Are all Carmelite sisters cloistered?

Im not talking about 3rd orders, I found myself looking at some wonderful convents here in California and became curious.

Are there any active carmelite sisters? Are they all barred from society and recieve visits only through those barred walls?

If you have any specific orders here in California, please let me know below. Thanks you.

God Bless.

I do not know about California however; there are wonderful, active, Carmelites, here in Minnesota who are active in the community. You should Google it or ask your parish office.

There are these sisters: carmelitesistersocd.com/

There are these active Carmelite communities:

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province)

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province)

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Canadian Province)

Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles

Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm

Corpus Christi Carmelite Sisters

Carmelite Sisters of St. Therese of the Infant Jesus

Sisters of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

I have visited the first two communities I listed so I can answer any questions you may have. The first three communities are from the same order but the different Provinces are very different. I highly recommend the Central Province as I have met the Provincial Superior and she is AWESOME! They are a BEAUTIFUL community!

Also, the Sisters in L.A. are very well known and, though I've never met them, I have heard great things! Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.