Are All Priests The Same?

This seems like a childish question at first glance. But ARE all priests the same?

From your experience how were they different?
How are they all alike?
Are some more tolerant in the confessional?
What is a “bad” priest?

[quote=Exporter]This seems like a childish question at first glance. But ARE all priests the same?

From your experience how were they different?
How are they all alike?
Are some more tolerant in the confessional?
What is a “bad” priest?
[/quote]

I think your question should be are all chocolate chip cookies the same, lol, sorry just having fun.

Priests I think no.

For example we had Padre Pio; now there was a confessor. Lets say you were lucky enough go to confession to him. If you did not tell all your sins, or I am told, were not sufficiently sorry for your sins he would send you away until you fixed the situation.

I would like to tell you that I feel cheated if when I go to confession the priest dismisses my sins. I want the priest; by the power of Jesus to forgive my sin but not to dismiss them with a single Hail Mary or worse they will say just forget about your sins. If I have sinned I want it to be taken seriously for a single sin can keep me from the kingdom of God and that my friend is serious.

They are all at times Persona Cristi.

Yeah, I think priests are all different a little bit just like people are, you know? having attended Catholic schools my whole life I’ve met a bunch of them. I’ve met some really fantastic priests that obviously love what they do and you can tell and others that are a little bit more quiet (and kinda scary and imposing when you’re nine and headed into confession for the first time :stuck_out_tongue: ) My parish priest now is great, I am always nervous about confession it’s just the way I am. Serious butterflies. But always as soon as I step into the confessional and we talk he has this calming nature that is just so relaxing and makes you feel so much better. so you know, everyone has their own way of doing things and performing their vocation I guess.

Padre Pio, he had this Gift, it is discernment of Conscience. I have run into priests like this and I know people with this gift. It was a gift given to the original apostles and to Good priests. The priest sees your sin as if you commited it in front of him, be it by your voice or your expression. He can discern this or hear it in some way and he knows it is not the devil who tells him.

I had a priest one time ask me at the end of confession. Have you missed any masses and of course I had missed one.

I try to stay away from any priest that has a hidden fundamentlist agenda. Which today seems like a quite a few of them and I am not talking about having dinner with Orthdox pirests or Byzatines but full ecumincation with religons that are anti Christian in nature. This should be avoided but because so many sheep stray. It is difficult to avoid.

Thank goodness, but no they are not all the same!

Are all lawyers the same? Are all doctors the same? All teachers? For that matter, are all Catholics the same?

Granted, those men who choose to become priests have certain things in common, but they are not clones. Holy Orders doesn’t magically change a priest’s personality, wisdom, attitude, life experience, etc.

I know one priest who is from a NEW very authoritarian order which was founded in Argentina and now they have parishes all over the USA who is very arrogant to the point of telling all that when he orders them to do something they have too(NOTE!!! THEY ARE PARISH MEMBERS HE IS NOT PASTOR AND THEY ARE NOT CHURCH EMPLOYEES. HOWEVER HIS OVERUSE OF WORDS SUCH AS “ORDER” AND THAT THEY HAVE TO “OBEY” (AS IF THEY ARE CHILDREN) IS ANNOYING AND MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL= who does this guy think he is? THE POPE?? NOT a correct attitude especially the way pPriests are viewed nowadays=sheds more bad light on them. This guy need severe people skills. That’s why though I am orthodox, i am not an ULTRA conservative authoritarian. Nor would join a liberal order but neither one in which you are treated like a kid either. MODERATE is the answer!! Virtue lies in the CENTER of things as Aquinas says=, and vice lies to the EXTREMES!!

Regarding the “What is a bad priest?” question, in my opinion a bad priest is either lazy, indifferent, or ignorant of Church doctrine or policies.

An ordained priest who doesn’t get out and contact or interact with parishioners is lazy; and if he is never available for consultation with a difficult life issue or question of faith then he is indifferent; or if cornered the priest is incapable of answering questions about recent Vatican policy or Church doctrine then he is ignorant.
No, not all priests are the same, and some of the priests in my parish were so popular that people protested when they received a transfer (due to a good reassignment), and other priests were celebrated when they were transfered.

[quote=misericordie]I know one priest who is from a NEW very authoritarian order which was founded in Argentina and now they have parishes all over the USA who is very arrogant to the point of telling all that when he orders them to do something they have too(NOTE!!! THEY ARE PARISH MEMBERS HE IS NOT PASTOR AND THEY ARE NOT CHURCH EMPLOYEES. HOWEVER HIS OVERUSE OF WORDS SUCH AS “ORDER” AND THAT THEY HAVE TO “OBEY” (AS IF THEY ARE CHILDREN) IS ANNOYING AND MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL= who does this guy think he is? THE POPE?? NOT a correct attitude especially the way pPriests are viewed nowadays=sheds more bad light on them. This guy need severe people skills. That’s why though I am orthodox, i am not an ULTRA conservative authoritarian. Nor would join a liberal order but neither one in which you are treated like a kid either. MODERATE is the answer!! Virtue lies in the CENTER of things as Aquinas says=, and vice lies to the EXTREMES!!
[/quote]

Anyone ever run into THIS TYPE of priest???

[quote=misericordie]Anyone ever run into THIS TYPE of priest???
[/quote]

Well??:slight_smile:

[quote=misericordie]Well??:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Not yet, but I am looking:eek: God Bless

[quote=misericordie]Anyone ever run into THIS TYPE of priest???
[/quote]

Why don’t you log on to an Argentinian parish or Forum? Then come back and let us know.:slight_smile:

[quote=TNT]Why don’t you log on to an Argentinian parish or Forum? Then come back and let us know.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Actually, these are well and good old AMERICAN Parishes here in the USA: now there are about 15. Oh, yes, the priest though formed in this order in Argentina, was born and raised here in the USA. Oh yes, as well as myself: Born, raised, and Theology/University educated here in the USA.
That said, now to the more INTELLECTUAL question: Has anyone ever run into this “obedience” “Authoritarian” type of priest in his or her parish??? Otherwise I will assume there is no such thing: all priests are very friendly, they are good listeners, they have great people skills, and oh yes ALWAYS are in a good mood.

Obedience is good in theory, but that depends upon who and what we obey. We should obey the Church first and foremost. People in religious orders take vows of obedience to their superiors, (who are in turn suppose to always obey the Church.) But just like all things, authority can be abused and the Church can be disobeyed. When priests in the Church disobey the Church teachings, look out!

My definition of a bad priest is a priest in mortal sin. They spread sin deep into the Body of Christ like a surgeon who doesn’t wash his hands.

There was a time when I might have added a long line of characteristics I wanted in a priest. No more. I want my priest to simply be holy. Aaah, if only all priests were holy… No, they aren’t all alike. Let’s pray that they be holy.

St. John Vianney, pray for our priests!

I started this thread with a simple question, “Are all Priests alike?”

I knew the answer before I posted it. But THANKS for the responces.

I did learn one thing from misericordia though. My favorite Priest from 50 years ago was the Monsenor who instructed me in Californis. ( I am a convert) . He was very much like a drill sergant. He didn’t speak much but when he did…he was correct. I liked him very much. Some people were afraid of him. I suppose misericordia would classify my favorite priest as “authoritarian”. Thats O.K. .

I want a Priest to be totally honest - even if it hursts you. What else ? I knew drill sargents were just doing their job, and so was the Monsenor Matthew.

[quote=gardenswithkids]Obedience is good in theory, but that depends upon who and what we obey. We should obey the Church first and foremost. People in religious orders take vows of obedience to their superiors, (who are in turn suppose to always obey the Church.) But just like all things, authority can be abused and the Church can be disobeyed. When priests in the Church disobey the Church teachings, look out!

My definition of a bad priest is a priest in mortal sin. They spread sin deep into the Body of Christ like a surgeon who doesn’t wash his hands.

There was a time when I might have added a long line of characteristics I wanted in a priest. No more. I want my priest to simply be holy. Aaah, if only all priests were holy… No, they aren’t all alike. Let’s pray that they be holy.

St. John Vianney, pray for our priests!
[/quote]

Yeah, but when they talk to LAY people to use terms like: “I ORDERED you to do that” does not operate well. LAITY don’t take vows of obedience. Why can’t he say, “can i ASK you to do so and so” etc, why be DRILL seargents when people resond better to kindness?

[quote=misericordie]Actually, these are well and good old AMERICAN Parishes here in the USA: now there are about 15. Oh, yes, the priest though formed in this order in Argentina, was born and raised here in the USA. Oh yes, as well as myself: Born, raised, and Theology/University educated here in the USA.
That said, now to the more INTELLECTUAL question: Has anyone ever run into this “obedience” “Authoritarian” type of priest in his or her parish??? Otherwise I will assume there is no such thing: all priests are very friendly, they are good listeners, they have great people skills, and oh yes ALWAYS are in a good mood.
[/quote]

I grew up in the obedience/authoritarian style of Catholic instruction at the Gate of Heaven School. For me to speak man-to-man on an equal level with a Priest is a new experience for me. I still acquiese and show respect to every and any priest I speak even if I totally disagree with their politics or on certain peculiar issues.

[quote=Exporter]I started this thread with a simple question, “Are all Priests alike?”…

I knew the answer before I posted it. But THANKS for the responces.

…I want a Priest to be totally honest - even if it hursts you. What else ? I knew drill sargents were just doing their job, and so was the Monsenor Matthew.
[/quote]

Well said, Exporter…:thumbsup:

no way… that said, i have been blessed all my life with Priest that are holy men of God… my heart breaks when i see someone who has suffered at the hands of a Priest who has slipped… :frowning:

but, the great majority are men who spend their lives in the service of God and men and they should be in our daily prayers… :thumbsup:

This very point was discussed in our RCIA class Wednesday night, and I learned a couple of things that I didn’t know. (No…really! http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage18/13.gif)

Most priests are Diocesan or secular priests. (same thing)
These take a vow of obedience to their bishop. That’s it.

Priests from orders like Jesuit, Francicscan, Benedictine, etc, take vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Celibacy however is a vow we ask all our priests to take.

So there are differences just based on that.

The rest are pretty much snow flakes, leaves, and grains of sand as far as their personalites…just like us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.