Are all Catholics against abortion?

I am asking because one Aunt I have goes to church every Sunday and she says she is a Catholic and is a big believer in abortion.

[quote="William_P, post:1, topic:203618"]
I am asking because one Aunt I have goes to church every Sunday and she says she is a Catholic and is a big believer in abortion.

[/quote]

By 'a big believer in abortion,' do you mean that she thinks every woman should have one? Or does she merely so no moral evil in abortion? Does she believe that it is OK to abort a child 30 minutes before birth?

They are required to be by the church. Many like your aunt are hypocrites and dont practice what they claim to believe in. You cannot be a Catholic and pro-abortion. If you try to say that then you are just lying to yourself. It is like being a Democrat and being in favor of the entire libertarian and religious right platform. They are not compatible.

[quote="JimG, post:2, topic:203618"]
By 'a big believer in abortion,' do you mean that she thinks every woman should have one? Or does she merely so no moral evil in abortion? Does she believe that it is OK to abort a child 30 minutes before birth?

[/quote]

She told me she believes every woman who is not married and pregnant should have an abortion if at all possible in any way.

Yes. All Catholics are against abortion. To say otherwise makes you non Catholic.

[quote="mjs1987, post:3, topic:203618"]
They are required to be by the church. Many like your aunt are hypocrites and dont practice what they claim to believe in. You cannot be a Catholic and pro-abortion. If you try to say that then you are just lying to yourself. It is like being a Democrat and being in favor of the entire libertarian and religious right platform. They are not compatible.

[/quote]

I see.

[quote="William_P, post:4, topic:203618"]
She told me she believes every woman who is not married and pregnant should have an abortion if at all possible in any way.

[/quote]

On the plus side, she is not in favor of single parenthood. And she is right: every child deserves to have a family with both parents.

On the negative side, she believes that killing the kid is an acceptable way to accomplish this.

In my opinion everyone should be against abortion. Catholics and all Christians should understand that life God's most wonderful creation begins at conception and I believe most religions do understand this, but there are hipocrites out there. I have never understood people like our illustrious speaker of the house that calls herself a good Catholic and Pro Choice at the same time. People in the public lime-light such as this that say their Catholic and at the same time call themselves PRO-Choice, should be excommunicated or at the very least reprimanded by the Pope(oh that's right she was). They're either not believing what the've learned,choosing to overlook it, or their doing it for the votes, either way it's a moral sin. Thou shall not kill.

I can't believe some of the comments I've read on this post -- ABORTION is KILLING a baby -- for those women who are not married and get pregnant, don't they realize that there are MANY couples out here who would love to have a child and for some reason can't get pregnant. I have three adopted children in my family, and I feel strongly about adoption -- when I think of those 3 adopted children it "blows" my mind as to what would have happened to those babies if their "moms" had decided to abort those babies -- yes, I said babies -- and one of my favorite sayings is that "If they were doing this to animals the animal rights activists would be surrounding the White House, and the Press would be with them!!!

[/quote]

Oh, she means like the Blessed Virgin?

[/quote]

The Church clearly teaches that abortion is evil in every circumstance.

A Catholic who denies this teaching would be subscribing to heresy.

Such a person would still be a Catholic by virtue of their baptism. they would simply be a Catholic in serious error.

They may possibly be in mortal sin and/or excommunication if in addition to *adhering *to such a belief they actually *acted *on it by having an abortion, helping others to have abortions, supporting abortion rights, teaching others abortion is acceptable, etc.

[quote="Dj87, post:8, topic:203618"]
I have never understood people like our illustrious speaker of the house that calls herself a good Catholic and Pro Choice at the same time.

[/quote]

She's not just pro choice - she's voted to support the legality of abortion, most recently she voted against the partial-birth abortion ban.

Why is she able to receive communion?

[quote="CoffeeHound, post:12, topic:203618"]
She's not just pro choice - she's voted to support the legality of abortion, most recently she voted against the partial-birth abortion ban.

Why is she able to receive communion?

[/quote]

There is big long thread about Pelosi and communion and bishops in one of "News" threads here.

Vatican I noted two ways a Pope could speak infallibly: *Ex Cathedra *and as part of the *Ordinary Magesterium *- the Pope in union with the Bishops and teaching tradtion of the Church.

Evangelium Vitae has Pope John Paul II speaking infallibly in the second way. He noted that the Church's teaching was "unchangeable."

This teaching on Abortion is thus part of Divine truth/law. Any Catholic opposing this truth under Canon Law is a heretic who has automatically excommunicated themsleves (no paperwork from their Bishop needed) and should not present themselves for Communion. The Code is clear cut and unambiguous in this regard.

All Catholics, in full communion with the Church, are against abortion.

CCC 2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Some people are under the false impression that legalizing abortion will stop people from doing abortions at home, thus making it safer for women, less risk of death/infection, etc. But abortion IS legal, and people are still performing "home abortions" anyway.

I believe there needs to be mandatory counseling for women who want abortions. Why do they feel this is their only option, or the correct option? Have they considered searching for a married couple to adopt the child from them, turning their unplanned pregnancy into an act of kindness? Many women today don't want children until later in life, and/or have fertility issues, so they would be very happy to adopt a baby from an unwed mother.

A lot of middle-aged women who had abortions as teenagers or in their early 20s are now stepping forward and speaking out against abortion. And many cases are "forced" abortions--women being talked into abortion because their boyfriend/boss/etc. doesn't want them to have a baby. These women need to know they're not alone, people are willing to fight for their right to KEEP their babies, and to be protected legally against those who wish their babies harm.

As for aborting babies born to unwed mothers, did you know that half of the babies born in the USA in 2007 were born to single moms? Interestingly enough, the rate of abortion in Russia is around 50%. It seems like the Russians agree with the OP's aunt.

Idea: instead of getting pregnant and having multiple abortions, why not learn some self-control? :eek: You will not be sorry in the long run.
1. Chastity prepares a person for marriage. Sex is only something they do with their spouse, not with a random person who they think is attractive. I think this would solve a lot of infidelity cases and help lower the divorce rate. It would also lower the rate of STDs.
2. Even in marriage, you might have to abstain on certain days during the woman's fertile periods if you're spacing children, don't want more kids, etc. (Assuming you are Catholic and use NFP.)
3. What if your spouse falls ill and cannot have sex for a long period of time? Or they just don't feel like having sex on some nights? Not learning to control your urges will lead to infidelity and a lot of emotional pain.

To answer the original question, Absolutely. If you're not, you probably have other problems with the Church's teaching and need to seek guidance, read more, and do some praying. Read to learn and grow in your faith. Some people call themselves Catholic, but are still reading to believe or make themselves somehow justify their actions in their own mind. Let's prayer for everyone that might be struggling in their faith. It is a journey, but you have to take the right path.

God Bless,
Crash001

[quote="Canto, post:14, topic:203618"]
Vatican I noted two ways a Pope could speak infallibly: *Ex Cathedra *and as part of the *Ordinary Magesterium *- the Pope in union with the Bishops and teaching tradtion of the Church.

Evangelium Vitae has Pope John Paul II speaking infallibly in the second way. He noted that the Church's teaching was "unchangeable."

This teaching on Abortion is thus part of Divine truth/law. Any Catholic opposing this truth under Canon Law is a heretic who has automatically excommunicated themsleves (no paperwork from their Bishop needed) and should not present themselves for Communion. The Code is clear cut and unambiguous in this regard.

All Catholics, in full communion with the Church, are against abortion.

CCC 2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

[/quote]

Sorry to derail, but does this hold for contraception too? i.e. someone who claims to be Catholic, not only uses contraception but openly condones it, critizises the teaching of it, etc?

[/quote]

Then she is not Catholic. She removed herself from the Church.

I have goes to church every Sunday and she says she is a Catholic and is a big believer in abortion.

[/quote]

Sad and shameful: ( I hope you are not confused about this issue. Abortion is murder!!! pure and simple and though there may be many reasons people (not just women) commit this murder there is no justification for murder of the innocent child.

Many people believe abortion is justified because they know it is a huge responsiblity to bring a child into the world. One that they realize they cannot fulfill. That opinion is governed by selfishness, fear, greed and other weaknesses in our sinful human nature. Because the responsibility of bearing children is so huge, the Church, in Her infinite wisdom, asks us to live in chastity,saving ourselves for marriage, because she knows that this huge responsibility can only be properly shouldered with the blessings, that we as a married couple, are given in the Sacrament of Matrimony.

When a person as fallen short of the Church's teachings (the Church knows we are all sinners)and cannot fulfill their obligations to parent the child that they have conceived, the Church encourages us to allow for adoption.

I hope this helps you and I will say a prayer for your Aunt, I know you must care about your Aunt and want her to understand why abortion is unacceptable and the seriousness of this matter.

While I am pro-life, and think that all Catholics should be, I personally don't want to call someone who believes in abortion and is Catholic "non-catholic". Maybe they are confused, mistaken, or something other than that. Charity demands that we educate the mis informed. And besides, it's REALLY FUN to irritate pro-choicers with little things like facts! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.