Are all angels (except those in hell) Saints? or saints? or not?

My 4 DDs are having a discussion while listening to the new vacation Bible school cd of songs. They asked me to ask if all angels are saints. St Michael the Archangel is both angel and saint. VBS is about saints this year. It’s a Catholic program. But I don’t for sure know that I’m right in saying that since all angels had free will in the beginning to follow God or not (and those who chose not to were thrown into hell w/ satan) and those that chose to follow God stayed angels in heaven and by that choice they were made saints. Anyone help us out here? TIA!!!

It is my understanding that being in Heaven makes you a saint. :slight_smile: If we, the faithful, know your name and know for certain that you are there (i.e., it has been declared so by the Church), you are a Saint (capital ‘s’ ).

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. (That’s why I posted, to make sure I understand.)

“Saint” in this case is an adjective from the Latin “sanctus/sancta” meaning “holy” through the Middle English form “sayncte”. It is exactly the same as the Greek adjective “hagios/hagia” which also means “holy.”

Saints are in Heaven with Jesus but Angels are not human; "Angels have been present since creation and throughout the history of salvation, announcing this salvation from afar or near and serving the accomplishment of the divine plan: they closed the earthly paradise; protected Lot; saved Hagar and her child; stayed Abraham’s hand; communicated the law by their ministry; led the People of God; announced births and callings; and assisted the prophets, just to cite a few examples. Finally, the angel Gabriel announced the birth of the Precursor and that of Jesus himself. (CCC 332)

i am no expert, but i believe angels are completely different from humans, "As purely spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness." (CCC 330).

Read the Catechism for the Churches teachings on Angels and everything else! (scborromeo.org/ccc/para/330.htm)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

All angels, that are in heaven, are saints (or holy).

catholic.com/thisrock/quickquestions/keyword/St.%20Raphael
<<Q:“ Please tell me how an angel becomes a saint, as in St. Michael the Archangel.
”A: The good angels are saints because God created them in a state of holiness or sanctity. He also enabled them to make a free choice for or against him. Those that made the choice for him were confirmed in their holiness. Those that chose against him lost their holiness.

Of those angels who remained in holiness, Scripture tells us the names of three—Michael (Dn 10:13), Gabriel (Dn 8:16), and Raphael (Tb 12:15). It became customary for Christians to speak of them as holy—“Holy Michael,” for example, which in Latin is Sanctus Michaelus. This then gets translated into English as Saint Michael.

There was no official canonization of these angels. Like the human saints in the first part of Church history, they were recognized as saints by popular acclaim rather than by papal decree.

God has chosen to keep the great majority of the angels anonymous to us in this life, and so we simply pray to “the holy angels” or one’s guardian angel without knowing their names.>>

btw, we are all “saints” because we are made holy (or set apart) by our baptism. The Church officially names Saints so that we have people to look up to–to be role models for how to live saintly lives here on earth and to be with God in heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.