Are all four days of Easter week (Thursday-Sunday) days of obligation?

I’ve heard a few people say that Catholics must attend Holy Thursday Mass, Good Friday Mass, Holy Saturday Mass, and Easter Sunday Mass. I’ve also heard that only Easter Sunday Mass is manditory (well, obviously, as it is on a Sunday…;)). So, I will of course will be going to mass on Easter Sunday, but are the other three days required? It doesn’t make sense that one would be required to attend Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday, then Easter Sunday Mass the next day.

Thanks in advance!

Shaun

There is no Good Friday Mass and there is no Holy Saturday Mass.

There is the liturgy of the Passion on Good Friday. There is no Mass at all on Holy Saturday, but those for those who pray the Liturgy of the Hours, there are the usual offices (Office of Readings or Vigils, Morning Prayer, mid-Day prayer, and Evening Prayer).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Day_of_Obligation#United_States
usccb.org/norms/1246.htm

United States
(See United States norm complementary to canon 1246)
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, 1 January (note 1)
Ascension, 6th Thursday after Easter (only, since 1999, in the ecclesiastical provinces of Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Omaha, and Philadelphia. The others have transferred this celebration to the following Sunday.)
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 15 August (note 1)
All Saints’ Day, 1 November (note 1)
Feast of the Immaculate Conception, 8 December
Christmas, 25 December

While not obligatory, except for Sunday, our faith and love encourages us to go to the ceremonies, where possible.

God grant you a blessed Easter, Shaun. :slight_smile:

there is no such requirement as has been answered at least a dozen times already on these forums, and the question is also covered in the sticky on Lent & Easter
Easter is a holy day of obligation, and like every single other holy day, and Sunday, Mass on the evening before covers the obligation. Why would someone assume the rule would be different for Easter? you won’t find it on a list of holy days because it is a Sunday, like all the other 51 of the year. there is no obligation attached to the other celebrations of Holy Week but why someone would choose not to attend unless they work or cannot go is beyond me.

No, you are not required to attend Holy Thursday, Good Friday, or Holy Saturday Services. You may attend the Easter Vigil to count for the Easter Sunday Mass or you can just go to the Mass on Easter itself…one of those is an obligation.

Thank you all for your answers! I will try to make it to Mass on Thursday and Friday. But, if I cannot make it for some reason, I will not become scrupulous about it!

Have a great Easter everyone! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.