Are all non-church songs considered as use of God's name in vain?

Would a song such as this one (Holes in the floor of Heaven lyrics and song) be considered a usage of God’s name in vain??

And, would listening to a song with use of God’s name in vain be a sin (venial or mortal)?

I would read it as a direct address. The singer IS talking about someone who is in heaven, after all.

‘Non-church songs’ is ambiguous, don’t you think? There’s a certain Christian song I like that has the line, “God, I want to dream again”. In another song it could be an exclamation, taking the Lord’s name in vain. But from context, I know that the singer is telling God that she wants to dream again. I know that was the singer’s intent, despite the fact that I will probably never hear the song in a church.

Since interjections and direct addresses are basically indistinguishable, I read every similar use of God’s name as a direct address unless it’s obviously not. :shrug:

I invite you to read this :slight_smile:

The second commandment prescribes respect for the Lord’s name. Like the first commandment, it belongs to the virtue of religion and more particularly it governs our use of speech in sacred matters.

“The Lord’s name is holy.” For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.

The second commandment forbids the abuse of God’s name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints.

Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name. The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ’s Church, the saints, and sacred things.

No sin is mortal unless committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent - knowing what you are doing and doing it anyways.

That song is - to my subjective self - beautiful!

Furthermore it does not mention God’s name, but respectfully employs the title Lord and only once, at the very center of the song - giving it utmost importance.

I know of secular songs that gravely misuse God’s name - songs that insult the Lord or mention Him in sacrilegious or blasphemous contexts (though I won’t mention them here, of course…though you will hear them on tv, on the radio, in public places…) - and willfully indulging in singing or listening to such songs is most definitely sinful.

But a song like that? No way :slight_smile: So beautiful and touching…I am so grateful that you shared it :slight_smile:

Where, on earth did you hear such nonsense? Songs, such as this, even though secular are not sinful. What is sinful are the lyrics of many Rock n’ Roll and Rap songs!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.