Are all Catholics treated equally?

My brother-in-law died of Parkinson’s Disease. There was no priest available due to a shortage of priests and so he couldn’t have a funeral Mass. Prayers were said at the funeral home and at the grave site by a deacon. When Ted Kennedy died there were six priests and a cardinal. Do the rich and powerful get special consideration?

I am very sorry for your loss and sorry that your family was unable to arrange for a funeral Mass for your relative. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, it is very possible that more effort is made to accommodate the well-known and influential. This isn’t the fault of the Catholic Church, but of frail human beings in communion with the Church. I imagine that similar consideration for prominent members is common to many non-Catholic and non-Christian communities.

The good news is that you can arrange for memorial Masses to be said for the repose of your relative’s soul. This can be done either at your parish or by a religious order. Just contact the coordinator for memorial Masses and ask what needs to be done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.