issue #148 inaugurates a multi-comic crossover event that will really shake up Riverdale. Written by Alex Simmons, the story will examine what happens when a nearby school closes and Riverdale is hit with an influx of new students. Suddenly Veronica may no longer be the richest girl in school, Moose may no longer be the strongest guy, and all the characters will have their worlds upended. The story will run across every comic in the Archie line, and the covers of all the comics combine to make one large scene.

[/quote]

Woo-hoo -- The return of the Groovie Ghoulies!

:p
tee

Yay! You remember the Groovie Goolies! :thumbsup:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groovie_Goolies

So do I - I loved that show. But I didn’t make the connection with the Twilight parody. This should be interesting. :slight_smile:

This sort of thing happens all the time, those who founded something die and others take over and turn it into something else entirely other than what was intended. It’s quite sad really.

Walt Disney, in my opinion, would have never approved of his company owning Touchstone Pictures and it’s Adult rated films, and also would never have approved of his company’s decision to not release “Song of the South” a film he was personally very proud of. I’m not sure he would have liked the idea of Disney ownership of ABC television either.

Also a similar thing is occurring with “The Smurfs” franchise as well.

“The times, they are a’changin’…”

I commend those who want to cite the RCC’s policy of condemning the sin, not the sinner (i.e., the homosexual is not in the wrong until he acts on his impulses)… but this is a cartoon character in public distribution.

Your children will be reading this.

As a kid in the 50’s & early 60’s, I read a lot of Archie comics and loved them. I was married & had 2 kids before I even understood what homosexuality was. People did not discuss subjects like that then or many other topics that are now considered everyday conversation.
Oh, for the “good old days” when we were so much more innocent for so much longer!
And **Merciless **is correct. Your children will be reading this trash! Thank God I’m not raising kids anymore. I’d have to live in a remote cabin in Vermont somewhere, w/ no TV, no radio, homeschool my kids and monitor every piece of reading material that came in the front door.
What a world we are living in. :crying:

I don’t know if innocent is the correct word. Growing up in the late 1950s and 1960s, self-restraint was practiced by all. Certain subjects were not discussed but when they were, the discussions were meant to be scholarly. The Kinsey Report, distorted as it was, had a great influence on people. It claimed to be an accurate accounting of human sexuality for men and women. Prior to 1973, homosexuality was classed as a psychological problem in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, then, in 1973, by non-scientific vote, it was removed.

I have every respect for gays and lesbians. However, the issue of same sex marriage has appeared on the ballot and that represents a fundamental shift away from natural law. It represents a novel rearrangement of the concept of marriage.

God bless,
Ed

I have no respect for gays and lesbians. People earn my respect, irrelevant of sexuality.

Sorry to branch the topic a little--but was anyone else blown away by this in the article?:

"...a young mother shopping for action-filled Iron Man comics for her 4-year-old son, says she would not show him the Archie comic, even when he's older. It's a little too soon to show sexuality to him, she says."

A 4-year-old reading violent comic books? A 4-year-old reading ANYTHING?

When my kids were 4 they got Goodnight Moon *, *Mama, Do You Love Me?, and *Black Beauty * read to them for bedtime stories. Or we asked them to make up their own.

Miz

geez...i kinda thing the gay movement is pushing a bit too much for 'rights'..that they wanted it to be mainstream in everything.

[quote="catsrus, post:11, topic:196466"]
As a kid in the 50's & early 60's, I read a lot of Archie comics and loved them. I was married & had 2 kids before I even understood what homosexuality was. People did not discuss subjects like that then or many other topics that are now considered everyday conversation.
Oh, for the "good old days" when we were so much more innocent for so much longer!
And **Merciless **is correct. Your children will be reading this trash! Thank God I'm not raising kids anymore. I'd have to live in a remote cabin in Vermont somewhere, w/ no TV, no radio, homeschool my kids and monitor every piece of reading material that came in the front door.
What a world we are living in. :crying:

[/quote]

Sugar, I moved from Vermont partly because it is one of the most. . .ahem, shall we shall 'progressive' places in the U.S. You'd be better off living in a remote cabin in the Deep South or Texas with all the above. The "left coast" and the Northeast are really troublesome though of course even in Vermont the bishop, for example, is really faithful and loyal and has done wonders in the last few years to drag Vermont Catholics from the clutches of the last-bastion-of-hippiedom back into Catholics who are given authentic Catholic teaching. Some of them may still ignore it but at least it's being taught!

I likewise grew up reading the Archies and I have noted in the past couple of years a distinct attempt to 'shake up' and 'drag Riverdale into the 21st' century.

However, I'm not going to wail just yet. I can remember when Chuck and Nancy came along (and Valerie in the Pussycats) how some of my older relatives thought the introduction of "negroes" was too much ("why don't they start their OWN comic") --and no, I did NOT agree with them. . .

It is possible that if this new character is presented as a chaste young man making good moral choices (remember that SSA in itself is not sinful), that this could be good not only for seeing that gays are not 'demons', but it could be good for the gay world too.

If young gay people are shown an appealing option of a chaste gay person, not going all "gay pride", not 'flaming', not acting all angsty, not playing a 'martyr' card but just another teenager trying to make good moral choices. . . then this may help to turn some gay people away from today's much more harmful portrayal of gay (and even straight) teens are lust-craved, hormone-driven, fornicating, foul-mouthed, snatching and disrespectful and oh-so-misunderstood 'heroes' against the 'evil empire' of 'adults.'

I'm willing to wait and judge on what is actually done and not pre-judge.

tantum~i think you’re right, lets see what angle they are taking on with this new character.

Tantum ergo is probably correct and I, as usual, overreact but I’ve noticed that the older I get, the more I long to not know so much of what I do know.
This is most likely a sympton of my age.

What’s the target audience of Archie Comics?

I used to read them at 8-9. I can’t see a teenager being interested in them (but I was 8 32 years ago)

So why do it? :shrug:

This story is getting old, so news reports are dropping off of Google, but as I recall part of the desire of Archie Comics is to attract an adult audience, much as super hero comics have done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.