Archp Ranjith on bishops who resist Summorum Pontificum: “instruments of the devil” [Fr. Z]

wdtprs.com/blog/2007/10/archp-ranjith-on-bishops-who-resist-summorum-pontificum-instruments-of-the-devil/

The Archbishop’s comments with Father Zuhlsdorf’s emphases:

“The motu proprio* Summorum Pontificum* on the Latin Liturgy of July 7th 2007 is the fruit of a deep reflection by our Pope on the mission of the Church. It is not up to us, who wear ecclesiastical purple and red, to draw this into question, to be disobedient and make the motu proprio void by our own little, tittle rules. Even not if they were made by a bishops conference. Even bishops do not have this right. What the Holy Fathers says, has to be obeyed in the Church. If we do not follow this principle, we will allow ourselves to be used as instruments of the devil, and nobody else. This will lead to discord in the Church, and slows down her mission. We do not have the time to waste on this. Else we behave like emperor Nero, fiddling on his violin while Rome was burning. The churches are emptying, there are no vocations, the seminaries are empty. Priests become older and older, and young priests are scarce.”

Grace and Peace,

This Archbishop’s words are impressive. I was not aware that there existed such bold voices in the Roman Catholic Church anymore. Perhaps I was wrong.

Peace and thanks for sharing.

All those who debate traditional Catholicism online would do well to read Archbishop Ranjith’s words carefully, and examine themselves carefully, to see if their words and attitudes are in line with those of our Holy Father, for whom Archbishop Ranjith is obviously speaking here.

Archbishop Ranjith is expected to be the immediate successor to Cardinal Arinze, by the way. What a blessing to the Church he is and will be!

That would be a blessing! The Archbishop isn’t afraid of the reality that the “new springtime” is hardly that — as His Excellency has shown that the bishops resisting the Holy Father and the lack of vocations is troublesome. May God Bless him!

Indeed!:thumbsup:

And why stop there? Who knows, Archbishop Ranjith might make a good pope…:smiley:

There are alot of people here in the U.S of A who resist any instruction or guidance from Rome., there is much thought that there is a schism occuring here already and it’s not the SSPX…

Agreed. They don’t call it the Amchurch for nothing.

Archbishop Ranjith is impressive, he supported Pope Benedict’s MP all the way… continue fight.
Archp Ranjith what a good example…

God Bless you… :thumbsup:

Even not if they were made by a bishops conference.

This is a significant comment. It appears that up to this point such conferences had equal power with the Pope. Seems that collegiality as Vatican II defined it has been vastly abused.

Archbishop Ranjith seems like a promising contender for succeeding Cardinal Arinze in his capacity, as well as for entering the College of Cardinals. If he’s appointed by B16, he better be prepared to not treat those US Bishops, or the USCCB, too lightly.

I wonder who the USCCB will appoint to chair the committee in charge of implementing (and interpreting) the MP for the United States? And will they attempt to “modernize” the 62 missal to be more in line with contemporary Novus Ordo forms and practices? Unfortunatly, I have already read posts in this forum in regard to the use of Altar Girls and EMHC’s (and probably burlap vestments and guitar music along with them) for the extraordinary use. I just hope Archp. Ranjith will promptly put the brakes on such moves.

I hope Benedict dismantles the current conferences in the USA and Canada. I don’t know how that would happen, or how impractical the results would be, but I think it would save the Church from great grief.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.